Bonds breaks record...

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Do you care? Bionic arm apparratus, steroids, livlier ball... I just don't see any validity to this so called accomplishment of his.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Yes, he's #1 allright, every time the news showed the clip yesterday, I raised my hand with finger raised and told him so!!! DD

:* :* :*

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Hey. Babe Ruth was juiced on hot dogs and beer. I 'spect they were legal, at the time, though

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
You expect technology to have an impact on performance. Golf has seen this type of change as has most sports. Aaron's equipment was undoubtedly better than Ruth's but all you have to do is look at pictures of Hank, Barry and Ruth and there can be no question as to the use of drugs by Bonds. The arm apparatus is as much in question to me as anything else.

Sadly the same sentiment surrounded the breaking of Roger Marist's single season record.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Helps that the league juiced the balls after the 94 strike. Nevermind... Lanier mentioned that. LOL

Just curious... what record did he break again?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>Steroids on not, he still had to hit the ball didn't he.

If you don't understand and APPRECIATE the difference then I won't be wasting my breath trying to straighten your thinking out. Maybe someone else with more patience than I will come along and comment.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
If they shortened the fences to 100' he would still have to hit it too. Do you think that would be ok? Basically thats what happened...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Steroids on not, he still had to hit the ball didn't he.

Just as I was told a long time ago and it still applies today, especially bonds;

There are only 600 and something professional players in the base ball league and that is less than one thousand of one percent of the population (or something like that) so he is not the only one who can achieve that record ... someone, somewhere is a lot better than he is or ever could be.

fuzzface

Seasoned Expediter
It has taken 33yrs for this record to fall. This is a Huge achievement for anybody. Liked or disliked,steroids or not. Give the man his just praise. He is a great player. and now the Home-run king.

Here are the facts; Bonds has never failed a drug test, all allegations are hearsay, Bonds admitted to taking a substance he thought was flaxseed oil.

The last time I checked, we live in the USA. Innocent until proven guilty. The talking heads had allot of time to prove him guilty and haven't. The year before he hit 73 home runs, he hit 49, his highest ever. The jump makes it questionable, but still, innocent until proven guilty. Give him his due.

Fuzzy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I saw a photo of him when he first came up with the Pittsburgh Pirates,skinny guy with a normal size head. Now you can bulk up your body with exercise and training but I don't see how training can make your head be the size of a Watermelon.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
> The year before he hit 73 home runs,
>he hit 49, his highest ever. The jump makes it questionable,
>but still, innocent until proven guilty. Give him his due.

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER will I agknowledge Barry Bonds as the home run king.

Sports Illustrated did a good story on Barry's career with his hitting stats and weight year by year.His hitting improved yearly (as they should)for the first 8-9 years and his weight stayed basically the same.Then came the 2001 season and his stats went through the roof.And oh yeah,he added about 50 lbs of 'roid induced muscle.

Any proof that anyone needs to see that these so called "home run heroes" are on steroids can be seen on Mark McGuire.Since he has retired from the game and got off of the wonder drugs,he looks like a shell of the person he was when he played with all that extra skin just hanging off of him.DD.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
"Bonds admitted to taking a substance he thought was flaxseed oil."

I guess he thinks we all came in on the last load of pumpkins if he expects us to believe that one. I was born recently but not just last night!

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Stop the presses!!! Yes, Barry has tested positive... for amphetemines (sp?). Now, they are illegal in baseball, however they don't rank on the same plane as all out steriods. They are a banned substance, but in baseball they only garner warnings, then suspensions after the third positive or something. I look at it this way, he broke the record, but it will never be as special as when it was broken by Aaron or as when Babe Ruth broke that huge home run record set by Harry Stovey... a whopping 122.

Either way anyone looks at it, it's a record. Only time will tell if that record is tainted by him using juice. And for everyone wondering, McGuire broke Maris' record using andro. And at the time, andro was a legal substance and he openly admitted using it. So that one should be laid to rest. But I agree, more steps should be taken to look at it harder. All of them.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Fuzz Face, I will repeat myself. Just look at old pictures of this guy and tell me hasn't taken performance enhancing drugs. Innocent until proven guilty? Sure, last time I checked nobody is trying to lock the guy up. He has broken a record that is sacred and done it under a cloud of controversy. He does not get the benefit of civil rights when it comes to public opinion and approval. Using your logic I guess we should let OJ have a pass since he was found innocent...

I agree that he will never be considered the Home Run King, certainly not by me and alot of other people.

I don't agree that we will always wonder. I think it is obvious.

Let A Rod or someone else break the record and if they don't turn into a melon head I can get behind the breaking of the record.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
drugs or no drugs,20 years ago I was much smaller,head was smaller too,my drug of preferance is a good portehouse steak,about 1nch and a half thick,pittsburgh rare,twiced baked potato,and sweet and sour dressing on my salad,and as far as the homerun record,did Ruth play as many games as Aaron,and did Aaron play as many games as Bonds.Lets look at the rushing records in football,1000 yard game should be nothing in as many games as they play today,and as far as i'm concerened Jim Brown is and will always be the man,his record was on grass not a fast plastic field and in less games,and no 'roids,just beat his wife and girl friend to loosen up,I shouldnt have said that,he might come looking for me.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
and as far as
>i'm concerened Jim Brown is and will always be the man,his
>record was on grass not a fast plastic field and in less
>games,and no 'roids,just beat his wife and girl friend to
>loosen up,I shouldnt have said that,he might come looking
>for me.

If he doesn't, you can bet the ladies on this forum will!!

;) ;)