Blinded by the light

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone else noticed that the LED's that they are using in emergency vehicles are MUCH brighter now?

I can understand the need to be seen, but these new lights will sear your retinas.

Case in point, I was on I-57 in IL not long ago and there were 2 ambulances on the shoulder of the road. These 2 units were putting out so much light and at several different angles, that it was nearly impossible for me to tell where I was on the road.

I really think they have reached the point where they are creating an unsafe environment at their emergency scenes. Opinions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I completely agree they are way to bright. I have noticed some have the ability to dim them once their on the shoulder. Some of the lights they use in work zones can also be blinding.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The lights are there for safety although they certainly are bright I am also in the lighting business and can't understand why these construction lights are rarely configured correctly ,crank em high and aim em down people the way they were designed to be deployed not straight into our faces!!

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed! Some of those lights are way too bright and unnecessary. No, don't say because I'm old and that glares come with age. I'm a senior citizen and I need to be respected! LOL.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I could not agree more!

Another one that bothers me is on a really dark night and I am approaching construction and the lights are shining into my eyes and then I have to maneuver around barricades. If it is a straight shot it is not a problem as I can glance to the side.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I agree team Caffee. The lights are getting to the point where its very unsafe for all drivers

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've been thinking a study is in order. Someone needs to compare the use of the "too bright lights" and leo getting hit at night. Twice in the last two months I've not seen a law enforcement officer hidden in the glare until after passing them. One set of strobes was so disorienting I felt like I was going to tip over in my seat as I rolled past. The other was a patrol car sitting across both lanes of traffic to force traffic to exit the highway. The lights made both lanes and the exit disappear along with the officer who couldn't have know how much a sitting duck he was. I have found that using my high beams will cut the glare considerably (yes, I know).

Some of the led traffic lights are just as bad. Especially the green when it's raining at night.

eb

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Twice in the last two months I've not seen a law enforcement officer hidden in the glare until after passing them.

This is exactly the experience that I had with the ambulances, the EMT's were invisible untill I was right beside them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Monty

Expert Expediter
My wife's department chief stated that if they received to many complaints, they would place the lights on a permanent "dim" position.

There are valid reasons, at times, to have them at full output, but they can indeed become a hazard themselves.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
There's a valid point to both sides and I agree about the construction sites. On the other hand when drivers feel that texting, phone conversations or just general distractions are more important than moving over for an emergency vehicle or just plain ignoring an emergency vehicle responding to a call it requires not only bright lights but a good size hammer.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I just wish the roadside construction guys would learn how to use the light towers correctly, there not supposed to be tilted or aimed at us or the road, there supposed to be high enough that they cover large areas also...Ive seen these strobes and if you get stuck near one its almost hypnotic..I wonder how long it could be till that flashing triggers an epileptic siezure in someone...

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know of a man who sued the state of va and won after he got into a accident because the light blinded him.