Beware when considering "opportunities"

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just read an ad offering a used short body Sprinter van for $1,000 a month for 60 months after a $1500 down payment. Without proper research some might consider that an acceptable opportunity to get into expediting, especially if they have credit challenges. With proper research they'd know that model has a 2 skid limit which you don't want in a Sprinter as well as it being about double the market price when it's finally paid off. As the old saying goes, caveat emptor.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
C'mon, Leo! $61,500 is a GREAT price for a Sprinter! (Maybe in Australian dollars... or pesos)

If you're desperate enough to lease/purchase a vehicle, at least get something around market value. Leo's right. That ad has failure written all over it... in stone!

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Umm....

Ok I think I see an opportunity here.

I can buy a 2500 for cheap, a monthly payment for me at $750 for 48 months and lease it to someone at $1100 a month for 60 months with a $1500 down payment. Wow what a great investment - I can make $30K for an extra year of waiting... not bad.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe EO history shows the there are people challenged enough in the IQ department to jump at an "opportunity" like this. Sad...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey! Did you get permission to quote me? :7

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Beware when considering

Please direct any questions to the Highway Star legal department.

Oh, and let's keep it on topic, O.K.?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
RE: Beware when considering

Well one good thing about EO is usually when someone sees something fishy someone will raise what I like to call the BS flag. The sad thing about is we all see people come here and ask for advice and when they get it they tell you they are going to go ahead and do what they wanted to to begin with. Am I the only one to notice this? So one of these people will most likely see us talking about how it's a bad deal then jump on it to try and prove us wrong. for 65 grand one could buy a decent d unit I would think. I guess it depends on your definition of decent.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>I believe EO history shows the there are people challenged
>enough in the IQ department to jump at an "opportunity" like
>this. Sad...
And then they'll lease it on with All Types

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Lease purchases come to mind. These usually turn into a disaster.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You know what? It works the other way also. I've been wanting to retire for some time now, and have a thriving business i'd like to find someone good to continue with. For the price of a good truck I have offered a truck, and established business to a couple folks. And, about the third time they looked this gift horse in the mouth, I sent em packing. Yes watch out for some of the buy a truck and sign on but, there are still opportunitys out there if you have the "spirit".

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know when I was thinking about getting into Prime's lease purchase I called OOIDA since I am a member. The lady there told me not to do it, and if I was cosidering it what companies to consider it with. She also told me before I signed a contract with anyone to fax it to her and let her read it thru to make sure I didn't miss anything. Needless to say I never did it. At one point I thought about buying a truck out right that needed a lil work and hauling grain local when that was busy then swap to containers when the grain slowed down, but I decided not to.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Hauling grain doesn't pay enough to be worthwhile . I worked a couple of years as a company driver pulling a hopper bottom payed a percentage . Then I went to a hazmat tanker on percentage . I'd take home more than I used to gross on the hopper bottom and worked about 15 hours a week less .

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Col. you know the story stop dealing with people who are not Business People, otherwise there are no gift Horses only business deals which deliver Results and not Reasons.