Best way forward

LufkinLogisticsInc

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hello,

There is tons of information here but some of it can be overwhelming and we need some personalized information. I already see loads I can haul on DAT etc but I'm unsure of the legal requirements. (MC# DOT# etc) I'd like to get to work as quickly and with as little headache as possible.

I am a hands on real estate investor who is looking for something to do in between flips. (It's not nearly as glamorous as on TV) I already own a Sprinter 3500 free & clear so I feel like I should be putting it to work even when there's no houses to gut/flip. My fiance is a nurse and once covid hit I couldn't stand to see her go to work without proper PPE so I formed a company and was able to import masks but at nearly zero profit margin. (Literally pennies) I'm trying to figure out the transportation side of things so I personally can haul expedited loads in my Sprinter until each house sells & I buy another. At that point I'll focus on the house and then when I'm done rehabbing it & waiting for it to sell I will jump back in the van and start hauling again. I could also hire a driver to take over while I'm working on the houses but it seems like there may not be enough profit for that?

Basically it would be really nice to set myself up to where i'm bringing in money regularly as opposed to every 3-4 months when I sell a house. How to I position myself to do that both legally and professionally? I figure I cant work for someone else because they'll need me to be consistent and I want to haul completely on my schedule. Can I still work under someone else's MC# or would I need to obtain my own? If I obtain my own will people still work with me being brand new?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My first question is, how would you feel if full time expediters decided to dabble in real estate then asked you to tell them how to do it. Not happy i would guess. That's what you are doing in reverse.
Just saying.

LufkinLogisticsInc

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
My first question is, how would you feel if full time expediters decided to dabble in real estate then asked you to tell them how to do it. Not happy i would guess. That's what you are doing in reverse.
Just saying.

Gosh I hope not. Everyone needs a place to live just like everyone needs interstate commerce. I have an abundance mindset and am happy to share any and all of my real estate knowledge freely... Then again maybe that's why I'm not filthy rich haha... Now that I think about it all successful people that make their money in other industries do indeed dabble in real estate, which is wise.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm semi-old and retired and frankly lazy now so typing long responses is no longer in my wheelhouse. I'll just go with expediting is FAR more than getting in, turning a key and driving down the road. I'll throw out one keyword. Insurance. Proper insurance at the correct levels will put an end to your expediting if it's sporadic based on house flipping. Rates are insane now and will eat up any profit you made during the downtime while working on the next house. There's also the waiting. You see a great load on whatever source you are using and take it and make ok money but now you are hundreds if not thousands of miles from home, among how many other expediters, waiting for the next load which may or may not take you back toward home. Are you going to camp out in the back of your Sprinter or use your load profit to pay hotel rooms. Nope. It's LOTS more than just seeing what appears to be a profitable load and turning the key and driving.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Inside the cargo area, what is the distance between the two wheel boxes at the floor level?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The earlier DRW Sprinters were narrower between the wheel wells. 38 inches?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The earlier DRW Sprinters were narrower between the wheel wells. 38 inches?
I don't think it as that narrow. Too narrow for a 48" skid, tho. I think it was 46 or 44 inches.