Best ST box size??

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I really DO believe some of you are reading "cheap freight" into my "cheap truck" post. Not so Elmer!!

But, having typed that, I certainly could have run cheap freight and still had a heluva lot left over on the bottom line. But, to each their own, I could care less anymore how anyone chooses to spend or make their money in this business.. But I will suggest running the roads in a double bunk 110" condo with all needed amenities, is a long ways from pitching a pup at each rest period. I will assure you, my way is not THE way, just another avenue to consider that worked way better it seems, than 99% of what I see going on. There is just too much "herd and employee" mentality. Thats all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think one of the issues is an apples/oranges comparison of trucks. Most would consider the cabover as a 70" condo sleeper if comparing to a Bentz or ARI or W900 or whatever other truck/sleeper. Using the cabover does however allow a much longer cargo box within the 40' rule. It seems strange there isn't enough demand to keep cabovers in production since the chassis and a lot of it are the same as conventional models.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Probably will reduce headcount of drivers, and push driver demand up, along with freight rates.

Not at all.

We will never have a true driver shortages that can and will drive up base rates until we have real training and real accountability at all levels. CSA 2010 address issues post incident, not pre-incident and like other feel good things it still masks issues of bad drivers.

Col, I wasn't implying you were talking about the cheap truck, cheap rate thing but rather the mentaility of others when they see their bottom line and know what they can get away with.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I think one of the issues is an apples/oranges comparison of trucks. Most would consider the cabover as a 70" condo sleeper if comparing to a Bentz or ARI or W900 or whatever other truck/sleeper. Using the cabover does however allow a much longer cargo box within the 40' rule. It seems strange there isn't enough demand to keep cabovers in production since the chassis and a lot of it are the same as conventional models.

The apples to oranges facts are in fact when I stop my cabover to rest and have a coolie while watching the news, I can swivel my chair, click the clicker, grab a coolie, and never have to move my a... Now try that with what YOU might envision as a true 110. IF you have not tried it my friend, don't knock it, because you TRULY have not a clue. I would put usable/comfortable and available space in a cabover against ANY configuration available. The largest distinguishing factor with a cabover is the apparent/percieved difficulty getting to the seat. IF, you are in reasonable physical condition you should....after multiple trys.....get there and not have to leave for quite a while if'n you have topped it off with the prescribed load of 250 gallon(2500 mi). That seems to be a week/week n half for most clowns. Jes drive your pannel waggon and leave the speching of trucks to the truck spechers, not the cookie cutter truck buyers.

Oppinions are in fact like *** holes, but, a few peoples background and socialization SHOULD allow them to figgure some things out, while others can't for a myrade of reasons. Drive what you choose, make what you want. It's all good.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not knocking anything and I've seen swivel seats in "hood" units too so one could argue that's say 110" of "sleeper" sleeper plus another 40" of "cab" sleeper making it a 110/150 comparison. I don't have a dog in the hunt so I don't care. I'm just offering a counterpoint for discussion. I know the last year or few years the Argosy was available with a stairway that swung out when the door opened to make it easier to get in/out. Not sure how usable it would be in freezing/other conditions but it was interesting at least.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Col...Nice truck!
I had the chance to drive a cabover while I was in truck driving school. Looking out that window is a different perspective for sure, and had a heck of a lot more room than I thought it would.
Personally, I wouldn't want to have one as a team that stays out for weeks at a time, but I can definitely see the freight hauling/money making advantages.
We've been out here a few years, driving for a fleet owner, but if we were to ever buy our own, it would be a class 8 tractor, smaller sleeper and larger box.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'm not knocking anything and I've seen swivel seats in "hood" units too so one could argue that's say 110" of "sleeper" sleeper plus another 40" of "cab" sleeper making it a 110/150 comparison. I don't have a dog in the hunt so I don't care. I'm just offering a counterpoint for discussion. I know the last year or few years the Argosy was available with a stairway that swung out when the door opened to make it easier to get in/out. Not sure how usable it would be in freezing/other conditions but it was interesting at least.

Therein lies the problem. The math experts do some theory, but NEVER test their theory, then the schmoes that rely on the math experts theory end up with a crap sandwich. If you don't or have never had a dog in a particular hunt, you might consider setting on your hands, or in a group discussion....breathing thru your nose.

Good info there pelican, that is something usefull from someone whom has been there and done that. Now, depending on what configuration of cabover you drove....what exactly is the reason(s) you'd choose not to run one

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Bentley,

When you hear people discuss their 2-6 skids loads they are always being offered, they are telling you what they see, based on the butt end of the elephant. Dispatch is only going to offer you what they know you can haul. As the carrier owner/dispatcher for my company, I see 2-6 skid loads, and then 10-12 skids loads. Even a conventional with 70'' bunk and 24 foot box will put you further along than many. Being able to haul two extra skids that the rest of the herd sitting in Bordentown or Lodi can't, can make a huge difference. You could be number ninth out and leave before the rest. Oh, and make sure you have some blankets and straps. Straps? You would be amazed at how many loads some carriers broker to a partner, merely because none of the trucks sitting within 150 miles own more than a couple of straps.

Recently, I spoke with a gentleman who had run for FDCC and was currently running for the Cat. He had an FL-70 with a 16 foot box. Why? Because FDCC told him that most of their customers only needed a few skids moved, and they needed more of this type of vehicle. Why would they tell you this? Because they are thinking about their bottom line, not yours. He's kicking himself now.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Recently, I spoke with a gentleman who had run for FDCC and was currently running for the Cat. He had an FL-70 with a 16 foot box. Why? Because FDCC told him that most of their customers only needed a few skids moved, and they needed more of this type of vehicle. Why would they tell you this? Because they are thinking about their bottom line, not yours. He's kicking himself now.....

Doesn't that sound familiar?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Does anyone use a flatbed with a rolling tarp or curtainside for expediting?
On the subject of cabovers. There is at least one in the FedEx CC fleet. It is a 2003 Argosy painted red. It has the factory sleeper and an add on sleeper. I have not figured out how he tilts the cab with the add on sleeper and I didn't think to ask.
But it is a good looking truck.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Does anyone use a flatbed with a rolling tarp or curtainside for expediting?
On the subject of cabovers. There is at least one in the FedEx CC fleet. It is a 2003 Argosy painted red. It has the factory sleeper and an add on sleeper. I have not figured out how he tilts the cab with the add on sleeper and I didn't think to ask.
But it is a good looking truck.

Landstar has at least one Cabover that has a 28 ft curtainside.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Let me say this though. If you have a unit that is paid off, is making money, and it isn't unusually hard to keep it loaded, then I would say to keeping running the wheels of it while you save for that next purchase, and/or you find the "ideal" unit.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just think what a cabover with a 30 footer behind it and 18 skid spots on the floor, quad axle(tandem plus a steer air tag) capable of legally [carrying] 34,000lbs would do for your bottom line. You could be 20th in line and get out first "IF" your dispatch crew were any good at all. If tho, you are going to sign on with the average outfit, a cookie cutter type truck will do just fine, because most dispatchers have no clue how to utilize the max capacity of equipment.

To answer the curtainside question....we utilized curtainsides extremely successfully. There are companys that will utilize any type equipment you choose to field, you just have to find the fit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just think what a cabover with a 30 footer behind it and 18 skid spots on the floor, quad axle(tandem plus a steer air tag) capable of legally [carrying] 34,000lbs would do for your bottom line. You could be 20th in line and get out first "IF" your dispatch crew were any good at all. If tho, you are going to sign on with the average outfit, a cookie cutter type truck will do just fine, because most dispatchers have no clue how to utilize the max capacity of equipment.

Ain't that the truth.

It seems that with the amount of freight some companies have, a truck should be hitting HOS resets all the time.

To answer the curtainside question....we utilized curtainsides extremely successfully. There are companys that will utilize any type equipment you choose to field, you just have to find the fit.

Dumb question ... maybe it is too much driving but how do you secure the box type freight with a curtainside?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Greg,you can strap over the top with a curtain side,problem is most companies won't load a curtain side except with flatbed freight

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Most companies, a 20 footer, even though it may be able to haul a 20000 load, because they have a tandem axle,doesnt mean they are going to get a load that should be put on a tractor trailer.

guido4475

Not a Member
Bentley,

When you hear people discuss their 2-6 skids loads they are always being offered, they are telling you what they see, based on the butt end of the elephant. Dispatch is only going to offer you what they know you can haul. As the carrier owner/dispatcher for my company, I see 2-6 skid loads, and then 10-12 skids loads. Even a conventional with 70'' bunk and 24 foot box will put you further along than many. Being able to haul two extra skids that the rest of the herd sitting in Bordentown or Lodi can't, can make a huge difference. You could be number ninth out and leave before the rest. Oh, and make sure you have some blankets and straps. Straps? You would be amazed at how many loads some carriers broker to a partner, merely because none of the trucks sitting within 150 miles own more than a couple of straps.

Youre exactly right on this one.I could never understand having a s/t with a small and short box on it.