Cargo Van Best Insulation for Van Floor

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We have 3" of insulation under our 3/4" plywood floor and 2-1/2" in the walls and ceiling.
I don't recall seeing any pictures of yours of the insulation, or of the finished inside, but I do recall you building it with plenty of room under the floor for insulation. The comments about insulation weren't really directed toward you, but more to anyone reading who might not realize just how much a difference insulation will make.

Without actually seeing your van, I'm only guessing at why yours is going through a gallon every 8 hours instead of every 12 or 15. It could just the that the gas models burn fuel that fast, too. I dunno. I admit I have almost no experience with the B units at all. All I've ever done with one is connect it to a newly installed battery bank for someone .

I can email you a copy of the actual invoice... it was JUST for the Espar and it's installation.
I'd like that. Not that I don't believe you, but I'm just curious. I know the gas models cost a little more than the diesel models, but I thought it was more like $100 or so.

If you don't want to mess with scanning and e-mailing it, a PM with the model, parts and labor breakdown, and who and where will be fine. I was thinking the B4 was about $1700, not including installation or anything.

Of course, your van isn't exactly off the rack. Was the extra money for the installation in labor costs? :D

Also, while I'm at it, did you install the Espar while you were building the van, or after the fact? (probably should have asked that one in your van thread).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Which model yamaha did you have westmicher?
Just as important, which model of POS Chinese generator do you have, and where did you get it? :D

Three years is a long time for most of those things. There may be a few who want to go that route.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Just as important, which model of POS Chinese generator do you have, and where did you get it? :D

Three years is a long time for most of those things. There may be a few who want to go that route.

I am responsible for quite a bit of Menards sales volume. Every POS Chinese generator I have bought came from there. I just bought (today) another one just because it was so stinking cheap. It was clearance (last one - display) for $147.00 minus an 11% rebate for a 2000 watt continuous, 2300 watt surge gas generator! It may still be here for the next truck when it hits the road... I couldn't help it.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Gasoline has something like 20-22% less energy than diesel does... and the invoice was $2,468.00 exactly, which includes 6 hours labor @ $89.00 each, B4 Airtronic gas model @ $1,750.00, and a $79.00 heater cover to protect it. $105.00 in Michigan Sales Tax....all to keep my drivers warm. I probably will not put one in this next truck. You know who and where installed it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's cheap enough to buy a bunch of them and just sit them around the house, just in case. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Gasoline has something like 20-22% less energy than diesel does... and the invoice was $2,468.00 exactly, which includes 6 hours labor @ $89.00 each, B4 Airtronic gas model @ $1,750.00, and a $79.00 heater cover to protect it. $105.00 in Michigan Sales Tax....all to keep my drivers warm. I probably will not put one in this next truck. You know who and where installed it.
Thanks. I wasn't thinking about the tax, or the cover. Need a cover of some kind, depending on where you put it. 5 to 6 hours is about right, so I guess it's not too high. Just seems like it.

I more or less built a box over mine as a cover. It's mounted next to the wall in front of the passenger side wheel well, and is protected from freight by the wooden side wall that protects the wheel wells. I built a box to go over it so that I could use that for storage without damaging the heater.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And then the cost of the battery, isolator and wiring too?

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
We had the rubber matting on the floor and it sucked with sliding the skids to the front to load the other skids and also getting them back out. We also had a air mattress and the air draws the cold no matter how nice and toasty the inside of the van is. We now use colman camping cots for sleeping and hang on the wall when not in use. We have a 2014 promaster make sure if you purchase one of these to get the one ton as it is the only one truly extended. We have the 3/4 ton 2500 series and it has 12 foot of floor space but is nice and wide 56' between the wheel wells. Height at the door is 72". Love the van but not the gas mileage. It gets no where near what the salesman claims. We get 17 no matter how heavy we are loaded. It does have a heavier payload 4200 pounds i do believe.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We had the rubber matting on the floor and it sucked with sliding the skids to the front to load the other skids and also getting them back out. We also had a air mattress and the air draws the cold no matter how nice and toasty the inside of the van is. We now use colman camping cots for sleeping and hang on the wall when not in use. We have a 2014 promaster make sure if you purchase one of these to get the one ton as it is the only one truly extended. We have the 3/4 ton 2500 series and it has 12 foot of floor space but is nice and wide 56' between the wheel wells. Height at the door is 72". Love the van but not the gas mileage. It gets no where near what the salesman claims. We get 17 no matter how heavy we are loaded. It does have a heavier payload 4200 pounds i do believe.

How fast are you normally driving when you get 17 mpg?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You need to put decking on top the rubber mats for sure. Keep us updated on results with you van. Mileage, maintenance costs etc. Would be cool if you could start a new thread about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep us updated on results with you van. Mileage, maintenance costs etc. Would be cool if you could start a new thread about it.

I'm with Xiggi. If you guys would start a new thread detailing some of your experiences with the Promaster it would be most appreciated.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Xiggi. If you guys would start a new thread detailing some of your experiences with the Promaster it would be most appreciated.

I hope to be driving one by May ...if no one has started the Promaster info thread by then I will......:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We've had a Promaster 3500 extended on order for almost 3 months but it's still not built yet. We'll joint the thread too.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've had a Promaster 3500 extended on order for almost 3 months but it's still not built yet. We'll joint the thread too.

The dealer I had stopped and looked at his inventory ...called me Dec. 20 when I was in Tx and he had just got in the 3500 fully extended fully loaded promaster in less than 30 days after ordering it.....white of course

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I would NEVER be a guinny pig for dodge...i will let other people test em ...totally new vehicle...bound to be problems that need to be worked out...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app