Cargo Van Best Insulation for Van Floor

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We used the stock cotton like blanket under the wood floor in our van, but it really didn't do the job. Was wondering if anyone has tried using 1" planks with foam between to give a little lift before putting on the plywood floor with e track? Or has someone done that aluminum insulation that's thin and fully contained on the underside of the van where possible and then sealed it to prevent moisture penetration like they do in the RV industry? We used polyurethane to seal the floor, then polished it with Johnson paste wax. This always kept it clean and used 4' X 4' carpet squares pile side down for each pallet (was able to slide heavy pallets without much strain). Placed carpet pile side up when sleeping back there and that provided some insulation as well as a tarp on top of that then an air mattress. Will probably go with a 3kw generator for a roof ac on new van as well as a small electric heater instead of an espar heater.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
All is possible...the problem I see it takes away from your available height ...a Chevy van is just 48" in the rear...any lower than 48" and your not getting most loads in your van..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Will probably go with a 3kw generator for a roof ac on new van as well as a small electric heater instead of an espar heater.
An Espar heater is generally more cost effective than running a generator with an electric heater. Check the generator's fuel consumption per hour of half-load and full-load, and it'll be somewhere in between those two figures for a heater. An Espar will use about a gallon every 10-15 hours. Something to take a look at, anyway.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I concur for winter solutions; however what do you use in the summer for cooling. I was thinking of a 3kw generator because I have an almost new 13500btu Carrier RV airconditioner.
An Espar heater is generally more cost effective than running a generator with an electric heater. Check the generator's fuel consumption per hour of half-load and full-load, and it'll be somewhere in between those two figures for a heater. An Espar will use about a gallon every 10-15 hours. Something to take a look at, anyway.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thinking of building a Sprinter, Promaster or Transit in about 6 months so height isn't as critical. I have an RV background so hoping to bulid the best sleeper for 5 feet of van length.
All is possible...the problem I see it takes away from your available height ...a Chevy van is just 48" in the rear...any lower than 48" and your not getting most loads in your van..

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Tractor supply sells rolls of heavy rubber mat about 1/2" thick cold would have a hard time passing through this

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I concur for winter solutions; however what do you use in the summer for cooling.
I crack the windows and use a Fan-Tastic Fan vent. It doesn't work all that well.

I was thinking of a 3kw generator because I have an almost new 13500btu Carrier RV airconditioner.
That right there may very well be the ideal solution.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Hope you are under the shade tree with that set up in a Laredo summer.

And good luck finding that. Not saying its impossible as I had 2 favorite trees that no one knew about to get a break from the sun but trees are a scarce commodity in Laredo.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
And good luck finding that. Not saying its impossible as I had 2 favorite trees that no one knew about to get a break from the sun but trees are a scarce commodity in Laredo.

True...in that situation there is something to be said for just going "nekid".;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True...in that situation there is something to be said for just going "nekid".;)

naked-turtle-9624766289.jpeg

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Thinking of building a Sprinter, Promaster or Transit in about 6 months so height isn't as critical. I have an RV background so hoping to bulid the best sleeper for 5 feet of van length.

When your done..post some pictures....always like seeing others set-up

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

Our gasoline Espar seems to use about a gallon per 8 hours versus the optimistic figures that we were sold on. In addition, our gasoline Espar cost almost $2,500 installed versus $300 for a Chinese generator and space heater. The fuel use may be a bit higher but I have to wonder if it will ever really pay off??? :confused:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Our gasoline Espar seems to use about a gallon per 8 hours versus the optimistic figures that we were sold on. In addition, our gasoline Espar cost almost $2,500 installed versus $300 for a Chinese generator and space heater. The fuel use may be a bit higher but I have to wonder if it will ever really pay off??? :confused:

2500 I thought they were $1600 at Espar of Michigan. I like the idea of a presto heat dish and a yamaha 2400 gen or honda 2000i. At least you can still use the generator to power your rooftop ac in the summer ! :) I had no idea they made gas powered espar I thought it was diesel thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I like the idea of a presto heat dish and a yamaha 2400 gen or honda 2000i. At least you can still use the generator to power your rooftop ac in the summer ! :) I had no idea they made gas powered espar I thought it was diesel thing.
A generator is a good idea, regardless. It's still cheaper over the long haul to use an Espar heater than it is a space heater off a generator, because the generator runs at full load an awful lot of the time, which burns through fuel at a rate not much lower than idling the vehicle's engine. A generator can not only be used to power an air conditioner, but it can also be used to recharge the house battery or batteries when you're sitting for extended periods.

The idea and most cost effective solution to keeping warm and cool out here is an Espar, rooftop AC, a house battery bank, and a generator. The battery bank runs everything except the air conditioner, and the generator runs the AC in the summer and recharges the battery bank when sitting in the summer and the winter (and runs a microwave if you have one). The vehicle's alternator charges the battery bank while moving.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A lot of that depends on how well your van is insulated. If it's not insulated very well, it'll run on the higher mode more of the time, resulting in more burned fuel. The airflow inside the van can also make a big difference, as you want the airflow to evenly distribute the heat rather than having hot and cold spots, which will result in having to work harder to heat the same space.

$2500 for an Espar to be installed sounds a little high. Are you sure that costs doesn't include an aux battery, cables and an isolator?

If you do a thorough cost analysis, you'll find, not surprisingly, that an Espar heater will be far more cost effective than idling the vehicle's engine. The Espar will pay for itself the first winter in most cases. It will take longer to recoup the costs when comparing it to a cheap generator and a space heater, but you also need to factor in the regular maintenance of having to change the oil every couple of weeks in a generator, rain, snow or shine, and having to deal with either filling the generator's gas tank in the middle of the night, or lugging around an external tank with more fuel capacity. A $300 generator isn't likely one to last very long, either, so replacement costs should be figured into the analysis. Some have been known to last as long as three years, others didn't even make it though the first winter.

There are pros and cons to whatever method used to heat the truck. But a good cost analysis will help with the decisions.

My first winter out here I idled, and then went with a generator and a space heater. The next winter I had an Espar, and I've had one every winter ever since.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We have 3" of insulation under our 3/4" plywood floor and 2-1/2" in the walls and ceiling. I can email you a copy of the actual invoice... it was JUST for the Espar and it's installation.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We've had less trouble from our $249 Chinese generator and $49 space heater than we've had from our $1,000 Yamaha generator, which seems to need a trip to the repair shop every 4-6 months. The POS Chinese generator is on its third year...

Last edited: