Barn Doors or Roll Up Door???

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering what is the most popular or maybe the most wished for. All the new trucks for sale (almost) offer only barn doors. I tend to want a roll up door.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had both and prefer a rollup. You can keep the drunk f/lift driver off your truck until you unlock and open it up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like roll up best. You open and close it from inside, not out in the weather. You keep it locked until you are ready for anyone to get into the truck. The drawback is you lose a few inches of height.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Both are ok.....but like the others, I like the roll up door.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Deville

Not a Member
And you dont have to worry abou a roll up door opening up while you are diving down the highway

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Contrary to others barn is the only way to go. You will loose way too much height and width with a rollup. Also there will be more maintenance with the tracks and rollers. Barn close tighter for sensitive freight. Also there is the refreshing aspect of opening them up, and waking the driver for the loading task at hand.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I have driven trucks with both kinds of doors. Rollup is our choice for the reasons stated above and several additional reasons too.

Regarding tall freight, with our carrier (FedEx) there ain't that much of it to worry about missing a load here or there. When we had swing doors, I do not recall a single instance where having them got us a tall load that we would have missed with a rollup door-equipped truck.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The only maintenance I ever did with rollups was about once a month to clean the tracks and spray some wd 40 in the tracks and on the rollers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Properly done you will not lose anything in width. The roll up door on my 2nd truck has a wider opening than the barn doors on my other trucks and they aren't poorly designed or built trucks. You do lose some height but in all my time I've had one load that was too tall. I'll gladly trade 1 run every 3 years for the benefits of the roll up door. You just have to be sure it's done correctly.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Well...just what I thought. My favorite is the rollup door because of the fact I don't have to hurry up, drop my gear and get on the dock before some yahoo just figures he's going to start loading without your help. (or before you get the gear down). I too have never lost a load because of the rollup doors. They are more expensive than barn doors to produce. That's the way dealers say they are more poplular that rollups. I'm trying to make a point to dealers that they should just build what I want, the way I want it and that I was right.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Could you prevent the eager forklift drivers from entering your truck before you're ready for them, by putting a load lock across the opening, when the truck is empty? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get off the forklift to remove it, but will wait for you to do it, lol.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That only keeps the majority out. I've had them remove a load bar and be rolling in before the dolly legs are fully down. The only sure way is a locked roll up door.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Barn doors are pretty easily torn off by those tired drivers that back into tight docks next to you. I can tell you that they are very heavy to lift up and put new pins in/hinges on

Just a thought

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I always preferred barn doors for the long run. 2 barn doors have about 10 moving parts. One rollup door has around 50. Run in the northeast a lot, and that fact shows. Mudflap

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have barn doors and our next truck will have barn doors. We also have a problem with them wanting to come unlatched and swing when moving. Bob has devised a tarp strap that he always uses on the doors to keep them open. We have been given loads because our opening was large enough to handle the freight where a truck with a rollup door lost the freight. We have only had a forklift one time get into the box before Bob had the legs down.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Don't let these guys confuse you about loosing freight to a height or width issue. Some seem to feel they have lost only a load or two. Unfortuneately, thats a load or two, THAT THEY KNOW OF. I'm convinced many loads go on tractors that are a little too tall or, wide.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
LOL x06col You are right about height and width. The barn door opening though is smaller then our opening. We have had a couple of instances where we needed every inch we could get. We have a philosophy, have every thing you can so you will have the most opportunities for more freight.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I have never figured out why they make our boxes shorter and narrower than a trailer. As many of us that are out here, you would think someone would make the size we need. There would be nothing hard about it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nothin hard about it. Require what you want, not, what the salesman "thinks" you need or wants to sell you. I see it everyday.
That five hundred bucks they are telling they are saving you, could cost you fifty grand over the life of the truck.