Bad news for Flying J fans

Special K

Expert Expediter
A trucking friend whose wife works for a J-related truck stop in Salt Lake City just called to tell us that Flying J has just (today) sold out to Pilot. I don't have any links for people to verify it, maybe some of you more tech-savvy folks can find one. Marda

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
a quick call to "J" corp. offices and a conversation with a virgina parker, director of market was enough to find out that the "J" fuel centers are not going anywhere and nothing will change for those using their many services.

the are changes that will involve pilot, and a press release will be out today...she invited me to call her back later this evening or tomorrow morning and she would then be free to provide details...but unless she is lying, its not going to affect us...and i have no reason to doubt her....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
am on the search...only this archived article...

Flying J announces it is closing 7 restaurants
June 23rd, 2009 @ 4:39pm
Read it in Spanish

OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- Ogden-based oil company Flying J Inc. is closing seven restaurants because of poor economic conditions.

Flying J is closing restaurants in Payson, Utah; Bessemer, Ala.; Commerce, Ga.; Lubbock, Texas; and three Wyoming locations -- Cokeville, Evanston and Casper.

The Flying J convenience stores at those locations will continue selling hot and cold deli items.

Flying J filed a petition for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware in December. In February, Flying J announced it was laying off 200 workers as part of its reorganization.

Virginia Parker, director of marketing for Flying J, said Monday in a statement that the company regularly reviews the long-term potential of each property and evaluates the performance that's needed for it to continue operating.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I haven't been able to find anything on it, but it wouldn't surprise me. Pilot has bought up so many of the old truckstops.

Hate to see it happen tho, not a lot of 'full service' truckstops left.

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as long as they run them as separate entities like Petro/TA are doing and I don't lose my shower credits...

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Turn all j's into pilots.That would be nice,i like j's,but were not allowed to fuel there.There showers are better than pilot.

Special K

Expert Expediter
This keeps coming up, and I'd like to set the record straight about "Flying J not allowing Comdata". When Flying J created their TCH (Transportation Clearing House) system, it was in direct competition with Comdata (and T check, for that matter), and COMDATA cut Flying J off, being unwilling to contribute to the profit of a competitor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This keeps coming up, and I'd like to set the record straight about "Flying J not allowing Comdata". When Flying J created their TCH (Transportation Clearing House) system, it was in direct competition with Comdata (and T check, for that matter), and COMDATA cut Flying J off, being unwilling to contribute to the profit of a competitor.
Actually, it was Flying J that cut Comdata off. But it's complicated.

From another post on 6/1/09:

The reason Flying J doesn't take Comdata is a result of a long history of legal disputes between the two parties. Basically, Comdata doesn't want to process the Flying J Fleet cards as fleet cards in the same manner that they process their own cards (and others) at non-Flying J locations. And, Flying J wants to charge Comdata more than Comdata wants to pay for installing Comdata networks at Flying J locations. This has been going on in the courts since 1996. The judge keeps ruling, generally, in Flying J's favor, but Comdata keeps interpreting the rulings on how to implement the changes in such a manner that the judge did not intend, so back to court it goes. It's very complicated and has to deal with how transactions are electronically processed on two fronts, the point-of-sale and the fleet card processing.

In 2001 Flying J was awarded $49 million in damages to be paid by Comdata in the antitrust suit. Comdata announced they would comply (Comdata Settles Litigation with Flying J 2001), and then promptly refused to comply.

In 2005 they judge re-awarded Flying J the settlement, and clarified how Comdata was to proceed. Comdata has yet to comply.

Basic explanation can be found in the last paragraph here:
Flying J Inc. -- Company History

Full details of the decision (of which the basics are in the first paragraph) here:
Comdata Settles Litigation with Flying J 2005
The only thing I've heard is that on Sunday there was a conference call between Flying J corporate and all of its store managers, announcing a merger of sorts, best I can figure it deals with ConocoPhillips and the fuel supply side of things more than anything else.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Hmm, the Flying Pilot. Could do without J food, hopefully they will contract the restaurant side to something other than fast food.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
i think the food is ok at the J but the counter service sucks all the time expecially in early morning when only 1- CARNEY is working and the line is back up to the shthole!!!oh mybad thats all the time!!!

wellarmed

Not a Member
Sure I'll give it an OK, but if they were to contract it out to different chains it wouldn't be so predictable. Heck, you can eat at Ryan's or Applebees for about the same cost or less and get better food.:D

Stitches

Seasoned Expediter
If Pilot took over Flying J, then Pilot would have in many instances two locations at a single exit or two locations within a couple exits of each other. There'd be too much cannibalization.