Cargo Van Bad market?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's exactly the problem. No matter where you are someone always has an excuse why they will run cheap to be somewhere else. It creates a death spiral for rates. It always amuses me when someone comes on here and complains about bidding a stupid low rate and then acts shocked that someone underbid them beating them at their own game.
I haven't seen rates spiral since about 2010 they have been pretty stable....besides the the FSC dropping like over 20 cents... .70 to .80 has been the base rate for those in a flat rate contract....now maybe % isn't such a good deal at this time?...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't seen rates spiral since about 2010 they have been pretty stable....besides the the FSC dropping like over 20 cents... .70 to .80 has been the base rate for those in a flat rate contract....now maybe % isn't such a good deal at this time?...
% works out wonderfully your basically on a percentage from what I understand.

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's exactly the problem. No matter where you are someone always has an excuse why they will run cheap to be somewhere else. It creates a death spiral for rates. It always amuses me when someone comes on here and complains about bidding a stupid low rate and then acts shocked that someone underbid them beating them at their own game.
And those are the ones who complain about bottom feeders.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
a quote from the movie....Secretariat.... run your own race.....:)

and with that said....I am off to do just that...you guys can hash this out.....exit stage right------>>>

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
From the middle of nowhere. I meant middle of Texas...

Low... but what other choice you had... Next time tell to your driver to refuse the load going in middle of TX unless they not paying more or relocate him in a better area like Dallas for example...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Low... but what other choice you had... Next time tell to your driver to refuse the load going in middle of TX unless they not paying more or relocate him in a better area like Dallas for example...
He was in Dallas, had to dh 160 mi west of Dallas...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He was in Dallas, had to dh 160 mi west of Dallas...
So he ran that for like 65 cents a mile all miles? Probably not going to lose money doing that, but sheesh he's leaving $300 or more on the table.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Those who can, do. Those who can't, complain about those who can.

It is a free market. Find a way to adapt if you can, or get out and move out of the way. I wouldn't have it any other way. I used to live in a communist country where it did not matter if a factory was profitable or not. Workers got paid no matter what......until the whole system colapsed. What a mess that was.

Btw, i am not condoning running illegal, or under insured. Do it legally and if you can run profitably for less then me, more power to you.

I have no simpathy for someone complaining that someone else does it cheaper. I used to get $1.5+ a mile all the time, and I would love to see those rates again, but unfortunately the market doesn't support it now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Am I reading this correctly? Or is just too early for it to make sense?

It was a joke. I was referring to a heated conversation I once overheard at the TA in Laredo. One driver was going to deadhead out of Laredo for free because he said he would not run for a dollar a mile, because his truck needed to make the full rate for all miles. Then another guy told him that running empty also puts wear and tear on his truck and he should at least take the dollar a mile and pay for his fuel. They almost got into a fist fight. It just makes me shake my head when some drivers are too snooty to drive for 60 cents per mile to get out of a bad area, but they will drive out of a bad area on their own dime. That seems kind of childish. Also, my reference to the 1.10 per mile was a joke. I should have added an "lol" at the end of that post!

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a joke. I was referring to a heated conversation I once overheard at the TA in Laredo. One driver was going to deadhead out of Laredo for free because he said he would not run for a dollar a mile, because his truck needed to make the full rate for all miles. Then another guy told him that running empty also puts wear and tear on his truck and he should at least take the dollar a mile and pay for his fuel. They almost got into a fist fight. It just makes me shake my head when some drivers are too snooty to drive for 60 cents per mile to get out of a bad area, but they will drive out of a bad area on their own dime. That seems kind of childish. Also, my reference to the 1.10 per mile was a joke. I should have added an "lol" at the end of that post!

Thanks for clarifying . I couldn't make sense of that from any angle. You're right, I'd rather get some DH money as opposed to my dime.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It just makes me shake my head when some drivers are too snooty to drive for 60 cents per mile to get out of a bad area, but they will drive out of a bad area on their own dime.
That's me. And it's neither snooty nor childish. For one, if I have to take 60 cents to get out of a bad area I wouldn't have gone there in the first place. Two, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, keep doing that day after day and pretty soon he thinks your fish are his fish. When people accept loads that cheap, the customer starts expecting it, and I won't be a part of that.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not just cargo vans not making much money, I'm in a large straight and when I get a load out of Cleveland, 75% of the time I deadhead back, they can't bid cheap enough (nor should they) to get anything off of sylectus. If I get really lucky someone will see me posted and need a liftgate.