Cargo Van Bad market?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drive home empty because I refuse to run cheap. All miles put wear and tear on my van, but driving home empty does not put any wear and tear on my van. When you run a load for 60 cents per mile, and you then tack on the 50 cent per mile write off at the end of the year, you're actually making 1.10 per mile. Not bad, not bad at all!
Am I reading this correctly? Or is just too early for it to make sense?

Reactions: sbarrett

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drive home empty because I refuse to run cheap. All miles put wear and tear on my van, but driving home empty does not put any wear and tear on my van. When you run a load for 60 cents per mile, and you then tack on the 50 cent per mile write off at the end of the year, you're actually making 1.10 per mile. Not bad, not bad at all!

you've made 2 opposite statements Bliz......LOL

I don't know if I would have used the tax deduction as an example....try and keep it simple for the audience....

.30 cpm includes wear and tear...you run out for .60 you pocket .30 per mile making double your cost per mile

I am amazed sometimes at myself and others that will criticize the local shop by charging 3 times their cost to operate while WE ourselves to that very thing...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
One thing is SURE!! You guys could debate this until we're all dead and you will still NEVER agree.
A-holes and elbows. We all have opinions. LOL!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's kind of like watching the movie Fight Club. It's painful, to a degree, to watch. But you just can't stop watching.
ya know....just about 17 yrs in this biz.....always made money, bought my property, paid my bills on time run a successful business as a sole proprietor. Fico score close to perfect.....and some think I am nuts....this is where I can flip the bird at them eh?.....LMAO all the way to the bank....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now this is nothing compared to 2008, Steady Eddie and I did 2008 together....now that was a tough year! but we both managed to stay alive...

Reactions: Steady Eddie

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some think it's bad now? 08 was the bottom out on auto freight. One customer save our butts that year.
yeah we will go on to fight another day!! You keep flippin them pennies and I'll keep picking them up....between Waddy, Beaverdam and Perrysburg you've made a great contribution to my retirement fund....LOL you old fart!!!....wink, nudge....

BTW..2008 was the year of the first split dog.....:p

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Oh, I remember 2008. But, I was still able to write a $13,000 check that year to pay off the van and become debt free. It took a lot of determination, beans and rice, rice and beans, no hot dogs, too expensive, but it was possible.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Murraycroexp

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah we will go on to fight another day!! You keep flippin them pennies and I'll keep picking them up....between Waddy, Beaverdam and Perrysburg you've made a great contribution to my retirement fund....LOL you old fart!!!....wink, nudge....

BTW..2008 was the year of the first split dog.....:p
I got ya covered over here in Iowa.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not? What's your problem? If a cv has a cpm of .30 he is making a .29 profit .... Not a lot mind you but it is a profit.... And it's his business to run as he pleases
Btw.... I wouldn't make a steady diet of them priced loads tho but I reserve the right to run them when I need to
That's exactly the problem. No matter where you are someone always has an excuse why they will run cheap to be somewhere else. It creates a death spiral for rates. It always amuses me when someone comes on here and complains about bidding a stupid low rate and then acts shocked that someone underbid them beating them at their own game.

Reactions: Mike99