Cargo Van Bad market?

Kim and Cody

New Recruit
Just signed on with a company, I'll leave them nameless for now, frieghts cheap , and hard to cone by, they are telling the the markets weak. Anyone else having trouble right now? (In cargo van)

Reactions: neilblack

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Just signed on with a company, I'll leave them nameless for now, frieghts cheap , and hard to cone by, they are telling the the markets weak. Anyone else having trouble right now? (In cargo van)
Without numbers hard to get an answer. Miles and rate...

Reactions: neilblack

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the other hand-- the outfit I drive for varies quite a bit in any given month. Some weeks are dreadful-- others busy.

This week I had to have my van in the shop almost on an emergency basis. Rain on Friday caused the ignition to get "shakey" so replacement parts was a necessity. Add a new PS pump, and come computer work-- it comes to a price.

Yesterday, dispatch called me to see if I could get the van back on the road so they could take a run for this morning. A quick out-and-back of about 250 miles. I got the van back last night, loaded this morning, got the job done and--- on the way back they scheduled me for a run tomorrow about twice as long.

Sooo--- it's busy now. For me, at any rate.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
hmm bad market? some days I am glad I live in chicagoland. I decided this morning to go out on the road, Positioned myself in good area in chicagoland, called the dispatch in at 10, I was booked by 2:30

too bad it is only 150 miles but I got a nice solid $1.00 per mile.

I'm sure that won't be the case tomorrow in IA.

I spoke with another company that advertises on expeditersonline, they pay their cargo van owners .60-.80 cpm fuel surcharge already included. damn do people really drive cargo vans for .60 cents per mile?

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the price of fuel so low .75 is not out of line ... .75 -.85 I would guess is what most are running at....You are a cv after all... No one gaurantees high wages in this field .... This is a supply and demand profession ... Nothing stays the same... Supply far exceeds demands .... Logistics has gotten just that much better the last 5 years or so weaking the market for CV's

Reactions: AnneM

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Don't forget to divide all your gross by 2, then that is most likely what you really earned.

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter

I dispatch. Today I bid a van load out of Phoenix to El Paso for a small straight that was happy to get fuel money. Bid it at .59 and a van bid lower. Bid another out of Tucson to Roswell NM at .72, broker said he got it covered cheaper. How anyone with a van can stay in business is beyond me. Deadheaded the small straight to El Paso.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I dispatch. Today I bid a van load out of Phoenix to El Paso for a small straight that was happy to get fuel money. Bid it at .59 and a van bid lower. Bid another out of Tucson to Roswell NM at .72, broker said he got it covered cheaper. How anyone with a van can stay in business is beyond me. Deadheaded the small straight to El Paso.
Thing is you don't know under what conditions those loads were eaccepted under!
Did the operator need to go home ? Was this a home load?
Was it used as a paid move?
Was it used as part of a double load?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does any of those make it ok?
Why not? What's your problem? If a cv has a cpm of .30 he is making a .29 profit .... Not a lot mind you but it is a profit.... And it's his business to run as he pleases
Btw.... I wouldn't make a steady diet of them priced loads tho but I reserve the right to run them when I need to

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's an example; you are in Laredo, it's Tuesday ,you must be home by the weekend a load opportunity comes up going to Kansas City ...right close to home problem is shipper only wants to pay $.60 a mile what do you do ?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Here's an example; you are in Laredo, it's Tuesday ,you must be home by the weekend a load opportunity comes up going to Kansas City ...right close to home problem is shipper only wants to pay $.60 a mile what do you do ?
Drive home empty because I refuse to run cheap. All miles put wear and tear on my van, but driving home empty does not put any wear and tear on my van. When you run a load for 60 cents per mile, and you then tack on the 50 cent per mile write off at the end of the year, you're actually making 1.10 per mile. Not bad, not bad at all!