Cargo Van Bad market?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
But .59 is ok?
I still don't run for such cheap freight. I also don't have a problem if someone else does. When their van needs replaced and they don't have the money to do so, it fills a void that, hopefully, I can fill. The secret is " don't go to bad areas for a cheap rate" We have done three loads to California so far this year. Each paid well enough that we could deadhead back to St. Louis if we had to and still make a great profit. I won't accept .60 cents to get out of a bad area just on principle alone. I'm thick headed that way. If you are truly a professional then you should act accordingly. If you want to be K-mart, thats okay too. Its easy to tell who is who by the amount of trash on the dash.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was a man........I once met at J parking lot few months ago.

We striked a conversation about the expediting business. He said his all miles rates averaged out to about.50-.60 and he's doing very well.

I'm thinking, "Hmmm.....Right!"

Later, our conversations got a bit more comfortable and went into the personal territories. He then went inside his van and grabbed a folder. "I'm going to share something with you." He said.

He showed me his latest pay stubs. His average monthly gross came out above 9G. Wow!
He later told me that his driven miles were "outrageous."

We spent another hour chatting.

Before we parted ours way he said, "I'm a lonely man, the van is my home and this is all I've got. That's why I'm good in what I'm doing."

Never saw him again.

Good luck brother and here's to you.......Lol.

The Carpenters - Solitaire [w/ lyrics]:

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes in my career I've met people like that...solitare strangers in the night....this is their life ..the job is all they have left....

Reactions: Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still don't run for such cheap freight. I also don't have a problem if someone else does. When their van needs replaced and they don't have the money to do so, it fills a void that, hopefully, I can fill. The secret is " don't go to bad areas for a cheap rate" We have done three loads to California so far this year. Each paid well enough that we could deadhead back to St. Louis if we had to and still make a great profit. I won't accept .60 cents to get out of a bad area just on principle alone. I'm thick headed that way. If you are truly a professional then you should act accordingly. If you want to be K-mart, thats okay too. Its easy to tell who is who by the amount of trash on the dash.
I used to do cross border...NO trash on the dash here....just don't open the side door!! LOL

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try never to put stuff on the dash. But there are days……..
This is a great job. There is a spot out there for everyone. Each one of us has our needs, wants and desires. Sometimes the $$$ are not the most important aspect of expediting. A few years ago we met a lady that told us. "my husband tried to kill me and if he finds me he will try again" She explained that never knowing where she will spend tomorrow made it impossible for him to track her down. I hope she is well and happy and getting more miles than she wants. To her the $$$ is secondary.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I 've made $1.00 empty or load for 12 years at ceva
I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 1.75 in sprinter van

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
how I've done it is knowing how to work the system, they have extra money for
going on base , going to malls, going to 2nd floor or to basement, inside del, d time
you have to show what time you got there and left
some people wait until the end day to complete paper work and they cheat themselves out of extra money
so you complete each stop as you do and get the extra money

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
how I've done it is knowing how to work the system, they have extra money for
going on base , going to malls, going to 2nd floor or to basement, inside del, d time
you have to show what time you got there and left
some people wait until the end day to complete paper work and they cheat themselves out of extra money
so you complete each stop as you do and get the extra money

That sounds more like a courier job than expediting... btw, I hate paperwork :D

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
other thing you should do is have a couple of side lines to work,
I sold lap tops, pc's mary kay, mason shoes, heated wiper strips , heated window wash tank for wipers ,
new and used trucks, pro heat gen sets ,now I just to do sprinter vans at tysinger in Hampton va
some others I knew wrote books , never told me what kind, couple were song writers and were good at and made money