Bad fuel

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
citgo gas station in minooka ill, off I-80 ,across the interstate from the pilot ,exit 122 .. they have truckers and people in cars complaining that their cars and trucks stalled down the street bad fuel .... now I know why their fuel is cheaper than pilot ... might want to stay away from there for a while .. now we need citgos side of the story also please someone call paul harvey ..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If the vehicles Stalled leaving\going down the street. They must have coasted in out of fuel. It takes awhile for bad fuel to get into the system.:rolleyes:
Of course it could be Hugo Chavez. Venezuela owns Citgo.

armin88

Expert Expediter
citgo gas station in minooka ill, off I-80 ,across the interstate from the pilot ,exit 122 .. they have truckers and people in cars complaining that their cars and trucks stalled down the street bad fuel .... now I know why their fuel is cheaper than pilot ... might want to stay away from there for a while .. now we need citgos side of the story also please someone call paul harvey ..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I guest they added to much water,lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just turn on the CB and ask. In just a few minutes you can confidently conclude that every fuel stop in North America has bad fuel, and no one will buy fuel there again.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
kinda off topic, but still on what grade of gas do ya'll burn in the gas burners?Just wondering. I"ve noticed when i put the mid-grade in i get a little bit better gas mileage.

Iwas talking to the owner of of a gas station today,he said for the differenc in price of mid-grade and the primium he get's about 3 mpg better with the primium. just wondering what ya'll thought.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You realize that lower octane gasoline has more BTU energy (power) per gram than higher octane, right? High octane fuel has Oxygenates added to slow down the flame front which reduces and resists engine knock (the higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns). Lower octane will give you better fuel mileage than higher octane will, all other things being equal, unless you have an engine knock, or a knock that you can't hear because the vehicle's engine management computer has already detected it and therefore is enriching the mixture and retarding the timing to compensate, resulting in fractionally less power and efficiency. Octane is not a measurement of power, it is simply a measure of how effective a gasoline is at resisting engine knock. Using high octane will not give your engine a "treat". Over dosing on octane will only dent your pocket. Use whatever octane the manufacturer recommends.

If you are using the manufacturer recommended octane and still have a knock, moving up to a higher grade will reduce or eliminate the knock, at least temporarily, but all you are doing is treating the symptom, more than likely. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, you may need a tune-up or some other repair. After that work is done, go back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine runs without knocking.

Also, don't think you can get anywhere near an accurate MPG reading off one or two tanks of gas, or worse, this trip or that trip of a few hundred miles or so. There are simply too many variables to make anything less than an average of 5 full tanks a valid indicator of fuel economy.

When you fully understand the hoops engineers jump through to wring every extra 1/100th of a mile-per-gallon out of the vehicles, you become less susceptible to believing in easy solutions to fuel economy, such as simply moving up an octane grade, or fuel saver magnets, or hydrogen generators, or platinum injection, or using that really snazzy 150-MPG carburetor invented by some guy now on the run from the automakers and oil companies. If it were that easy, manufacturers would be recommending higher octane, and everything else, in droves.

Read here: Car Talk | Premium versus Regular

And here: The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline | Federal Trade Commission

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was a time when I would spend an extra 2-3 cents per gallon for good old 87 octane, alcohol free gasoline. The price difference between straight gas and 10% ethanol has become to great to offset the slightly higher mpg, provided you can even find non ethanol blended gasoline.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle. i reaize what your saying but when i started running the mid-grade i noticed a little diffrent power and mpg.The guy I talked to owns the station and that is all he has been running now for about 2 years in his pickup.
I know that some places have crappy gas while others have better and when i was running campers i could tell a diffrence in the diesel,power and mpg. Around here where i
m at the shell stations have the better fuel than others as i have tried just about all of it. We have a suburban, it dosen't get good mpg to start with. Have a good day everyone