Backhauls

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
Being relatively new at Panther (Feb 08) my wife and I have avoided backhauls like the plague....mostly because we have no idea what we're doing when it comes to booking our own work.
Anyway...last month, after a fantastic week (3600 miles) we capped it off with a trip to Victoria Island, BC which added some 2500 miles onto our total. What we didn't know was how badly this would place us in terms of getting a load back. In fairness, Panther sent us load after load of possibilities for a backhaul.....which we just ignored or for lack of a better reason, turned down. After 6 days, with no run, we finally accepted a backhaul that would pay us (after Panther's cut) 935 dollars to go to Indianapolis. Bad, granted.
So, I accept the load, make my own arrangements and we're off. First of all, at the shipper, we're held up some extra 2 hours because of a quarantine issue regarding China. Then, the original 10 skids, 5,000 lbs became 15 skids, 7500 lbs. Not wanting to rock the boat (or not knowing any better) we said, fine, let's just go . Then, we we arrived at the consignee, we found out that we would have to hand unload 465 pieces. We did it and realized that there was noboby to blame but us for not asking the correct questions in the first place. So, here's my question....we have avoided multiple load backhauls due to my fear of not being able to book all the loads I'd need to make any money and being stuck with just one load that wouldn't come close to paying just for my fuel.....why don't we recieve any training regarding backhauls during orientation? I remember the speakers discussing backhauls, but merely to the effect that they exist and are a potential way to avoid sitting in a bad area....I did speak with the backhaul people after this load and I was basically told that I need to ask the proper questions prior to taking the load to protect myself. Fair enough....but man, that was one tough lesson. In fairness, Panther obviously works very hard to provide potential backhauls....but, booking loads in ignorance serves no one well. I'd be interested to find out how some of you experienced drivers deal with backhauls. I am most appreciative of any advice you may provide.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The operator is the CSR and the dispatcher when it comes to backhauls. It is up to you to obtain all the information you will need to 1. know whether you want to do the load and 2. how to successfully complete it if you do take it. You negotiate everything yourself. Once that's done you call Panther and notify them of the shipper and terms. They will call and confirm. You'll be sent the load via qc and deal with it like any other load at that point. Panther will call with or send via qc backhaul 'suspects' for you to call. You can also use their login for getloaded.com to look on your own as well. You can take as much as your truck will legally carry. Sometimes you can get at least 2 of them going to the same general area and combined they'll pay a reasonable amount for getting back to the lanes. Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You were advised correctly in that you do need to ask many questions.
The initial ones would be the weight and dimensions. One has to make sure that it fits your truck.
Know exactly what the load is.
Why? Because you need to know that the load is covered by insurance. (what is the value of the load)
If it is any type of food or perishable item you must know whether a lumper fee would be involved. If so, I have it noted that the broker pays all extra costs. Same with anything that is a hand unload or blanket wrap. We also confirm delivery on both ends before the load ever gets on the truck. The eliminates any type of surprises.
Fear of the unknown is what keeps most from going down this path. We broker a fair amount of loads and like anything, it gets better and easier as time goes along and you develop relationships with different brokers and 3PL's. Some of the best loads are never on a broker board.
Feel free to PM me if you have a question

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
thanks guys....for your very informative replies....my immediate question, and one that I neglected to ask in my original posting is ......when you book 2 or more backhaul loads, in order to maximize your profits, what happens if , after booking one, the other two have been taken or turn out to be something you can't do....now you're stuck with one of your potential 3 loads and losing considerable money because you've agreed to take this first load (based on all 3 coming thru).....this is my greatest fear regarding backhauls.....thanks again for your advice, I read both of your postings and have learned more from you guys than you can imagine.

Mike and Deb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
you call a and come to terms that allow you to do it then tell them you must get approval from panther and will call them back asap. you call b and do the same. you call c and do the same if there's a 3rd. you do not call panther after each call. that is just your reason for not committing to the load at that moment. when you have agreeable arrangements with them all then you call back to make sure they haven't placed the load elsewhere. tell a it looks good and you'll have the final answer in 5 minutes, please hold the load. tell b it looks good and you'll have the final answer in 3 minutes, please hold the load. tell c you'll take it then call a back and say yes and then b. after that you call panther with all the details. that's the most foolproof way I can think of to secure them and not be stuck with just one.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
thanks guys....for your very informative replies....my immediate question, and one that I neglected to ask in my original posting is ......when you book 2 or more backhaul loads, in order to maximize your profits, what happens if , after booking one, the other two have been taken or turn out to be something you can't do....now you're stuck with one of your potential 3 loads and losing considerable money because you've agreed to take this first load (based on all 3 coming thru).....this is my greatest fear regarding backhauls.....thanks again for your advice, I read both of your postings and have learned more from you guys than you can imagine.

Mike and Deb

Everyone likely has their own way of doing things, but this is generally what I do. If we are to do two shipments, I book them from the same broker or right from the same area. Laredo would come to mind. If one cancels or someone else gets it, you are likely five miles or less from the replacement load.
I usually book the first at the needed rate so the second is basically a gravy run.
The other way is to go on one of the boards and do a seach by lane.
This would be a option if for example you are in Denver (not the land of 1000 loads) and book something to say Columbus, Oh I would try to book one from there, and when I lane it out, I may find another load along the way like in KC. What I am doing is looking for opportunites along I 70 that are going east.
Keep in mind we don't really do this too often. In the majority of cases I can get our required rate on one load.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Transportation act of 1980 says if the driver is to be required to unload or pay someone to unload he "must" be notified before the driver accepts the load. If they leave the info out no way in the world would i unload the freight period i would take it to a warehouse and store it first. I had this happen years ago when i was leased to crst ooida made the calls found me warehouse space i paid to have it unloaded and when i recived my money to include what i paid to unload it i released the freight to another carrier to make the delivery. You have to stand up for your rights no one else will do it for you. Even if you fail to ask by law they must tell you in advance if you have to unload or pay someone to unload you.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Has the login for Getloaded changed? I tried logging in and it didn't work.

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Has the login for Getloaded changed? I tried logging in using the pantherdriver / getload combination and it didn't work.

As of Jan 1 2009 only 1 person can be logged in at a time so it won't matter what ther login is you will need to get your own account for get loaded.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info Scuba. That's interesting. Did a message come out about this change?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
panther only told you if you happened to ask the right question while talking to back haul ,but that message has been shown on the log in screen fro getloaded fo some time now

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Having the login for getloaded was a courtesy that panther provided. I am not quite sure why you would expect them to notify you when when it was Get loaded's change not Panther's, and as was stated above has beenposted on the website that it would be effective Jan 1st.

The same thing with training on backhaul's......why on earth would someone expect Panther to provide training on backhaul's? Just the fact that they allow their contractors to run someone else's freight under their authority at a reasonable cost is more than most companies do. You are a business person.....you need to train and educate yourself on your business.

-charlotte

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Having the login for getloaded was a courtesy that panther provided. I am not quite sure why you would expect them to notify you when when it was Get loaded's change not Panther's, and as was stated above has beenposted on the website that it would be effective Jan 1st.

For only one reason Charlee....because they DID provide the login at one time. Whatever the reason for the change isn't my concern, but Panther did in fact encourage contractors to use this "tool". That being said, a simple message would have been nice.
As far as what was on the website, I haven't been to the website for months. When I tried to login on Dec 31 the above message was not there.

The same thing with training on backhaul's......why on earth would someone expect Panther to provide training on backhaul's? Just the fact that they allow their contractors to run someone else's freight under their authority at a reasonable cost is more than most companies do. You are a business person.....you need to train and educate yourself on your business. -charlotte

I've never asked Panther for training on backhauls. I only asked what happened to the login.
As far as educating myself on my business, I do that everyday by asking questions.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well first thing Jeff sends out the fleet messages and since he doesn't have anything to do with back hauls i don't think he knew about it until i called him to talk about it. Wally Steve and Gail in back haul can not send out fleet messages and they are the ones that handle back hauls. I got my own account it is $45.00 a month for the service i would suggest you get it.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
we have avoided multiple load backhauls due to my fear of not being able to book all the loads I'd need to make any money and being stuck with just one load that wouldn't come close to paying just for my fuel.....why don't we recieve any training regarding backhauls during orientation? I remember the speakers discussing backhauls, but merely to the effect that they exist and are a potential way to avoid sitting in a bad area....

I was responding to your question in the above post. We have run many profitable backhauls in the last 4 years with Panther. Pantehr never "taught" us how to go about backhauls....and we never expected them to. I think we all learn by doing and seeing what works for us. Currently we spend about 100$ a month on outside load finding opportunities, as well as realtionships with brokers that we have built.

-charlee

Last edited:

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
To answer the original posters question...has the login info been changed..simple answer is YES...someone went in and changed the password about a month ago and blocked everyone from using it for about 4 hours till the powers that be at Panther (Wally to be exact) made contact with getloaded and rechanged it again to another password...the username is still the same and the password has been changed.

Another change that was made was by Getloaded themself...Ken was correct only one person can be logged in at the same time, and although it is nearly impossible to get logged in now...it can be done, you just have to be really fast and know where the info you are looking for is located. Personally Get loaded is not my favorite but occasionally I pull something from there, my personal choices are...www.Internettruckstop.com and www.truckersedge.net of course they are pay sites, but listed below are some free ones for ya to look at..
J.B. Hunt Transport Inc. - Load Posting

PRIME.LoadMover.com

www.landstarbroker.com

good luck in the future with this info

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You'd think that the people in charge of the backhaul mess, specifically the one who rechanged the password, would think to update that kind of information on the Driver Web. But noooooooo.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Turtle, that would have been a response I would have expected from someone who would whine that Panther didnt spend $40,000 and give every contractor a EM home for christmas. Why would they go through the effort to do something for just a slim few of the contractors that use the backhaul dept...If it were being used frequently enuff then the halfway intellegent person would have picked up the phone and called and asked if there was a problem instead of coming to an online forum and posting complaints and questions...that would have gotten them the correct answer instead of a bunch of incorrect opinions, but then again that would be the common sense thing to do, even though common sense is not so common anymore.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
For what ever reason there seems to be a few (3) of you that completely misunderstand the intent of some of these posts. I did not see any whining, bit_hing or anything of the kind. What I saw was that people were asking about an Empty Move home for the Holidays, and the inability to log onto "getloaded". A quick message from the management to the Fleet that these two programs were being changed/deleted/suspended would be something that an Owner Operator should be able to expect.
These two programs were a nice thing to have, but if the current economic conditions don't allow for it until the economy turns around, fine. Just communicate with the people that it affects.

I wonder if the three of you are expecting a rate increase or extra load for being a knucklehead in some of your posts.

If you are wondering if I'm referring to one or more of your posts, then I probably was. If still in doubt I will be happy to answer in a PM

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And that's the response from someone who failed to use common sense and instead made an uninformed assumption. Fact is, I have called, several times, beginning back in early December when i noticed for the first time that the password no longer worked. In all, seven phone calls have been made regarding this issue, three of them specifically about the Web site having incorrect information. How many contractors utilize the backhaul department and getloaded is quite irrelevant with regard to the effort that is expended in promoting something that contains outdated information. They promote the use of the Resources to be found on the Driver Web, yet cannot find the 30 seconds to expend the effort to change a single word on a Web page. If so few people use it and it is not worth the effort, then they should take the exhaustive, time consuming and complicated steps to stop promoting it and remove it from the web site, or they could expend far less time and effort and just change the password on the page. If they're going to put information up on the Web site and then promote it, the competent thing to do would be to ensure that the information they are promoting is up-to-date and accurate. It's not like this has just slipped their mind and they are completely unaware of it. At this point they are more than aware of it, yet as of this writing the information on the Web site is still wrong. But what do I know, I'm not even halfway intelligent. After all, I'm just a van drivin' moron.