Back off the road

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Today I thought I was going to the VA for a routine check up. I have been having head aches and I thought it might be my blood pressure. Long story short my blood pressure was fine and when they did an MRI on my brain they found that I have fluid built up on my brain. There really isn't anything they can do about it. I have to go back in a month for more test.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hey Ark - I was sorry when I read this.

We are pulling for you. Positive thoughts and prayers.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would`t trust the VA to be the final word on your problem. A friend recently sought a second opinion. This Dr. recommended more test.

Its scary to think that the Govt wants to run the entire medical system, when the VA is such a mess.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
the only reason i have any faith in my doc at the VA is because he also works and teaches at the University of Arkansas medical school hospital. Yesterday when I was in the waiting room one vet got mad and said whoever wants the govt. to take over healthcare must have never been there. He said it really loud and everyone laughed except for the VA employees.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Today I thought I was going to the VA for a routine check up. I have been having head aches and I thought it might be my blood pressure. Long story short my blood pressure was fine and when they did an MRI on my brain they found that I have fluid built up on my brain. There really isn't anything they can do about it. I have to go back in a month for more test.

They said you have "fluid built up on your brain"??
Did they refer to this as hydrocephalus?

I don't want to butt in to someone elses medical situation but I just have to say that if a Doctor (any Doctor) told a loved one of mine that they had this and they could do nothing and that we would have to wait a month???
That would be unacceptable and I would not sit back and wait a month.
What they can do is make every effort to diagnose the cause of the fluid whether it be csf overproduction, blocked ventricle, head trauma, tumor etc.
Not trying to scare you here. I was taught that the proper course of diagnosis is to assume the worst and rule that out before taking a wait and see approach.

Good luck with this and I hope that with whatever course you follow it works out for the best.

Just my 2 cents.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Humble. thanks for your reply....Ark, faith is a great thing, but a 2nd opinion i would think would be inline, just from the standpoint of what humble said....why is that fluid there and what is the cause???

May God keep you in his shadow....

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When my Pulmonologist told me that I had Emphysema, I told him I wanted a second opinion. He said okay, "You're ugly too."

Seriously Ark, that's an unacceptable answer for a diagnosis for fluid on/around the brain. I believe I would try to go above his pay-grade t get in sooner. Maybe play up the headache angle a little more?

Mike

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
You should definitely get a second opinion. There is something wrong going on and the brain is not something to take a "wait and see" attitude with. There are procedures that can be done to deal with fluid on the brain that work very well (a shunt can be put in place for example). That fluid can kill brain cells and cause irreversible damage.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope things work out well for you.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
My Prayers are with Ya Ark. But please do as the Others Suggest and Get a 2nd Opinion and even a 3rd. What you have is Nothing to Play with so Please do it Quickly! :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ark,
I understand the trust you have in your doc, but don't hesitate to ask him about getting a second opinion. Don't think that he will be offended or it is an indication of any dis-trust you have in him or have any guilt over it, because if he is really good he will direct you to another doctor to make sure he isn't missing something.

My wife and I are praying for you.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here, get a 2nd opinion!! Your brain is probably worth it! (Not the right time for some levity? O.K., sorry.) We're all pulling for you, just do it!

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey arkjarhead,
OMG really sorry to hear your news. Along with everyone else, and being a member of a family that pledge themselves to medical servitude, I urge you to get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Why 3? To balance out the other 2 but dont over due opinions. But the reason why you get more opinions??? Is because medicne is a 'Practice" and they PRACTICE on US. Most medicine is NOT an EXACT science, it's hit and miss, why else does any Doctor worth his/her salt have malpractice insurance in the multi-millions?
Lecture over.. due what's best for you, and only you know. Stay in peace& health.

Last edited: