Baby On Board!?

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
As for selfish dreams, anybody (or more specifically any male) who has ever lived in the SE Asia regions for any length of time may very well dispute that. Granted, the same apathy that makes it so wonderful and relaxing to live here also makes it difficult to do business here ... at least to the extent I would like and to take good care of my family. I say male because here, even at nearly fifty, I am considered "exotic" and nearly every gal from 15 to 50 flirts with me. My wife will not go shopping with me because she knows all the girls wear mini skirts and I will get flashed tens of times on any trip to the store. While I am a practicing (never reaching perfection) Christian and do not partake of their wares or their company, I must admit that it is inherently more pleasant than the average shopping trip with the people of walmart. Add to that the tropical environment, the cheap, cold beer, relatively good food and all things being equal, it is not a bad place to live at all, just a very difficult place to build a future for a family.

Now I'm just lost. Wow. How did we go from a baby in a truck to this?

The overwhelming response and my opinion regarding the original question is still a big NO! No matter how many chicks check you out... Still NO on the baby in the truck.

A

Anomaly

The overwhelming response and my opinion regarding the original question is still a big NO! No matter how many chicks check you out... Still NO on the baby in the truck.

Because of this ...

Nevertheless, I view it as a plain sefishness move, nothing less than that and it is not a reflection on the OP but in general. People do stupid things, like the guy who had his daughter lay on the matress that they put on his van to hold it down - not only did she fly off the matress but she got run over by a truck. Sure the parents greived, others thought it was insensitive that the state wanted to charge him - me? I would have put his a** in jail for murder.

As well as the fact that I mentioned in the first place, I was against the idea but my wife wanted more opinions than just mine.

As for the shopping, it is just one of the many reasons if it were up to me personally and if it were feasible to do so, I would stay. Smokes cost me about three bucks a carton, a six pack of good beer is under two bucks, the women are beautiful and flirtatious which I admit to enjoying even if only from a distance, the weather is nicer than that of Florida. The bottom line is this is anything but a selfish decision or a desperate grasping at straws.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Okay, my wife and I will be having our first baby in April and ... truth be told, we have had a pretty rough go of it here. That being said, I am looking at getting started within the next year. She however, seems pretty intent on getting involved as early as possible to begin both building our future and improving our current circumstances. Before having read much here, I would have thought the idea pure madness ... and still do to a degree, but having seen that others have openly discussed their decisions to bring children along for the ride, for a variety of reasons, I feel it is worth asking. What is your opinion about OTR driving with a very young infant?

Just curious as to the opinions of both experienced and new drivers.

Thanks,
Mark and Ruth

It sounds as if you haven't expedited before?

It gets danged cold in the vehicles during those winter nights, even with auxiliary heat. Colder than most houses.

You need your own supplies which must be bare minimum because you need room for freight. A baby's "bare minimum" is more than twice an adult's. Where are you going to find room for all the diapers alone?

How would you keep the baby clean? In a Pilot shower room sink?

Expediting takes us from one climate zone/altitude in just a matter of hours. That is setting the little one up for inner ear problems, colds, etc.

Change of drinking water from one place to another is hard on an infant's delicate digestive tract.

Not to mention the variety of bacteria exposure in truckstops, Walmarts, loading docks, etc.

Exhaust fumes in truckstops. Tire dust. Pay attention next truckstop you are in. Walk into the semi parking area. Scrape your foot along the dry pavement and make note of the black dust that comes up.

Sleep is a premium for an expediter. You add a colic stricken infant with an ear infection and you are putting all 3 of you in serious danger behind the wheel...not to mention other drivers.

If this was my predicament with my fella, the only clear choice for our overall safety and that of our child (whom we would probably name 'Willoughby') is: he would go on the road. I would have to find employment in our home area.

There is no way I would ever consider subjecting an infant to the expediter lifestyle. It can be rough enough on an adult.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

BigCat

Expert Expediter
What happens if the baby needs medical attention and you are under load? I'll bet many companies won't even consider you for employment when you tell them the idea.

I'm sure shaken baby syndrome would be an issue as well. I know have headaches from all the bouncing down the road.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.747128,-91.887354

A

Anomaly

Yeah, said it was crazy from the beginning, told my wife it would not work and asking here has pretty much confirmed that. As for having run Expedite Freight before, no.

SW Rodgers (Northern Virginia)
1 Year Fuel Truck driver
B-Model Mack (With the two sticks)
Too many hazmat certs to even try to remember

Aero Mayflower Transit
Agent 440 out of Pikesville (I think that was the name of the town ... just North of Philly)
3 years
Straight Truck (Mercedes with a bass-ackwards gear shift)
Tractor Trailer Peterbilt - 45 foot trailer

Assorted jobs running 25 and 50 ton DJB amd Euclid trucks ... though in reality, that is a much different ballgame.

Working for LSG Sky Chefs - My only run-in with straight trucks with automatic transmissions and I did not log a lot of miles but did log some.

A

Anomaly

Actually that is not true ... it could not have been a 45 foot trailer for Mayflower because they were illegal in Pennsy and Jersey ... maybe a forty footer? That is going back more than twenty years and I do tend to forget some things. Not to mention, I really hated driving tractor trailers.

Have run the occasional doubles and triples but generally only on mining roads and loading docks, some moving hay locally in Northern Nevada though nothing professional and nothing long haul so they generally do not count in my humble opinion. That is probably where I remember forty five foot trailers.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
What happens if the baby needs medical attention and you are under load? I'll bet many companies won't even consider you for employment when you tell them the idea.

I'm sure shaken baby syndrome would be an issue as well. I know have headaches from all the bouncing down the road.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.747128,-91.887354

...and neck aches and back aches and stiff knees....

Not to mention the scenario of dropping a load at midnight after driving 14 hours straight only to have the phone ring with another pick-up at 3 am, pick-up ASAP, delivery point another 9 hours away. While we are battling head colds ourselves. That situation isn't as far-fetched as it sounds.

I hope the OP notion of this being a bad idea is sinking in.

I would hate to have to be away from my child as well and would wonder if there was a viable solution to balancing expediting and time with the baby.

There probably isn't.

A

Anomaly

Gosh golly gee, if you read the original post, it looks like I said I thought the idea was crazy ...

Before having read much here, I would have thought the idea pure madness ... and still do to a degree, but having seen that others have openly discussed their decisions to bring children along for the ride, for a variety of reasons, I feel it is worth asking.

Does anybody else think I said it was a crazy idea because just maybe, I believed it to be a crazy idea? Is that really so difficult to believe?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
How can you get your ten hour break in properly when you are being woken up every three hours for feedings?

I am sure that it is not going to be overly easy changing a diaper while the other person is driving.

Babies start crawling after a few months. I don't care how clean your truck is, a kid shouldn't be learning to.crawl in one. What happens if they crawl up by your legs while driving?
. Since there really isn't a lot of floor space are you willing to delay the proper development of your child?

Then there is the issue of feeding and burping your kid. If its say 2 months old, you feed it a bottle and take it out to burp it. It is not longer securely strapped in.

This is where "The Enemy" called the police previously, seeing a female in the passengers.seat holding a baby. So if this makes us such horrible judging people so be it.

What about border checks? They ask if you have anyone else.traveling with you. I am sure a baby would get you stopped more.often than not.

Scale houses, say you are getting an inspection, DOT officer here's a fussing baby, I am sure it would warrant a closer look.

Getting in and.out of the truck in bad weather isn't always the easiest, add a kid to the mix.

What about military bases that you must have certain clearances in? Is your baby going to be DOD certified too? Or what about the places, which we have been to, that only allow one person to go back and the other has to stay in this freezing cold shack or sweltering shack?

From someone who has been trying to have children and can't there is NO way in heck I would subject my child to the conditions out here on the road.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What some are really trying to say (but haven't.... yet) is that they think you are probably a banned member who is trying to get a rise out of the membership here. If so it has worked on a few and not worked for the majority.

I personally don't think it is a good idea running with a child on board. There are many jobs (that pay less) but would provide you and yours a decent living if you both are willing to work long and hard.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
By the way, there is a member of this board that is somewhere in your neck of the world, send him an e-mail, get together for some sort of drink.

A

Anomaly

What some are really trying to say (but haven't.... yet) is that they think you are probably a banned member who is trying to get a rise out of the membership here. If so it has worked on a few and not worked for the majority.

I personally don't think it is a good idea running with a child on board. There are many jobs (that pay less) but would provide you and yours a decent living if you both are willing to work long and hard.

Thank you for clearing that up. I have seen similar things in the past but no, that is not the case here. I have not mentioned my friend's name because I have not discussed much with them about this all yet. You can see some of my writing online at inewsunlimited.com and find out about my non-profit at webbvocationalinstitute.org and what I am attempting to do with my net cafe in order to generate a positive cash flow yet again at theextremeattitude.com ... and on the Non-Profit site you can actually see my legal name if that helps. Mark is a nick name because my given name on all my id often comes out sounding like "wart" in Asian countries and where I lived in Mexico.

You can also find me on facebook under this name if you care to look.

Thanks JaminJim

Last edited by a moderator:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for clearing that up. I have seen similar things in the past but no, that is not the case here. I have not mentioned my friend's name because I have not discussed much with them about this all yet. You can see some of my writing online at inewsunlimited.com and find out about my non-profit at webbvocationalinstitute.org and what I am attempting to do with my net cafe in order to generate a positive cash flow yet again at theextremeattitude.com ... and on the Non-Profit site you can actually see my legal name if that helps. Mark is a nick name because my given name on all my id often comes out sounding like "wart" in Asian countries and where I lived in Mexico.

You can also find me on facebook under this name if you care to look.

Thanks JaminJim
???? Anyway that members screen name is [h=5]dhalltoyo.[/h]

A

Anomaly

By the way, there is a member of this board that is somewhere in your neck of the world, send him an e-mail, get together for some sort of drink.

I am in Naga City in the Bicol Region ... there is a Naga City in Cebu also ... but another member here? That may very well be the answer I need! I am also thinking about taking a family member or two with me, the only real issue there is my wife has the best English of all of them and she also is the one who really wants to get out and drive. We will see what we will see but to be honest, I really do like the idea of going out over the road with her if we can find some way to make it happen.

5 PNR Road
Barangay Tabuco, Naga City
4400 Philippines

just in case the other member from the Philippines is lurking around here somewhere. Maybe he or she would be willing to vouch for me and my wife as well.

A

Anomaly

Thanks again. I sent a message to dhalltoyo but Palawan is a long ways from SE Luzon.

Still, nice to know there may be others here.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sounds as if you haven't expedited before?

It gets danged cold in the vehicles during those winter nights, even with auxiliary heat. Colder than most houses.

You need your own supplies which must be bare minimum because you need room for freight. A baby's "bare minimum" is more than twice an adult's. Where are you going to find room for all the diapers alone?

How would you keep the baby clean? In a Pilot shower room sink?

Expediting takes us from one climate zone/altitude in just a matter of hours. That is setting the little one up for inner ear problems, colds, etc.

Change of drinking water from one place to another is hard on an infant's delicate digestive tract.

Not to mention the variety of bacteria exposure in truckstops, Walmarts, loading docks, etc.

Exhaust fumes in truckstops. Tire dust. Pay attention next truckstop you are in. Walk into the semi parking area. Scrape your foot along the dry pavement and make note of the black dust that comes up.

Sleep is a premium for an expediter. You add a colic stricken infant with an ear infection and you are putting all 3 of you in serious danger behind the wheel...not to mention other drivers.

If this was my predicament with my fella, the only clear choice for our overall safety and that of our child (whom we would probably name 'Willoughby') is: he would go on the road. I would have to find employment in our home area.

There is no way I would ever consider subjecting an infant to the expediter lifestyle. It can be rough enough on an adult.

like.jpg

Excellent Lisa! This is really the only reply the OP needs to read. I would like to point out that it appears Anomaly and his wife will be newbies to parenting, newbies to expediting, she will be new to driving a truck and new to this country. Not a very healthy or safe situation.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Thank you, Moot. I know all I know about having kids by not having any myself, lol...but rather observation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, those hazmat certs tend to multiply faster than neutrons in a breeder reactor on steroids.

I'm getting another hazmat cert this morning. Actually, I may get several. I'm in Nashville near Rivergate Mall, and they have them on sale at the knot store there.