Arthritis

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive got pretty bad arthritis from years of pushing band gear into and out of Stadiums and Concert halls worldwide, Imagine walking from one end to the other of these places carrying hundred pound spools of cable or pulling chains up into the rafters as riggers do, I did that for years, and today I have just visited my Orthopedist and had an MRI done, my knee joints are going to be problematic as I grow older, right now after driving all day or night Its a dull throbbing ache.

Doctor has told me to use ALEVE every 2 hours, and Acetiminophen every two hours, Using both in this fashion it attacks different pain centers and really gives great relief, it might take a day or so to really kick in...I drink Milk when I eat the pills, this last trip through NYC, DC, Down thru Chicago and home had me aching like I have never....my hip was sore, my knee hurt....so I went to the Doc for advice and therapy, Ice, and the combination of these two things has worked for me, and when I can a good long soak in a tub doesnt hurt either.

That and a new WIDE RIDE custom seat !!! One other thing Ive started doing each day is stretching really good, I do several simple excersizes and stretch all the leg, arm and back muscles out this has also helped relieve the pains of age...GOOD LUCK

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ive got pretty bad arthritis from years of pushing band gear into and out of Stadiums and Concert halls worldwide, Imagine walking from one end to the other of these places carrying hundred pound spools of cable or pulling chains up into the rafters as riggers do, I did that for years, and today I have just visited my Orthopedist and had an MRI done, my knee joints are going to be problematic as I grow older, right now after driving all day or night Its a dull throbbing ache.

Doctor has told me to use ALEVE every 2 hours, and Acetiminophen every two hours, Using both in this fashion it attacks different pain centers and really gives great relief, it might take a day or so to really kick in...I drink Milk when I eat the pills, this last trip through NYC, DC, Down thru Chicago and home had me aching like I have never....my hip was sore, my knee hurt....so I went to the Doc for advice and therapy, Ice, and the combination of these two things has worked for me, and when I can a good long soak in a tub doesnt hurt either.

That and a new WIDE RIDE custom seat !!! One other thing Ive started doing each day is stretching really good, I do several simple excersizes and stretch all the leg, arm and back muscles out this has also helped relieve the pains of age...GOOD LUCK

Aleve is working well, I've been stretching and massaging my hands and trying to keep from overusing them the past few days, thx for sharing :)

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app
Emg?

A medical test that helps determine whether or not the nerves are transmitting electricity properly.

It can be used to help determine if carpal tunnel is the problem or other possible things. Link below. It was "sorta" painful but not as bad as dropping a bowling ball on your foot.

There were able to determine that the problem I was having was due to a mildly compressed nerve in my elbows. I have been able to reduce the problem by not using my arm rests as much when driving.

Electromyography (EMG) - MayoClinic.com

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
A medical test that helps determine whether or not the nerves are transmitting electricity properly.

It can be used to help determine if carpal tunnel is the problem or other possible things. Link below. It was "sorta" painful but not as bad as dropping a bowling ball on your foot.

There were able to determine that the problem I was having was due to a mildly compressed nerve in my elbows. I have been able to reduce the problem by not using my arm rests as much when driving.

I had a couple EMG's that were inconclusive ..... after many visits and tests, the last doc I saw simple put a blood pressure wrap on my arm (affected hand side) pumped it up and asked me why I was moving my fingers.
I explained that my hand was going to sleep and before I knew it I was booked for the carpel tunnel surgery.
Have had no problems since :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a couple EMG's that were inconclusive ..... after many visits and tests, the last doc I saw simple put a blood pressure wrap on my arm (affected hand side) pumped it up and asked me why I was moving my fingers.
I explained that my hand was going to sleep and before I knew it I was booked for the carpel tunnel surgery.
Have had no problems since :)

Tests are just tests. Sometimes they show things, other times not. That is why DR's "Practice" medicine, they ain't got it down right yet! :p

Monty

Expert Expediter
Spongebox: Humble made a very good point: surgery is not likely to help, as it may seem to fix the problem in the short term, but the scar tissue that it creates [inside] will make it much worse when it recurs - and it usually does.
I have trigger finger on both hands, just the middle fingers. I wouldn't let the docs fix it even if they could

I had a trigger thumb repaired, they did it under local anesthesia, and I have had no problems since.

As for knees and hips, at some point, you will tell the Dr when, (due to pain), as I did. My left knee was replaced and other than range of motion, I have no issues. Walking on a flat floor, like the Expo center for a long period of time causes it, (the knee) to get stiff. I need to sit for awhile and things are all better. I'm sure there is an exercise I could do to improve that, I keep looking for the "exercise pill", but they don't seem to stock them at the drug store, or they sell out before I get there! ;)

I know this article is targeted at children, but it has the best illustration I could find.

http://pediatric-orthopedics.org/orthopedic-conditions-from-birth-to-walking/30-trigger-thumb.html

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

There is a treatment for elbows & knees that you might ask your doc about: iontophoresis.
I had a case of tendinitis once that just kept getting worse. The first cortisone shot worked for months, the second for weeks, and the doc would do no more as the elbow was deteriorating. I was in enough pain to agree to surgery, when my head nurse sent me to a younger ortho doc, who suggested we try the iontophoresis. It's done in outpatient physical therapy, with medication placed on pads to the joint, attached to a small controller that uses electricity to infuse the medication below the skin. You control the rate by turning the dial, and the faster you infuse, the more it feels like burning, which I learned when I was in a hurry and cranked it all the way up, lol. At a moderate rate, it's just a very mild sensation.
I wasn't even a little bit optimistic that it would work, but after 3 treatments [about 15 min each] it was definitely better, and after 5, the pain was gone completely. More than 10 years later, it has never come back.
The doc said it works best on knees & elbows, and I think it's worth inquiring whether it might help your joints.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
"Check this link:Flexibility Stretches - Wrist Extension
And modify this stretch to do while driving."

I spent the good part of a day last week hand sanding and squeezing a high speed polisher trigger and experienced the fingers locking up and muscle pain in my forearms. I just did the Flex Stretch - Wrist Extension and if feels oh so good. Thanx Humble!