APU question

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Other than an Onan with a roof mount AC/Heat strip is there any APU that will provide AC/heat by plugging into shore power when available or by running the APU engine when not?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not that I know but why not keep the APU and just get the a/c unit on top?

You don't need the Coleman generator.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not that I know but why not keep the APU and just get the a/c unit on top?

You don't need the Coleman generator.

Biggest concern it the height of the roof top. Also, my ProHeat boat anchor only puts out 4000 watts, which MAY be enough. It is, however, going to need all new seals and the cabinet is rusting out. OTHER than that, I believe it would work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well A bit of advice to you, get someone who knows how to convert your present system into one with a electric driven compressor and they can deal with the engine and other issues you have with the system.

4000 watts is enough to drive the thing and there isn't much to the controls of the APU that you need to worry about.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
well a bit of advice to you, get someone who knows how to convert your present system into one with a electric driven compressor and they can deal with the engine and other issues you have with the system.

4000 watts is enough to drive the thing and there isn't much to the controls of the apu that you need to worry about.

okee dokee

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Carrier has a shore power option, their AC and Heater are both electrically driven.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Carrier has a shore power option, their AC and Heater are both electrically driven.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

It cost about $1000. I was hoping to stay away from that unit. The AC is VERY wimpy. I have the Proheat, which Carrier bought. Even when the AC is working perfectly it cannot keep my cab and sleeper cool if it is hot outside. Their systems are only 10,000BTU

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of those are framed and some aren't. A vent might be ok but a ac unit could be too heavy with no support. The vibration will crack that fiberglass to pieces.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some of those are framed and some aren't. A vent might be ok but a ac unit could be too heavy with no support. The vibration will crack that fiberglass to pieces.

Thanks for the input. I need all the help I can get. It is going to be a VERY long and HOT summer.. Already having to idle to keep cool.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It cost about $1000. I was hoping to stay away from that unit. The AC is VERY wimpy. I have the Proheat, which Carrier bought. Even when the AC is working perfectly it cannot keep my cab and sleeper cool if it is hot outside. Their systems are only 10,000BTU

I can't imagine 10,000 BTU can't keep you cool. What do you drive and how much of it are you trying to keep cool?

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't imagine 10,000 BTU can't keep you cool. What do you drive and how much of it are you trying to keep cool?

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

I have a FTL M112 with an Alumijunk 96" sleeper. My APU, when it bothers to work, will not bring it down much below 85 or 90 if it over 100 or humid. My truck AC is about 30,000BTU and it does the job just fine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout reinsulate your sleeper with better material than fiberglass mat

10000 btu is more than enough to keep cool if the sleeper is insulated right.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout reinsulate your sleeper with better material than fiberglass mat

10000 btu is more than enough to keep cool if the sleeper is insulated right.

Well, it is AlumiJunk It is not only the poor insulation, it has a lot to do with where the AC vents are located.

I would LOVE to design and build my own sleeper. All it would take is a zillion bucks or so. If I had enough to do that chances are I would not need to expedite, eh?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well, it is AlumiJunk It is not only the poor insulation, it has a lot to do with where the AC vents are located.

Why? where are the vents located? outside?

I can tell you this, I've re-insulated about 30 sleepers, a few alumibunks and the improvements that just this one thing makes is amazing. I would venture to guess that you also have a problem with heat soaking from the cab, but nevertheless, new insulation is the way to go.

It actually is easy to do, if you approach it in a logical way, starting with taking one panel off and seeing what's behind it.

The last one I did, which was made by some company in Texas was the hardest one yet, They used wood for the backing of the panels and one area leaked behind the panel rotting the panel and causing mold. I replaced the panels with a plastic and a heat barrier on top and then the vinyl on top of that, the guy was telling me that his a/c was hardly running and he was getting too cold.

The one thing I highly recommend is if yours was made with house wiring, get rid of it and replace it with marine wiring. My beenz had a little fire in the wall because the wiring was shorting against the frame.

I would LOVE to design and build my own sleeper. All it would take is a zillion bucks or so. If I had enough to do that chances are I would not need to expedite, eh?

It isn't hard, I will be doing this with the new truck next year. I am tired of the crap workmanship and the crap materials I have seen in most of the sleepers I worked on. I think taking a good approach of learning from the marine industry was the right thing to do coupled with a few visits to Kenworth and Volvo has helped a lot too.