APU question

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Greg's suggestion about reinsulating your sleeper might be the most economical way to acheive your goal of cool air, and save on fuel to boot.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why? where are the vents located? outside?

I can tell you this, I've re-insulated about 30 sleepers, a few alumibunks and the improvements that just this one thing makes is amazing. I would venture to guess that you also have a problem with heat soaking from the cab, but nevertheless, new insulation is the way to go.

It actually is easy to do, if you approach it in a logical way, starting with taking one panel off and seeing what's behind it.

The last one I did, which was made by some company in Texas was the hardest one yet, They used wood for the backing of the panels and one area leaked behind the panel rotting the panel and causing mold. I replaced the panels with a plastic and a heat barrier on top and then the vinyl on top of that, the guy was telling me that his a/c was hardly running and he was getting too cold.

The one thing I highly recommend is if yours was made with house wiring, get rid of it and replace it with marine wiring. My beenz had a little fire in the wall because the wiring was shorting against the frame.

It isn't hard, I will be doing this with the new truck next year. I am tired of the crap workmanship and the crap materials I have seen in most of the sleepers I worked on. I think taking a good approach of learning from the marine industry was the right thing to do coupled with a few visits to Kenworth and Volvo has helped a lot too.

All the vents are in the sleeper. The cab floor is a real problem.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So the truck A/C vents are also in the sleeper?

The term used is Heat Soaking, it is when you turn off the truck and the heat rises from the floor. I know of several ways to fix the problem, from insulating the floor to coating the underside of the cab with a ceramic coating - all time consuming but worth the effort.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Truck vents are where they always are. There is a 'secondary' AC in the bunk that operates when the truck is running. All vent for that APU are in the sleeper.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So you make no sense, the A/C from the APU should be in the sleeper, If you want to move air up to the cab, then there are ways of doing that.

BUT overall the re-insulating of the sleeper should be done.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So you make no sense, the A/C from the APU should be in the sleeper, If you want to move air up to the cab, then there are ways of doing that.

BUT overall the re-insulating of the sleeper should be done.

The insulation needs done. I also need a series of duct work, when stopped, the cab is part of my 'house'. Also need a way to have different temps in cab/sleeper at the same time.

I NEED a lot. Most likely will never get it. Other than the insulcation.

I need to design and build my own, but that ain't gonna happen either.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The insulation needs done. I also need a series of duct work, when stopped, the cab is part of my 'house'. Also need a way to have different temps in cab/sleeper at the same time.

I NEED a lot. Most likely will never get it. Other than the insulcation.

I need to design and build my own, but that ain't gonna happen either.

All of that is doable, not a lot of cost either but planning is involved. I would help but the last time I went down to Monroe, everyone ran so no second chances.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All of that is doable, not a lot of cost either but planning is involved. I would help but the last time I went down to Monroe, everyone ran so no second chances.

Yeah, Well, I remember what REALLY happened that night! So does Mrs. Layoutshooter! Go tell it to the mice. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah I pull in and everyone scatters, reminds me of ....

Sorry Greg, not what happened. We were ALL inside when you pulled in. Then about 1/2 later, went out, stood around out there, looking at an APU and talking. Did that for about 1/2 or so THEN we left. You could not be seen in your cab and did not come out. We had a pleasant evening, your loss. Besides, well, no, not good to go into the rest, no is it? ;)

Not to worry. I will figure out something on the truck. Your off the hook.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah I pull in and everyone scatters, reminds me of ....

Sorry Greg, not what happened. We were ALL inside when you pulled in. Then about 1/2 later, went out, stood around out there, looking at an APU and talking. Did that for about 1/2 or so THEN we left. You could not be seen in your cab and did not come out. We had a pleasant evening, your loss. Besides, well, no, not good to go into the rest, now is it? ;)

Not to worry. I will figure out something on the truck. Your off the hook.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
To keep your truck cool in high outside temps, park faceing North East, keep your windshield out of the sun. The insulation in my sleeper sucks too. In \heonix or laredo during june july or august, I just iddle the truck cause the carrier can't keep up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To keep your truck cool in high outside temps, park faceing North East, keep your windshield out of the sun. The insulation in my sleeper sucks too. In \heonix or laredo during june july or august, I just iddle the truck cause the carrier can't keep up.

We try to park to minimize sun. We do have good window shades that help but the ProHeat is just too wimpy in that kind of heat.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Money wise, how much are you willing to pay upfront,
and how much a month are you willing to pay to make this problem solved.
knowing that will help us help you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Money wise, how much are you willing to pay upfront,
and how much a month are you willing to pay to make this problem solved.
knowing that will help us help you.

Not sure yet. I am going to get my AC patched again when I am home next time. I will have a MUCH better idea what I can or can't do after June.

I would love to replace the APU. It is circling the drain.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Where do they get these numbers for idling and fuel consumption?
We burn .65 GPH idling.
The last APU we used burned .35 GPH.
The ROI is a lot longer using these figures then there claimed ones.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where do they get these numbers for idling and fuel consumption?
We burn .65 GPH idling.
The last APU we used burned .35 GPH.
The ROI is a lot longer using these figures then there claimed ones.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

It kinda don't matter with SO many anti-idle laws. I spent over $130 idling last week. That was for part of 2 days. I got a room. Cheaper in the long run. That 130 was just for fuel. Spent $160 for the room for 2 days. I have to do something.