Anti Virus and Internet Security

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I need a new anti virus and internet security provider.
I have been using PC Tools Spyware Doctor for the last several years but it will no longer be available after mine expires in two weeks. They want me to switch to Norton.
Any suggestions?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Anything but Norton, I think that is a virus itself!

I have been using Avast! on the recommendation of my website designer, BUT it and at least a couple of other anti virus programs blacklisted a bunch of web sites in the last few weeks that were clean and then gave him attitude about it. So, he for now is recommending Microsoft Security Essentials, I am still using Avast! until I see what pans out. Right now I am blocked from my own website by Avast! so not exactly happy...

TS

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have ALWAYS used Norton, and in the many years I have surfed the net I have had only one trojan ....

I'm not sure why folks do not like the program.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
AVG is pretty good, usually getting high ratings from the various comparisons, and has a free version.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I have ALWAYS used Norton, and in the many years I have surfed the net I have had only one trojan ....

I'm not sure why folks do not like the program.

AV software is quite often the subject of reviews, a plethora of reviews come up when searching for "best antivirus". Norton is very rarely in 1st place. I know older versions were large resource hogs AND difficult to remove, it was way more complicated than just uninstalling via control panel. I just read a couple reviews and the resource hog and having a death grip on your PC may now be outdated thinking, however of the 3-4 reviews I just looked at, Norton didn't even make the top three.

I used to use Norton, and I think years ago they were good and had some tools when others didn't, but happen to think that based on what I read in technical publications there might be better, they are well known, come pre-installed on many systems, etc. so I think a lot of folks just use what they have installed.

TS

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been back to Norton for the last few years after getting burned by others (free and paid). It's not as much a hog as it used to be, just a little hog now haha. But I chalk that up to actually doing it's job.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now that I have MSE could someone tell me how to turn off all of the pop up ads I am getting. Or is this the price I pay for free use.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
MSE is designed to prevent popup ads, not cause them (assuming you have popups turned OFF in your browser). So you've got something else going on there. Have MSE do a full scan.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We are getting ads with every click. Sometimes small ones and sometimes a whole new page. Browser is Chrome.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
copy this into the Chrome URL bar:

chrome://chrome/extensions/

Then, if it's there, delete wxDfast

Then, go to:

chrome://chrome/history/

And check except "Clear Saved Passwords" and "Clear saved Autofill form data"

Obliterate the following items From the Beginning of Time, by selecting that clicking on Clear Browsing Date

Then, in Windows Explorer go to:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

and look for two folders named
cmebbaagkcgafihjgfiogjgaopnichme
enbkmjkbdgihifpdhichdpdpacjkpoag

If they are there, delete them. If not, never mind.

That SHOULD clear it up.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I uninstalled MSE and I switched to Norton and did an uninstall and reinstall on Chrome. The problem appears to be fixed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The uninstall of Chrome did it. That removed that download manager plugin.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Getting a 60 day money back free trial on Norton.
You are correct Turtle.
It seems the reinstall of Chrome is what fixed it.