Another Question for JD Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Veteran Expediter
With fame comes the glory ...

from another thread :

..."The tough part is the office that operates the smaller trucks is independent of us ..."

just wondering how it's working ?

is this an dispatch outsourcing ?
none asset base carrier ?
what's the business plan behind this ?

good ? , bad ?

* wanted to post this @ the carrier's forums, but guess what, JD don't have one... :rolleyes:

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
it's like a drug ...I'm really trying here I don't know how much longer I can hold out ....
but I will be good today and not post 4 the rest of the day ....unless I really start to go through withdraws....
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
it's like a drug ...I'm really trying here I don't know how much longer I can hold out ....
but I will be good today and not post 4 the rest of the day ....unless I really start to go through withdraws....
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Metink, jes anuther roast goose hunter that found out this expediting ain't another union shop that serves it up. Y'all that are trying to run multiple, and cherry pick need some edumacation. And shame on those that make the multiple arrangement with you.

Tis nothing but heartburn for all concerned.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Metink, jes anuther roast goose hunter that found out this expediting ain't another union shop that serves it up. Y'all that are trying to run multiple, and cherry pick need some edumacation. And shame on those that make the multiple arrangement with you.

Tis nothing but heartburn for all concerned.

I goota tell you Moose, The business model for the independent office was great when concepted. However, the market is saturated with many "lowballing" carriers. At the time, our "in house" vans where getting $1.35+. Only having two vans and keeping them somewhat consistant with freight it was assumed I could handle this in volume. 1st mistake!

With the saying, believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear, that's so true, There are soo many vans working for peanuts. I think the van and sprinters on this website are more intelligent than to settle or work for anyone that takes cheap freight. However the market is much larger than just the good folks on EO.

I have carriers that call in daily with position updates looking for freight and tell me they are willing to take .50cents a mile to get moving. That's sad, but true. How can we compete?

And I do NOT have a "hands on" at that office nor have I ever spoke to a contractor that has worked for that office except for a handful. I'm not in the day to day operations and I have no decision making responsibilities. It is on our "ops mgr". And that was a bad idea. I should watch a little closer.

Could we say I have made some mistakes along the way? Could of been more proactive? Should of left a good thing alone and continued with the success of our larger truck division. I could admit that.

I never like to think anyone got a bad deal here, It never looks good, but it happens. Out of the 60 trucks we are currently running something is gonna go wrong. Add in the fact that times are slow it's gonna magnify 1000%. I have paid my dues, fixed the mistakes, and I have worked a little closer with that office to make sure we have the contractors needs in prospective. We have always had a "open door" policy and I take great pride in making sure everyone has the best opportunity possible, but **** happens!

And I have requested a carrier forum, but nothing yet. Sorry!

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
I goota tell you Moose, The business model for the independent office was great when concepted.

Well, thanks for digging my question out of the graveyard.
the rezone i asked that, is because unlike the truckloads transportation, from what i read, independent 3PL's are not so common in Expedite.
up until recently i pulled for a carrier that only used it's own trucks to move 1.25% of the totaled freight going through it's system. there by being able to provide unmatched value to it's dedicated costumers, and cherry picking the very best freight to be placed on it's contractors trucks.
we do not see that in Expedite, and i wondered why .
up until you mentions this .

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
ok let me get this straight you say in house vans are getting $1.35 ???? im curious what in house vans mean ???? and are they getting a $1.35 a mile??? reason i ask this is cause i ran into one of your drvers in florence,ky. he told me he gets .95 cents a mile on every run including fuel surcharge. he also told me he is one of your only 2 inhouse vans that you also just said... so you say you give your inhous vans $1.35 he said .95 cents a mile ... maybe i misunderstood what you are saying here john ... i believe he was 1 of your inhouse vans cause he had john clark on the van and had a dot ### im assuming was yours also...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ok let me get this straight you say in house vans are getting $1.35 ???? im curious what in house vans mean ???? and are they getting a $1.35 a mile??? reason i ask this is cause i ran into one of your drvers in florence,ky. he told me he gets .95 cents a mile on every run including fuel surcharge. he also told me he is one of your only 2 inhouse vans that you also just said... so you say you give your inhous vans $1.35 he said .95 cents a mile ... maybe i misunderstood what you are saying here john ... i believe he was 1 of your inhouse vans cause he had john clark on the van and had a dot ### im assuming was yours also...
When I read what he posted, I interpreted "At the time, our "in house" vans where [sic] getting $1.35+," to mean in the past tense of at the time when the business model for the independent office was conceived. Because, you know, that's what he said. Although I do understand the potential confusion between "where" and "were". Not sure how it could be confused with the present tense "are" tho.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I goota tell you Moose, The business model for the independent office was great when concepted. However, the market is saturated with many "lowballing" carriers. At the time, our "in house" vans where getting $1.35+. Only having two vans and keeping them somewhat consistant with freight it was assumed I could handle this in volume. 1st mistake!

That whole paragraph deals in the "past tense"....it doesn't say that there are even current "in house vans" or if there are what they are currently being paid....

I think jerry is just trying relly really hard to stir the pot with JD.. LOL, and it really isn't necessary, while I have no qualms with JD, he does a fine job of "stirring it up" himself...:)

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
chefdennis i honestly am not trying to stir things up but if i feel someone is not being honest, I will say something..... one more thing i do want to say is john basiclly blamed everything on his operations manager. now from what i do know is his operations manager is said to have told the same guy i ran into in florence , ky that he wants to go independent of john cause john has a bad name . dont believe me lets sit face to face with that driver. if he will say he never said that to me than i will appologize and never say another word again. now can i also have an attorney plz

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
ok let me get this straight you say in house vans are getting $1.35 ???? im curious what in house vans mean ???? and are they getting a $1.35 a mile??? reason i ask this is cause i ran into one of your drvers in florence,ky. he told me he gets .95 cents a mile on every run including fuel surcharge. he also told me he is one of your only 2 inhouse vans that you also just said... so you say you give your inhous vans $1.35 he said .95 cents a mile ... maybe i misunderstood what you are saying here john ... i believe he was 1 of your inhouse vans cause he had john clark on the van and had a dot ### im assuming was yours also...[/Q

When Earl was hired, Yes, he was gauranteed .95cents. But,because he is a part time retired driver and he handles my Canadian freight, it's actual not .95 that he is making. It's not uncommon to do a detroit to windsor for $500 just depends on the freight and supply and demand. It is common for him to get a load to Brampton and collect his empty paid miles at .95 just because I have a different agreement, and since he's not looking to work everyday it's a perfect fit. It's also true for a moment we used him in the other office but he was not happy so he's back with me.

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
i would like to know how many people believe that you would pay $500.00 for a detroit to windsor ??? please lets have a vote john says its not uncommon for him to pay a cargo van i repeat a CARGO VAN $500.00 for a run from detroit to windsor , but i am wrong to say that i think your lieing so i'll say that from my experience with you its very hard to believe!!!!

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
ok i just looked up the meaning of the word ( not uncommon ) or words when used in a sentence ....

When somebody uses the phrase "not uncommon", do they mean "common" because of the double negative?

I was recently informed that "not uncommon" could imply that something was anything but uncommon (e.g. rare), whereas I thought that rare would be a subset of uncommon and that saying it was not uncommon must mean it is common.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jerry my point was that while it seems you are trying to keep things stirred up with JD (you said no, and thats fine) it really wasn't necessary, because he des a really good job himself..as he did with the post that you too the $500 van run from...now that being said, i would say that is the NORM fr a run lke that, I cab tel you i have been paid more for a single 9 mile run.....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ok. So everyone knows that John is a member on this forum now. So instead of people asking him questions personally, he gets called out by forum members for supposed wrongs. If he answers, he is accused of stirring the pot. If he doesn't, then he is supposedly avoiding the question. What's guy supposed to do?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
i would like to know how many people believe that you would pay $500.00 for a detroit to windsor ??? please lets have a vote john says its not uncommon for him to pay a cargo van i repeat a CARGO VAN $500.00 for a run from detroit to windsor , but i am wrong to say that i think your lieing so i'll say that from my experience with you its very hard to believe!!!!

PROTECT
03/12/2011 16:49
03/14/2011 05:19
526910 458414 -
Acument/Holly Distribution Ctr
HOLLY, MI 428198 -
WINDSOR ASSEMBLY
WINDSOR, ON 62 mi.
2 legs
$ 911.62
Notes J.D. CLARK LOGISTICS
CARGO VAN

I know, I know I just made this up while I'm sitting here, But I have over 137 shipments that are average between $495 and this one being the highest.

J D Clark has a terrible name because of our rates. My service is 2nd to none. SO what he was telling you is he would rather break away from me, take cheaper rates for volume, and the give them to you at a cheaper rate. No Thanks!! Not this office!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Jerry,

Did you ever stop and think that we never had a conversation before I had found out that their had been a issue? I called you the same day that I found out their was a issue and told you that I would resolve it by having you stop by or cutting you a new check. Me and you personally never had a issue. It had been all the other office. The same you say now that they claim I had a bad name.

7 yrs brother, I lost 2 trucks! lg straights and tractors. Ask Moose, if he has talked to his friend that just signed on. It's been so slow lately I am paying him $1000 for the week cause I felt bad he hired in at the wrong time. I even covered their fuel to quit the other company and d/h up to my office. That's not what a owner does 1st off, let alone one that tries to not pay his drivers or do the best to keep them. I jump thru hoops because I know together down the road we are all in this together.

I really don't care about all the rambling your doing, makes no difference to how I live my life or run my company.

But truth be told, me and you have never had issues. It may have been the personalities at the other offices that you may have had problems with and straight up that sucks that you had to deal with it

jerry-jones

Seasoned Expediter
im done responding to anything any more.. not because i cant tear at what you just said believe me i can . im done responding to you john cause its begining to be a waste of time for you an i, you are right about that. you say this, i say this, you say this, i say this... but i cant leave without taking one last jab you say u started your cargo vans at $1.35 when you started that office????? is that right ???? im curious if you started your cargo vans at $1.35 when you started the other office ( about 3 or 4 months ago ) ... what did you start the straight trucks at 3 or 4 months ago??? im assuming atleast $1.75 - $2.00 since your vans where or were getting $1.35............................................................................................. u can answer i promise i will not respond or put it down ...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Mr. Jones,
would you mind explaining what your problem with Mr. Clark is. That can't be settled between the two of you in private. Instead of in a public Forum?.

Status
Not open for further replies.