Another Expediting First

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
agreed to that....after hours crew can well..."doh"

BUT if they really really need it....amazing how the rules can be over looked...even at anal GM....LOL
I was once unloaded on Saturday night at Ford plant. The Guard said nobody was in, plant is shut. Then one straddler unloaded me, refusing 3 others after me that tried to get same service.
The guard shack guy said good luck to my prediction of Mayweather beating McGregor that night, as well as getting unloaded.
Sometimes, things do happen.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in this day and age....you got paid to sleep...you weren't eligible for a load anyways with Panthers rules...so thumbs up:p

starrman65

Expert Expediter
Another expediting first, for me anyway. This afternoon I did a recovery. A Sprinter broke down while under load and was towed to an ABF terminal where the freight, 1 pallet at 555 lbs. was loaded on to my van. The delivery time was tight but my gps showed I would arrive 30 minutes early. Major traffic congestion resulted in my arriving 30 minutes later than the scheduled delivery time but 90 minutes past receiving hours.

The door into receiving was accessible due to a piece of sheet metal placed between the latch and the jamb. I entered and found a guy next to a forklift just inside by the dock doors. I did the who, what, where and sometimes why thing with him. He told me receiving was closed and to come back in the morning. I explained that this was an expedite load and someone was expecting it. Again I got the come back in the morning reply. I pulled out pen and paper and politely asked for his name an a phone number he could be reached at. He said he didn't think that was necessary. I explained that I needed proof of contact and my arrival and that the shipment was refused until the next day. This line always works! I have had receivers save face by saying as long its only one pallet or this one time only and then they unload me. Not this guy.

I asked one more time for his name. He refused so I took his picture. I called dispatch and while I was on hold for 10 minutes he told me I would have to leave or he would call security. I agreed he should get security involved. At least guards have name tags and I would have another witness.

Dispatch finally answered and said he would call the customer and I should hold. Whilst on hold the forklift dude informed me that security told him to call the cops and that they were on the way. I told him I would hang around and wait for them. 10 minutes into my hold time I was disconnected so I called back and listened to the crappy music some more. Finally I got the same dispatcher. He had e-mailed the customer and then blew me off. He did admit that customer said come back in the morning. So I got $75 layover pay and will return in the morning. I told the forklift stooge I had permission to leave and did so. He wanted me to delete his picture but I declined.

As I walked to my van a police car pulled up followed by two others. I assumed the position without being commanded and turning slowly told the cops I was harmless. I explained the situation and all I needed was the guys name. I told them I had permission to leave and would return in the morning. The dork came out as I was leaving telling the cops I took his picture with my phone. I waited a few minutes to see if this was going to be a problem and left. So did the cops. I hope to have a discussion with someone in the receiving department in the morning. I'm looking forward to mentioning the sheet metal in the door.
View attachment 16621

starrman65

Expert Expediter
Bottom line is you were late you should have just came back in the morning don't be that guy you give everybody else a bad name you're just a monkey delivering packages around the country

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bottom line is you were late you should have just came back in the morning don't be that guy you give everybody else a bad name you're just a monkey delivering packages around the country
Oh, my...
Talk about a mouthfull...
Monkey constructed sentence at best.

Reactions: Steady Eddie

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Ok toolbag, you don't seem to realize HE wasn't late, it was a recovery. He did more than necessary to arrive as timely as possible. You sir are (since it will prob be censored) a "device within which fluid is stored in a 'bag' which then forcefully sprays liquid into a woman's nether region for purposes of feminine hygiene".

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bottom line is you didn't read my entire post. I did come back in the morning. I was ½ hour later than the scheduled delivery time. This was a recovery due to a breakdown. Time was lost before I recovered the freight. Even if I had made the scheduled delivery time, receiving had been closed for an hour.

Who you callin' a monkey?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Starman, we don't call others names if we disagree with them. This behavior is prohibited in the Code of Conduct that you agreed with when you signed on.

Secondly, this industry used to be a lot more rewarding. Things like detention, layover, hand load/unload were more or less an automatic thing. Eventually, new people got into the industry that were just taking it without getting paid for it and those things now almost but disappeared. Maybe we should pay attention to the oldtimers here like Moot and learn a few things.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Moot, you met Gerry Beckley of America?

america_2.jpg

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of all the people who said they were going to write the book on expediting... I look forward to someday reading Moot's version the most.

And to keep it simple for Starman 'cause he's too busy(?) to read...

Moot is smaaawt...pay attention.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oooh! Looky what I got over the QC a few hours ago. Too bad my new found buddy didn't give me his name. I would like to thank him for refusing to unload me last night and send him some athletic tape.
View attachment 16627
Nice payoff to a somewhat eventful evening.
Happy for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is 1st time I have heard anybody not taking expedite load, great song and dance routine , one thing I always add was the 1st half hour is free than I'm going on clock at $25.00 every 15 min's and you want me to wait 8 hours to get off loaded that worked. you have to think of every trick in book to get off load and on to next load. taking the picture was a nice touch. most important thing you did was to wait until dispatcher told you leave. cause if you leave on your own, that just makes things harder, if you can't get a name take a picture. I would rate the job you did this at a 100 percent right.