Another Expediting First

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another expediting first, for me anyway. This afternoon I did a recovery. A Sprinter broke down while under load and was towed to an ABF terminal where the freight, 1 pallet at 555 lbs. was loaded on to my van. The delivery time was tight but my gps showed I would arrive 30 minutes early. Major traffic congestion resulted in my arriving 30 minutes later than the scheduled delivery time but 90 minutes past receiving hours.

The door into receiving was accessible due to a piece of sheet metal placed between the latch and the jamb. I entered and found a guy next to a forklift just inside by the dock doors. I did the who, what, where and sometimes why thing with him. He told me receiving was closed and to come back in the morning. I explained that this was an expedite load and someone was expecting it. Again I got the come back in the morning reply. I pulled out pen and paper and politely asked for his name an a phone number he could be reached at. He said he didn't think that was necessary. I explained that I needed proof of contact and my arrival and that the shipment was refused until the next day. This line always works! I have had receivers save face by saying as long its only one pallet or this one time only and then they unload me. Not this guy.

I asked one more time for his name. He refused so I took his picture. I called dispatch and while I was on hold for 10 minutes he told me I would have to leave or he would call security. I agreed he should get security involved. At least guards have name tags and I would have another witness.

Dispatch finally answered and said he would call the customer and I should hold. Whilst on hold the forklift dude informed me that security told him to call the cops and that they were on the way. I told him I would hang around and wait for them. 10 minutes into my hold time I was disconnected so I called back and listened to the crappy music some more. Finally I got the same dispatcher. He had e-mailed the customer and then blew me off. He did admit that customer said come back in the morning. So I got $75 layover pay and will return in the morning. I told the forklift stooge I had permission to leave and did so. He wanted me to delete his picture but I declined.

As I walked to my van a police car pulled up followed by two others. I assumed the position without being commanded and turning slowly told the cops I was harmless. I explained the situation and all I needed was the guys name. I told them I had permission to leave and would return in the morning. The dork came out as I was leaving telling the cops I took his picture with my phone. I waited a few minutes to see if this was going to be a problem and left. So did the cops. I hope to have a discussion with someone in the receiving department in the morning. I'm looking forward to mentioning the sheet metal in the door.
Forklift Stooge.png

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You lost me at “a Sprinter broke down.”

I didn’t know you guys did aerospace.
Your problem was you weren’t dealing with a forklift driver.

Looks a a Rocket Scientist to me.

Reactions: VSprinter

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Right?
No offense to hard working dock workers everywhere, but this Dumbo sure sounded like he owns the company. By the looks at the situation, "forklift driver" and "security guard" will spend the rest of their life refusing loads for mere pennies a minute. Again, no offense to hard working hourly people everywhere (of whom I once was too).

Besides, moot, you got $75 to sleep the night, some "people" spend that much on Hotel 6 per night.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Right?
No offense to hard working dock workers everywhere, but this Dumbo sure sounded like he owns the company. By the looks at the situation, "forklift driver" and "security guard" will spend the rest of their life refusing loads for mere pennies a minute. Again, no offense to hard working hourly people everywhere (of whom I once was too).

Besides, moot, you got $75 to sleep the night, some "people" spend that much on Hotel 6 per night.

Never would I spend $75 bucks!!

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Another expediting first, for me anyway. This afternoon I did a recovery. A Sprinter broke down while under load and was towed to an ABF terminal where the freight, 1 pallet at 555 lbs. was loaded on to my van. The delivery time was tight but my gps showed I would arrive 30 minutes early. Major traffic congestion resulted in my arriving 30 minutes later than the scheduled delivery time but 90 minutes past receiving hours.

The door into receiving was accessible due to a piece of sheet metal placed between the latch and the jamb. I entered and found a guy next to a forklift just inside by the dock doors. I did the who, what, where and sometimes why thing with him. He told me receiving was closed and to come back in the morning. I explained that this was an expedite load and someone was expecting it. Again I got the come back in the morning reply. I pulled out pen and paper and politely asked for his name an a phone number he could be reached at. He said he didn't think that was necessary. I explained that I needed proof of contact and my arrival and that the shipment was refused until the next day. This line always works! I have had receivers save face by saying as long its only one pallet or this one time only and then they unload me. Not this guy.

I asked one more time for his name. He refused so I took his picture. I called dispatch and while I was on hold for 10 minutes he told me I would have to leave or he would call security. I agreed he should get security involved. At least guards have name tags and I would have another witness.

Dispatch finally answered and said he would call the customer and I should hold. Whilst on hold the forklift dude informed me that security told him to call the cops and that they were on the way. I told him I would hang around and wait for them. 10 minutes into my hold time I was disconnected so I called back and listened to the crappy music some more. Finally I got the same dispatcher. He had e-mailed the customer and then blew me off. He did admit that customer said come back in the morning. So I got $75 layover pay and will return in the morning. I told the forklift stooge I had permission to leave and did so. He wanted me to delete his picture but I declined.

As I walked to my van a police car pulled up followed by two others. I assumed the position without being commanded and turning slowly told the cops I was harmless. I explained the situation and all I needed was the guys name. I told them I had permission to leave and would return in the morning. The dork came out as I was leaving telling the cops I took his picture with my phone. I waited a few minutes to see if this was going to be a problem and left. So did the cops. I hope to have a discussion with someone in the receiving department in the morning. I'm looking forward to mentioning the sheet metal in the door.
Why not detention?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes ... detention fee would be high... overnight fee is the cheapest way to go for customer....
Advantage to customer is the prime concern with nearly every carrier.
Panther should have a “on hold “ fee for the stories we have heard.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered this morning. Apparently the freight wasn't that critical. I mentioned to the guy in the receiving office that I tried to deliver last night at 6:30. All he said was: "Yeah, we close at 5:00."

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered this morning. Apparently the freight wasn't that critical. I mentioned to the guy in the receiving office that I tried to deliver last night at 6:30. All he said was: "Yeah, we close at 5:00."
Apparently, the "forklift driver" was smoking something for 1.5 hours on company property.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
being a forklift driver doesn't make him a receiver?...some places have to scan the freight in and the after hours crew does not have access to the scanner...a situation I've run into a couple times.....takes a foreman/supervisor over ride to take the shipment outside of protocols...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther only pays $15/hr. to cargo vans for detention after the first 2 hours and then only up to 9 hours. I was ½ hour late making the scheduled delivery and I didn't want to get jacked around any more by the moron in dispatch. A few weeks ago I got the 9 hours detention pay but it was a struggle that I didn't want to deal with last night so I took the easy money.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
being a forklift driver doesn't make him a receiver?...some places have to scan the freight in and the after hours crew does not have access to the scanner...a situation I've run into a couple times.....takes a foreman/supervisor over ride to take the shipment outside of protocols...
True to that.
However, I doubt this was one of those places, judging by the guy attitude.
Usually, answer is "we can't due to..."
Not "no..."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
agreed to that....after hours crew can well..."doh" :p

BUT if they really really need it....amazing how the rules can be over looked...even at anal GM....LOL

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This guy said he was a warehouseman, not a receiver. I asked to talk to a production supervisor to make sure the freight wasn't needed for a run that night. He said there wasn't one.

It's difficult taking a "Where's Waldo" looking guy seriously. Even the cops didn't take him seriously because they never asked me for ID. I not sure if they even ran my tags. I had some fun and got paid to sleep which is always nice.