And some of you want truckers with guns?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Trucker slain after talk on CB radio conversation -AP

SCIO TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- The Washtenaw County sheriff's department says a 44-year-old man was stabbed to death at a Scio Township truck stop after a conversation on a CB radio led to a confrontation.

The department tells The Ann Arbor News officers got a call Saturday to the TA Travel Center in Scio Township, about 35 miles west of Detroit.

They say Gregory A. Hobalt of Davenport, Iowa, was pronounced dead at the University of Michigan Hospitals.

Authorities are holding a 36-year-old man from Garland, Texas, while they determine charges.

They say the suspect apparently made offensive comments on the CB radio about the 10-year-old daughter of Hobalt's girlfriend.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
......And this is why I seldom have my CB on. There is always some doofus on there trying to start a fight.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I guess that'll be a little less CB chatter these days. Musta been a good one tho, to get killed over.

Thats what I call, committed to your statement. Where are our politicians, they could learn from this.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Because you aren't allowed to carry a gun with a four inch blade... :p

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
It's sad. I was an owner operator for over 10 years. I left this business for a more stable job that offered retirement and medical benefits. When I retired from there I decided I was too young to quit so here I am in expediting. In all my years of trucking did I ever hear the language and the hatred I hear on the CB today. It used to be a caring group that would stop and help a driver, lend him a few bucks or whatever. Somehow over time the demand outweighed the supply and the company's lowered their standards and now we have everything from ex-cons to illegal immigrants hauling freight down our highways. I don't need to stay in truck stops to validate my ability to drive a truck. I visit them only for fuel and showers. I will not resort to carrying a gun for my safety. I will however just listen to the box that seems to create the anger, my CB only when traffic is backing up. I do not exceed the speed limit so the speed traps are not my problem nor the weigh stations. Sorry to get on the stump but I long for the good ole days. Happy New Year to all and have a safe year out here.
Another reason is I have to wear a high collar to cover my redneck. CB talk ain't something to die for.
Old School
Robsdad

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Robsdad, I too long for the good ole days but I'm afraid Merle Haggard summed a lot of things up in one of his songs!
"The good times are over for good"!

Pappy :)

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I know you are right Pappy. And we both know this country will also never be the same. It seems we worry about the few not the majority. Off the subject but true just the same.
Have a great New Year
Robsdad

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Naw you can still find an ole hand or two to pass the wee hours with, just gotta leave the radio turned down till the kids all go to bed..
A full Petro is a nice big road.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
and that is why i very seldom have the C B on these days because of all the idiots or as i call them cb rambos back when i first started in the industry you very seldom heard this idiot babble you do now but if he made a comment about a young child he probaly deserved what he got as i always say beat me up take a sledge hammer to my truck ruin my belongings but leave my children or wife out of it when it comes to them i will stand and defend

Pappy

Expert Expediter
But I've been out her for over 35 years now!
I ca'nt seem to stay awake till the kids go to bed anymore!

Pappy:)

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with the everything you have said about family and children. But I think the underlying thing here is, if he had not got caught up in the cb bull that created this mess he would still be alive today. Just my opinion.
robsdad

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Buckeyewildman,
I know where you're coming from too!
I've got a southern redneck and cherokee bloodline and have been blessed with a buckeye wife for 18 years now. Yep, leave the wife and our kids out of it. Also leave my Mom and my sister out of it!
I'm sure you meant to add your mom and sis to your leave them out of it list. You must have just gotten excited and quit typing too soon!

Happy New Year To All!

Pappy :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Being not quite as old as dirt, I wasn't driving truck 25 -30 yrs ago, but I had a CB even so. Truckers were known as White Knights, and generally acted accordingly. They'd even help out a fourwheeler, and do it without 'looking down' on them - well, except literally, of course.
Now that I have a legitimate reason for the CB, I can't stand to listen to the trashtalk, or the gawdawful 'music' some feel compelled to 'share', or damnear anything I hear, when I want weather or traffic news. The anonymity of the radio allows the lowlife scum free rein, and they abuse it because they ARE lowlife scum, with zero consideration for anyone else.
As for the issue of weapons, it matters not whether the scum have any guns, knives, crowbars, whatever, because they're at the wheel of one very big weapon already, no?
The replacement in our culture of common courtesy with a bad attitude is the underlying problem, IMO, and we can only try to be part of the solution, instead of the problem.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Pappy don't you mean pretty much all female family members? If somebody says something about my granny it's on.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Cheri,
You bring up a good point,imo. These guys who murder someone or try to murder someone over a cb arguement would most likely do so whether they had a knife,gun,crowbar,tire thumper, or one of those bars flatbedders use to tighten done straps with. If someone really wants to assualt someone else with a weapon they will find one.

Another interesting point you brought up is the anonimity issue. Don't we have the same problem here sometimes on a smaller scale? It's like that cartoon that Lawerence has in his signature. You know, the dickwad theory. It's pretty much the same for the internet as well as the cb. The majority of the people in this country have lost their morals.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I have a baseball bat in the cab but that's only to itimidate someone who wants to attack me, I'd never raise it on another human being...I'm just not that kind of person. But the problem is there are truckers who would.