An Economic and Trucking Slowdown is Happening Now

Dispatched

Not a Member
RE: An Economic and Trucking Slowdown is Happening

>Are you trying to scare the newbies out of this business so
>your freight will pick up or are you just running that slow
>and you have nothing better to do with your time,

Since expedited freight probably accounts for less than 1/100 of 1% of all movements , it's obvious the quoted articles/links are more directed to the big truck industry. To suggest the linkage was intended to scare ? , borders on the moronic. Then to comment about usage of the mans free times ? Obviously one hasn't noticed the barrage of hourly posting post counters. Those individuals average between 5-10 post per day. Are they running that slow too ??

are12

Expert Expediter

Dispatch,

You posted:

"Since expedited freight probably accounts for less than 1/100 of 1% of all movements , it's obvious the quoted articles/links are more directed to the big truck industry." To suggest the linkage was intended to scare ? , borders on the moronic."

So why keep bringing it up here? Yes, to some, freight may be a little slower than last year but that does not mean a recession is coming.

To post: The better months are behind us, not ahead. If you have been a marginial producer in the last year or two, or if you have not increased your net worth in the same period, serious consideration should be given to getting out of expediting.

What would you call it? To me, that is a scare tactic!

Moronic?? Do you even know the meaning of the word??

adj of Moron:
1. A stupid person; a dolt.
2. Psychology A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

To me, that was uncalled for, since you do not even know me. I'll have you know, my mentality level is a little higher than that! :p :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

>
>>Are you trying to scare the newbies out of this business so
>>your freight will pick up or are you just running that slow
>>and you have nothing better to do with your time,
>
>
>Since expedited freight probably accounts for less than
>1/100 of 1% of all movements , it's obvious the quoted
>articles/links are more directed to the big truck industry.
>To suggest the linkage was intended to scare ? , borders on
>the moronic. Then to comment about usage of the mans free
>times ? Obviously one hasn't noticed the barrage of hourly
>posting post counters. Those individuals average between
>5-10 post per day. Are they running that slow too ??
Dispatched:
Since this is a site for expedited freight, if expedited freight accounts for less than 1/100 of 1% of all movements, as you pointed out, I have to ask Who's the moron?
BTW: I've been posting a lot lately, but it doesn't mean I'm running slow, but because my truck was in the shop. I'm picking up a load tonight in Detroit, for Alabama, so it's back to running at medium speed. (Can't run fast, wastes too much fuel, lol)
I think your assumptions are way off base, and you know what they say about the word 'assume', dontcha?

Dispatched

Not a Member

Excuse me, but i'm not the one who posted this:

"Are you trying to scare the newbies out of this business so your freight will pick up or are you just running that slow and you have nothing better to do with your time"

are12
Moronic?? Do you even know the meaning of the word??

Answer: Yes I do. See above quote.

cheri1122
I have to ask Who's the moron?

Answer:You asking me ?? :)

are12

Expert Expediter

Excuse me Dispatched but I am not the one that posted:

The better months are behind us, not ahead. If you have been a marginial producer in the last year or two, or if you have not increased your net worth in the same period, serious consideration should be given to getting out of expediting.

The A Team posted it, and to me, that is just a scare tactic!

What would you call it?

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Now now,

It don't matter, see the thing is we are in our own world anyway with our own carrier. If they can't provide us good loads that fit our business model, then it is a recession to that person only. This is very micro-economics working here and no industry indicators can tell me or anyone else for that matter what the future will bring with a specific carrier operating under a specific business model.

As for Phil’s comments, I stand on my comment – ‘you have to ask?’ moronic or not I can take the criticism. It may be the intention to warn people, which in a way this is the wrong forum to do that in but on the other hand by telling people how bad it is there is some semblance of fear mongering top leverage the need to get people out so I will give him the benefit of a doubt.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

This thread is just another example of the childishness that revolves around here sometimes.
Ateam makes a post and his distractors critize him and then someone defends his right to post and then that person gets hit on.
Some of those who constantly jump on Phil should grow up.
He has a right to post an opinion as you have a right to dispute that opinion without the personal barbs.

Would I scare the crap outta newbees?

You betcha in a heartbeat...this biz is not for the weak and meek if they can't take it here on a forum, how are they going to take it on the road. Only the tough skinned survive.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Ateam makes a post and his distractors critize him and then someone defends his right to post and then that person gets hit on.
Some of those who constantly jump on Phil should grow up.

OVM,
Man I don't beat up on him just to do so, I try to point out the other point of view and sometimes actually think some things are good info.

but this thread is somewhat twisted in my eyes, first thing is no one can predict the future or even say we are in a recession because the old rules are not working. Many economist have a hard time with the changing rules and our stability has been somewhat of a puzzle to many so called experts world wide.

After going through a university and being somewhat verse with the federal level of economics through force, I keep finding things in the press, the fear mongering and the incomplete information all pointing towards more of a crash than a recession but we won't know until it happens. How this will effect the industry as a whole, who knows and we can do nothing about it. If we are such a small percentage of the overall freight, being specialized might be the death of some but being flexible might save us.

I stand on my comments that the best suited person for this business is not the guy who has the super truck but the guy who is willing to sacrifice a little to weather the storm, newbie or not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I know your motives quite well and it does stimulate the "other side" of the story. You and I have often fenced with each other without getting personal.

As far as news stories they should always be taken in the context of which they were written...whether they be construed as scare mongering-fact filled- or is a just slow news day. Everyone has their take on the economy based on their own feelings and how their business is failing or succeeding and events surrounding their own lives.

I think the real quote was" borders on moronic" Rough statement.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"I think the real quote was" borders on moronic" Rough statement."

such is life, we are all adults here, right?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

Seems to me, if things are slow, you tighten your belt a little. Slow down, watch your pennies, and run. I know I'm going to get hit for this, but although no one wants to run the "cheap freight" as long the run covers your expenses and still pays I would think that in the slow times, you might just have to make that sacrifice. If it pays the bills, suck it up and do it.
I have no clue what the economy is going to do, it's never seemed to affect us like it's suppose to I guess. What I mean is, at times I hear "oh the economy is great, booming business, blah blah blah, and we've been poorer than ever. So, we just do the job, and keep on truckin

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

>Ateam makes a post and his distractors critize him and then
>someone defends his right to post and then that person gets
>hit on.
>Some of those who constantly jump on Phil should grow up.

Now lets not go getting paranoid...

Any post in a public form is subject to criticism.

Are you suggesting Phil actually has a fan club? :+

All I was suggesting was the business is fine at this end, no slowdown in sight except the time we always take around Christmas and January.

are12

Expert Expediter

OVM,

I don't remember calling names when I posted my reply. Like A Team, I am also entitled to my opinion, and yet, I was attacked for it.

As for being called moronic, it was childish but I am a big girl and take certain things with a grain of salt - and that is one of them!
:+ :+

are12

Expert Expediter

"such is life, we are all adults here, right?"

Do you have to ask??:p }> :p

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter

The original post is a quote from a magazine!! Perhaps ATEAM believes the article, perhaps they are just passing along information. Accusing them of trying to scare the newbies by posting a quote...I don't think of it as a scare tactic, just advice to get your house in order and your ducks in a row.
There are many economic indicators that may be pointing to a problem...the dollar is equal to the Canadian dollar, manufacturers are moving to other countries, we are consumers, importing goods, instead of the producer/exporters that we once were. The U.S. is trillions of dollars in debt. Not scare tactics...facts.
We're far from newbies, but we have seen a slowdown and to tell the truth, it is worrysome.
Thanks for the post, I'm going to look for the magazine and read the entire article.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Are..."BORDERS on moronic" He didn't say you crossed the line yet???
Darn...I border on moronic even psychotic at times...
Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive quote " I don't care"

Pelicn...I agree sometimes in rough times one has to lower thier standard abit to get by the lean times, meaning even your run pays the bills but you get little for your time. One does what they have to do.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Wow does this make me look smart? I sold my Expiditer Truck last May. I saw this downturn comming than... SERIOUSLY I DID. Smart I do not know but more secure is where I wanted to be. Right Wrong time well tell, smart only maybee.

Expedite is gona get hit harder than any other segment Look at the signs on the back of these trucks such as Old Dominion just as an example. LTL, Truck Load, Expedite, Warehousing, Etc.....They are just one company I see it everywhere LTL. Truck load and Expedite everyone wants a piece of the action.

Sittin around just waitin for that phone to ring. Aint for me.

But hey theres always charts and graphs, and Rose Colored Windshields. As some will be determined to make it rightfully so. Make your decisions based on what you believe in not what others may believe in.

Expedite is a great way to enjoy Trucking, I believe this will not last for years but maybee one or two. No doubt its here.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Broom,
I think expediting will be around, but in more of a remodeled version. I think we are already seeing that. Alot of variations that were not present several years ago.

As for dispatched, he said,
Then to comment about usage of the mans free times ? Obviously one hasn't noticed the barrage of hourly posting post counters. Those individuals average between 5-10 post per day. Are they running that slow too ??
========================================
Not sure? I haven't ran a load in over two years. But I hae noticed that out of 32 posts, 29 have been written defending the Ateam.
Might think your fooling some, but certainly not all.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator