An Economic and Trucking Slowdown is Happening Now

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: An Economic and Trucking Slowdown is Happening

What slowdown? We are having our best month since we started in the business 2.5 years ago. We have had to go out of service twice this month to sleep. Too tired to be safe. I don't know what is bad or good to who, BUT, we are making money and meeting our goals. So far at least. There have ALWAYS been dooms day people. They normally stood on the corner holding signs. Now they run the government and news sources. We will work as hard as we can, run what is offered if it meets our needs and if the bottom falls out we will do something else. Not going to worry about it. Layoutshooter

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter

Wow! Good for you layoutshooter...you must be doing something right (or extra lucky). To think the hubby and I were actually excited to get a run over 200 miles today.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

LOL, if it's luck it's the first time in our lives so I guess it's due. Our last run was 1900mi and this one is 2500. Not our norms but we did not say no. Most runs are around 750 to 1000 mi range.
Layoutshooter.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Sorry, forgot about the little 60mi run in between. Layoutshooter

mrgoodtude

Not a Member

Ok I was going to reply with quotes but too many good responses.
I think that if nothing else good came from the post it has served as a reminder to not become complacent.
I have to remind myself to roll with the waves and sometimes swim across the undertow 3 years into the game.
This is one of those times and am reevaluating my strategy as I write this.
Mike

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

OMG!!!

Head for the hills!

The sky is falling!!

NOT. :)

blacktiger

Expert Expediter

What company are you with. Those ones I see at that milage run lots of cheap stuff.

George

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I believe an economic down turn can benefit the expedite industry. Factories order less and keep an even leaner inventory. An unexpected order comes in and they need parts now.

Still I wouldn't mind seeing the heard thinned some. Traditionally some of my better months have come during the winter. Especially January. I'm still hanging in there.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

The opinions of the author of this thread shouldn't concern you very much. Many of us remember back in 1995 when things really slowed up, but only for a few months. Company's actually turned to expediting so that they could shrink their on hand inventory but still make their contractual shipping commitmments without penaltys.

Economic cycles come and go. The media plays a large role in this,by constantly forecasting bad news the public stops to think,"should I buy that new home or new car" and as a result manufacturing takes a hit. But you know what it always returns with a vengenance and suppliers of raw material and finished goods that go to another faclity to be incorporated into the final product need expditing to fufill their commitments. So my advice "hang in there and don't let a pessimisistic view point concern you.

Yes keep your expenses to a minimum,work with your carrier and you will survive just fine. Sometimes Bi Polar thinking gets in the way of rational thinking.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I think things have slowed down, but it seems to be in certain areas. Inside the major frieght lanes, it is still pretty busy.
Might encounter some slowing if outside of your companies operating prime operating area.
Not the first or last time we have had a slowing in this industry.
Be patient and watch your pennies.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter

Topic of the day

All great comments. I am not the seasoned veteran in expediting as some are here, but then again i don't have anybodie elses bad habits, just my own to deal with :)

Depends on how u want to look at it. Part of me agrees with your thoughts, maybe its just normal protectionism, paranoia in me that something nasty is on the horizon. Media does play a big part, heard that someone on CNBC said we are in a recession right now. But, as a previous white collar, business owner, follow the news all the time and read things like;
> Fed job growth eased in some regions
> Fed higher than usual degree of uncertainty about outlook for economic activity
> Fed Activity in the energy industry is still robust but growth has
> slowed
> Fed Residential Real Estate markets continued to weaken
> Fed Pace of econmic growth has decelerated since Aug
> Beige book results....
>
> Now the million dollar question is what will the fed do when they
> meet...?
>
> What good will it due to lower rates? Didn't do much for the
> Financials last 2 times. Raise rates to prevent inflation and
> possibly risk recession. Keep them the same and roll the dice maybe > it'll get better. Bush's remarks and Paulson's they are going to
> devise a credit finance plan to try and get the huge amount of
> mortgage resets that are already in danger of foreclosure and the
> resets that are coming up.. They both made remarks as to help the
> consumer and not the companies... We'll see something unravel soon!

i ask, what are we supposed to think?

And then back to the previous years blue collar side of me (or is it "in denial", "by - polar" side) says, what if i never read what the media and naysayers are stating, where can i find a better paying job then i enjoy right now with Expediting (BTW, i am not an o/o), granted it has fallen off some, but i am taking measures to weather.

I too think, or want to believe, expediting freight is a nitche, less inventory, companies tighten up by reducing brick and mortor warehousing expenses, surviving expediters will roll and pent up demand should eventually spring forward.

remember the term "rolling recession"? back in '74 (ok, now i'm showing my age) during the oil embargo, seemed everyone suddently wanted to trade there gas guzzling Cadis and Toronados for Chevettes and Vegas(god forbid). we got thru that, although now some 30 yrs later, and a couple times inbetween, fuel economy is a big factor once again.

Cheech and Chong, "recession, repression, depression", didn't seem to matter to them, why matter to me. Heck, after a recent visit to Hollywood, CA, and surrounding areas, don't tell any of the thousands shopping and visiting there, and the locals driving their bimmers, bentleys and mercedes, that the economy is bad. i want to believe our advanced and civilized economy, w/ our great infra structure of highways and byways, a "country boy can survive" in expediting.

Just my $.02 opinions worth. Time to step off my podium and get back to the work at hand, crawl back in my shell (read sleeper) now and hope i can get out of "###### Laredo" too.

Doug Burgdorf
Panther Straight truck
Contract Team

"Mama told me when I was young
Sit beside me, my only son
Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above."

or something like that,

Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

another hank hill, quit runnin or i'll kick it harder dammit. i am with the opinion that freight is getting harder to come by so i say that i am fortunate to have a good bunch of people finding us loads and keeping the wheels turning. we have good long runs and shorter ones to fill in but for the most part we are doing very well and i hope everyone else finds a way to stay busy.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

BlackTiger, We are with FedEx WG. They were not cheap freight. Talked with another driver today, says the same thing. Long runs at deceint pay. Layoutshooter

are12

Expert Expediter

Phil,

I think you have way to much time on your hands and you have beaten this subject to death!

Are you trying to scare the newbies out of this business so your freight will pick up or are you just running that slow and you have nothing better to do with your time, except quote what other's are saying?

Are we going into a recession? No one really knows the answer to that. If you get on line and read through numerous articles, you will find, some say that we are heading into a recession(the gloom and doomer's) and yet, other's are saying we are not.

Is the trucking industry really slowing down or is it just that there are more companies out there willing to haul cheap freight?

Are we worried about a recession? No. We can still afford to keep our home, truck and all the toys, plus buy another piece of property so I don't feel we have a thing to worry about. Do you??

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"Are you trying to scare the newbies out of this business so your freight will pick up or are you just running that slow and you have nothing better to do with your time, except quote what other's are saying?"

you got to ask?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

TeamCaffee,
I think you missed my point. First of all I'm not downgrading anyone for having a large sleeper. I often said if one has the capital/credit to get a fancy ride and maintain it I'm proud for them. What I was getting at was if the freight really slows down and gets cheap and the fuel goes up I don't know how they will make the payments and still put money in their own pocket. I'm talking about the trucks you see out there that are the big petes and kws that cost 100 grand before they added own the 150 inch decked out sleeper. Me and my wife almost started bedbugging for someone with me driving and her helping me load and unload and we would have been in an apartment on wheels. So don't think I have anything against them.

blacktiger

Expert Expediter

>BlackTiger, We are with FedEx WG. They were not cheap
>freight. Talked with another driver today, says the same
>thing. Long runs at deceint pay. Layoutshooter

Tried that white glove reefer thing and went pretty much broke. Spent most of ours days just sittin and lookin out a window.
Habdful of runs a month don't pay the bills.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Sorry to hear that, we have been busy all year and most of last. Must e the luck of the draw.Layoutshooter

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter

interesting comments but if you were around in 2000 then you are having de-ja-vue prepare for some lean times, cheaper freight, and hope the luck factor goes in your favor, the main difference this time is the out of control fuel expenses, or I should have said business expenses as anything to do with trucking from maintenance to parts and labor to living expenses are completely out of control, that is the kicker that makes this different than 2000, good luck to all

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter

TeamCaffee, your comment about campgrounds reminded me to ask, are there campgrounds that accept straight trucks? I would love to spend time at campgrounds if they'd let us in!! I remember seeing ONE sign that "truckers welcome" at one campground in my travels and cannot remember where I saw it. Anyhow if anyone has a headsup on some that would allow us, that would be great! Thanks.

Dianne