Always something new to learn

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In the process of replacing the fridge in the truck, I made a couple interesting discoveries: first, that the shelves in the GE fridge fit exactly into the cabinets of the FL Century, and there are even grooves inside the cabinet walls to support the shelf. (I would think that other FL models would have the same cabinets, too) Since there are two shelves in the fridge, one of which is unneccessary, I now have another cabinet shelf. (Actually two, as I saved the shelf from the old fridge, too.)
The nonskid liner sold in small rolls, is great on shelves, in & out of the fridge, to keep things from sliding.
The truck floor, without any rug, is too hot to stand on barefoot, which gave me an idea: placing something like a slice of pizza, or a ham & cheese sandwich, (in a Ziplock bag, of course), between the floor & rug, would warm things, without using the microwave. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work, no?
Last, that little metal tray in the new fridge is an ice cube tray, not a butter dish, lol. (But it's a butter dish in mine - 6 ice cubes aren't even worth the effort.) ;)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Is the freezer section not big enough to hold a regular ice cube tray? On that freighshaker you can take a steak(or any piece of meat for that matter) wrap it in foil and put it between the header pipe and motor and have a nice treat. Just don't leave it on there to long or it will get dry.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri! Nice idea thinking out of the box or frig in your case! We have also used the floor of our truck to warm up stuff. Right above the transmission the floor gets rather warm and is a nice heater.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey, Arkjar: there's actually a cookbook, that tells you how many miles it takes to cook a piece of meat on the manifold, lol. But with my idea, I won't have to get out & raise the hood, see? I can save the energy for more important stuff, like figuring out where to put tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream, so all are accessible, and none get spilled while rolling.
Yes, there's an actual freezer, but it's already full- I get a large cup of ice (free) at the truckstop, and what doesn't go in my drink, goes in a Ziplock in the freezer - much easier than ice trays!;)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The truck floor, without any rug, is too hot to stand on barefoot, which gave me an idea: placing something like a slice of pizza, or a ham & cheese sandwich, (in a Ziplock bag, of course), between the floor & rug, would warm things, without using the microwave.

Cheri, will your floor pop popcorn?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The truck floor, without any rug, is too hot to stand on barefoot, which gave me an idea: placing something like a slice of pizza, or a ham & cheese sandwich, (in a Ziplock bag, of course), between the floor & rug, would warm things, without using the microwave. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it sounds like it would work, no?"

Actually I have tried it. I took a few hamburger patties and stuck then in a cooking bag with a little spices and some water and let it sit on the floor as I traveled across from Phoenix to Gila River. It was medium rare before I got on I8 and let it stay there until the first rest area when it was medium well. Remember the floor is really really hot next to the shifter in my truck this year - next it may be a lot cooler.

No popcorn does not work out well.

And I think the book you are talking about is out of print. I am looking for the copy of the 30's book I have to reprint it. I am sure that is public domain.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nope. I know this because there are always those kernels that escape, when throwing the leftovers away, and none have popped yet - I'm sure I'd have noticed, if they had. I really do clean, occasionally, in spite of saying that I learned to drive trucks because I hate housework!:+

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I am still sitting here with a silly grin on my face after reading all this. I can't decide who is funnier, Greg or Cheri! But I have to admit, I keep picturing the hamburgers cooking on the floor...that is way out there, you know? I thought that warm spot in the truck was for warming my feet in my socks...what do I know??? Ha!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Every day should be an adventure, not a treadmill.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
India
Well I just don't know what to say.

I am being practical, not wanting to use my microwave while I am driving and being ecologically responsible, utilize the heat produced while driving in 115 to 120 degree heat across the desert instead of setting up the grill and producing more co2, it only is a natural way for me to think that this was better.

Now mind you that the aluminum ring around the shift boot get so hot that it melted my coin container and I actually had a very nasty burn on my foot when I was driving the thing without shoes one day and I actually thought of mounting a little grill there.

but seriously, I was following a suggestion from a cook book and I did use a cooking bag.

Oh, for you Cummins ISC owners, I am going to look into selling manifold grills for those who want to use the waste heat to cook. If I get enough people wanting to buy them, I will put them into production.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mostly, I think I'm funnier, but Greg's smarter..:p
India, I'm sure you'd have realized pretty quickly that what warms your feet, can warm your buns, too, no? And if it'll warm your buns, then the burgers aren't far behind...(OK, BAD pun!)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I was a farm hand we would park our tractors in a field where we could talk and eat on lunch break. This one old guy was always eating hot meals in the field. I asked him about it and he showed me the trick on the John Deere and the Petes we had. After that I figured it out myself. This guy would heat cans of soup even on the motor while riding thru the fields. You won't lose it on the tractor, but I'd be scard I'd lose it on the big truck going down th road.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I assume that 'losing it' refers not to tossing your cookies, but to the can of whatever falling out of place, as you're rolling along? If so, how about some duct tape to keep it on, and oven mitts while taking it off? ;)