All state express

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Well, I'm giving them another chance Monday. I'm headed home right now and since I live in what is normally a tough area to get out of and they have a load Monday headed to an area I always do well out of, I figured it was a good risk. After I drop Monday I will be in an area where I will have lots of options and will probably get something good out of. With that said, this is a higher mileage run worth a lot of money, so I will be hounding them mercilessly once we get to the 30 day mark. With what's been said on here recently, I think prompt payment would go a long way toward giving me something positive to report, and a positive report would be a good thing. I used to do a lot of work for them as a partner, but had to cut back because of the slow pay, but I'm willing to do a couple in circumstances where I would normally be deadheading anyway just to see if things are going to turn around. If not, then I will just quit hauling for them completely.

Your a brave man, hahaha

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I mean no ill will towards ASE. If they can get their stuff straight, then I'm real happy for them. I doubt it's been a perfect year for anyone. But when you come on blowin' a bunch of smoke on your 4th post ever, don't you think someone might challenge the mis-information?

BTW Spencer, there are a LOT more than two carrier CEOs on this site. You're just late to the game and are still wearing your blinders.

guido4475

Not a Member
Give it a rest already.

Years ago I used to be leased onto Rodriquez Expedited Freight Systems.Gary McFadden is a nice guy, often understanding of our needs out here as drivers, and knows what we are up against.While talking with him about how tough it has been for me to hang on, and I don't know how long I can take it, he asked me to come into his office, where he showed me a letter from Ford as to where they are now paying every 90 days, and asked me how I thought he was going to make it as well with the amount of debt he has to satisfy every week.I then understood more clearly and everything is now in a different perspective towards whoever I am leased to.

To the best of my knowledge, ASE has around 80 o/o's leased to them.And I imagine most of them use the fuel card provided to them by ASE as well.So imagine trying to support 80 trucks fuel usage, plus pay,plus the office staff,amongst other things, while their customers may be slow paying ASE as well.ASE is not owned by a major corporation, such as Fenway partnership like Panther, but by Spencer and his wife.Just like us, only bigger, with bigger bills.

I don't know the whole story here, just what is posted beforehand.But think about what I am saying.Youre not in it alone, by no means.I sympathize for anybody not getting paid as hoped or agreed for, but this is a sign of the times, and at least things are getting better, not as bad as last summer was.Be patient while people are still trying to get caught up from last year,while maintaining this years bills.Good things come to those who wait.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last carrier would not deal with Panther 4-5 yrs back either 90-120 days to pay...when they had organizational problems.

ASE will get over this...at least, during this crunch, they are paying their drivers every time, on time...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Give it a rest already.

Years ago I used to be leased onto Rodriquez Expedited Freight Systems.Gary McFadden is a nice guy, often understanding of our needs out here as drivers, and knows what we are up against.While talking with him about how tough it has been for me to hang on, and I don't know how long I can take it, he asked me to come into his office, where he showed me a letter from Ford as to where they are now paying every 90 days, and asked me how I thought he was going to make it as well with the amount of debt he has to satisfy every week.I then understood more clearly and everything is now in a different perspective towards whoever I am leased to.

To the best of my knowledge, ASE has around 80 o/o's leased to them.And I imagine most of them use the fuel card provided to them by ASE as well.So imagine trying to support 80 trucks fuel usage, plus pay,plus the office staff,amongst other things, while their customers may be slow paying ASE as well.ASE is not owned by a major corporation, such as Fenway partnership like Panther, but by Spencer and his wife.Just like us, only bigger, with bigger bills.

I don't know the whole story here, just what is posted beforehand.But think about what I am saying.Youre not in it alone, by no means.I sympathize for anybody not getting paid as hoped or agreed for, but this is a sign of the times, and at least things are getting better, not as bad as last summer was.Be patient while people are still trying to get caught up from last year,while maintaining this years bills.Good things come to those who wait.

Aw c'mon, Guido. Ya don't like it when everyone is pickin' on your carrier?

guido4475

Not a Member
There are only a few complaining, not picking on my carrier.But that is besides the point.This is the chance you take having youre own authority.Deal with it.So far, youre only out youre fuel and operating expenses.You should have enough in reserves to cover that, at least.You know, I try to be nice and understanding,trying to keep the peace, and you post a stupid, childish comment like that.Kind of like a kid laying in a grocery store floor beating his feet and fists on the floor.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What Guido fails to realize is that he's a bill too. Everyone who deals with ASE is just a bill... and we're sitting here... nevermind.

Just because Guido doesn't see the other bills don't mean they don't affect people. To say that independents should have enough money in their coffers is right... but irrelevant. Personally, I don't care about ASE's light bill; just as Guido doesn't seem to care about their partner bill. But those partner bills are connected to trucks, which are connected to expediters, contractors or not. Independents could easily say they don't care about the contractor bill. But in doing so, they ignore the warning that ASE isn't paying their bills.

That also works with the companies who pay their bills, who do work for companies who don't pay their bills. If that amount of freight gets too high, a contractor should begin to think about how things will be in the future, when it comes to his bill. Unless he knows about the liquidity of his company, one has to wonder how long they can stay solvent, depending on that amount of freight. Maybe I'm thinking too deep here. ;)

To sum it up, Guido should realize that, yes, ASE pays it's contractors. But in the end, he is just another bill... just like the independents. If one bill is not being paid... you get the point.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes ark they are...many just can't figgure out that.....if you stay in this business long enough, someone WILL beat you out of SOMETHING. And it bothers them, or, still IS bothering them. It's jes way too simple to get.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is only old if you were paid. If you are still waiting to be paid, might be somewhat relevant to the current day in waiting.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Well, as in most things in life today, the attitude of {if it doesnt affect me then i dont care } comes into play again.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I should have posed my statement a different way. I feel for the people who haven't been paid. Trust me, I've been there. I still have people owing me money. So yes I feel the small guy's pain. I am the small guy.

My thing is we have so many questions, but we aren't getting any answers like we were promised in the begining of this thread. ASE doesn't owe me because I don't do business with them. That's just me. I just wish we could start getting some answers to the many questions that have been posed here.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Maybe I should have posed my statement a different way. I feel for the people who haven't been paid. Trust me, I've been there. I still have people owing me money. So yes I feel the small guy's pain. I am the small guy.

My thing is we have so many questions, but we aren't getting any answers like we were promised in the begining of this thread. ASE doesn't owe me because I don't do business with them. That's just me. I just wish we could start getting some answers to the many questions that have been posed here.

I think the owner that comes here already knows the answer, Its whether or not he decides to step up and take care of business.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you guys miss the answer or what?...the gentleman explained the best he could...

Every business a certain amount of loss and they should have a slush fund of sorts to cover that day.

We are in a business here...all business is a risk....things happen..it is not a perfect world...when you guys are all perfect then maybe it'll be a better place like Oz...;)

So far ASE looks like they have done things the best they could to continue to do business...

1. Made sure drivers were paid! First and foremost.

2. I'll assume the larger partners were then paid. also very important.

3. Smaller partners paid. Well if a couple small guys refuse to take their loads not so much a loss...That is the way it goes..

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
What you guys miss the answer or what?...the gentleman explained the best he could...

Every business a certain amount of loss and they should have a slush fund of sorts to cover that day.

We are in a business here...all business is a risk....things happen..it is not a perfect world...when you guys are all perfect then maybe it'll be a better place like Oz...;)

So far ASE looks like they have done things the best they could to continue to do business...

1. Made sure drivers were paid! First and foremost.

2. I'll assume the larger partners were then paid. also very important.

3. Smaller partners paid. Well if a couple small guys refuse to take their loads not so much a loss...That is the way it goes..

Well, If they cant pay then maybe they should stop broking out loads till they can, and no, not all larger carriers are being paid. To continue to broker out loads and not paying is just plain ripping people off, no if's, ands, or buts. They dont even owe me money, but this not paying and then coming on here talking about how good a carrier they are does not hold water. I'd like to see how any of you speaking highly of them will react when your carrier doesnt pay you, Bet it will be different.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
oh but they will be paid just not in a timely matter...would it be better if they just defaulted completely?

You forgetting these broker guys know the risks by putting their services out there and being paid after the fact...maybe a way to deal with it is to have a certain %age put on a debit card or something to prevent this...

If it happened to me..yes I'd be pizzed off but would get over it...a lot of people get in a cash crunch and delay a car payment, house payment, insurance payment, and so on...that is life....

If one expects that ASE should have a back up plan because they are a business it would follow that those who do business with them should also have a back up plan...