all power generator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I haven't heard about / brand, but it could be another chinese made generator.

Honda's are good, even their older generators seem to hold up well.

BUT I wonder if this thread shouldn't be moved to another forum?

willgreg21

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2000 watt All-Power generator. I have been pleased with it so far. It runs a 5000 BTU air conditioner very well. Usually starts on the first pull.

Yes it is a Chinese generator, but it only cost $200. If it last a year, Ill be satisfied. It ran rough when it was new, so I took it back to Northern Tools. The service guy put a new carb on it and its been running fine ever since.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the big problems with those types generators is the noise, especially if you park in front lots, Walmarts, ect. Many are so loud they are rude to use within 50 feet or even more of anyone else. I have been tempted more than once to go disable one on the back of some van.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not the Ritz, but is common courtesy too much to hope for? I don't use my Proheat much, since the exhaust needs replaced - it's just too loud. Knowingly violating noise standards is just plain rude, so I turn it on only when far from anyone.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Ritz would come with a valet that for the right tip would go disable the loud generator for me and for a bigger tip find me someone to disable the owner too.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I always try and park in a corner of the lot if at all possible, Then chain the generator to the lt rear tire and point the exhaust to the rear. It is 2 decibals loader then a honda, but it ain;t bad....now tonight i am in the back row with 2 straights within 20 yards of me, they both have their apus goin and they are loader then my gen, so its no big deal, but some of those "open frame" generators are just LOAD....and yea I sometimes think about just shutting them off...but I don't...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I guess the noise is part of the business.

I've complained before about noise, like an air compressor unloading ever two minutes (maybe a serious air leak?) but I find it funny that people complain about generators running, even some APUs.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess the noise is part of the business.

I've complained before about noise, like an air compressor unloading ever two minutes (maybe a serious air leak?) but I find it funny that people complain about generators running, even some APUs.

There is a big difference between loud generators and apus in the truck lot at say a j and the same thing out where the cars park. I find it funny that people cannot figure that out.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a big difference between loud generators and apus in the truck lot at say a j and the same thing out where the cars park. I find it funny that people cannot figure that out.

Sure is. Car park areas are reserved for ear shattering speakers blasting out ugga bugga!!! We sure can't have something as quiet as an loud APU out there!! :p

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Although it may sound strange, but the type of sound something makes seems to make a big difference. A rock of something of that sort struck the muffler pipe heat shield on my van and it was driving me nuts even idling at a stop light but the steady hum you hear in the truck stops fades from my perception pretty quickly.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

1) Vans need heat in the winter and AC in the summer.
2) The generator is needed for that.
3) The front lot is where cargo vans park.

What's there beyond that to figure out? Being in the front lot doesn't change any of that.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I always back my straight truck as far back as I can beside a big truck. With my generator running, I walk to front of row and 99 times out 0f 100, I hear the big engines over my generator. I have never had a complaint and have always been considerate of my neighbor with this thing. But loud or not, I am going use it if I need it. I know that when it is running and I am in my bed, I can still hear a reefer over it. So I don't worry about the noise anymore.

And I am like gregg. The air dryer discharging every two or three minutes drives me nuts. You know they have to have a pretty good leak somewhere.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1) Vans need heat in the winter and AC in the summer.
2) The generator is needed for that.
3) The front lot is where cargo vans park.

What's there beyond that to figure out? Being in the front lot doesn't change any of that.

I guess your right inconsiderate is inconsiderate regardless where a person parks.

aukinet

Seasoned Expediter
I wonder if the idle police will be turned into noise police as soon as everyone has generators.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think running a generator is just part of our work environment, take it or leave it...for a CV it is a big world...plenty of other spots to park...works both ways as well...tho

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Maybe not the "noise police"...but if you Generator is NOT "CARB" compliant, those same "idle police" will get you in Calif......mine is...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no problem with generators if someone considers others. Some generators are no bother at all. Some of the cheaper Chinese ones are obnoxious. If a person has a excessively loud one they should try to park so the noise carries across the lot as little as possible which most do. It is the combination of the loud along with owners that do not take time to position themselves for the least affect that get to me. If it is to loud I do move but that doesn't mean my evil twin doesn't want to go disable the thing first.