Alabama Blitzing phones and drivers I-65

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Within 1 hour of posting,,
2 patrol cars came into the parking lot I was sitting in and both
officers (State patrol) had phones stuck in their ears..

Lic plates to these vehicles are as follows..
ST-1303 and ST-1526,,Are they exempt from the laws??
Is it ok to use the held held in AL.?

Slo-Ride I don't know their names but Ido know the faces,They have been with the state for years.So they think they have special privilges.I'll try to get Decaturs trooper post tomorrow and post back.Call them and complain if that don't work call Montgomery .The Post captain down there is pretty strict with them if he knows about the problem.Don't ask me how I know.
If spelling isn't rite ,just got the wife home from hospital after some surgery that was done early monday morning.benn up way to long.i'll fill more in later.careful guys

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sitting here with scanner on the city of Florence ,Ala they are checking every car tonite for phones and texting.

When we were on the way home tonite I noticed three cops behind each other talking and texting at the same time also.Itold them the donut shop was already closed.would open in the morning at 5.00 am.I knew two of them though.

been at hospital with wife since late Sunday nite with limited sleep:eek:so i'm going to crash.BE CAREFUL GUYS fill you in later

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It's only a trap for those who chose not to comply with the phone use laws.

Of course, the same could be said for any "law," couldn't it, no matter how egregious? If they passed a "law" banning blue shirts on Tuesdays, would you feel the same? Then they start demanding people unzip their coats for a shirt-check. It's only a trap if you're breaking the law, right?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are going to exempt public safety from following this law, then it is clear that it is a cash grab. There is no special training for police or anyone else that trains them to drive and work their cell phone.
If it does, it probably only exists to the extent of "don't stare at your phone too long".
Only if and when that happens should it possibly be looked as having some validity.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As for the rest, I'm not surprised to see these people talk like nothing bad could ever happen with these particular "public servants" because they had been "trained".....yea right, and I have a trained monkey too!

Don't we all?

images

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Apparently this cell ban does not apply to vans under 10001 pounds as they are not CMV's.

Found at Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Ban on Hand Held Cellular Phones - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Ban on Hand Held Cellular Phones

4 Q: Are holders of a commercial driver’s license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?
A: CDL holders are subject to the Federal rule only when driving a CMV.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Apparently this cell ban does not apply to vans under 10001 pounds as they are not CMV's.

Found at Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Ban on Hand Held Cellular Phones - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

4 Q: Are holders of a commercial driver’s license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?

So I didn't need to buy a fancy bluetooth headset? Oh well.. its comfy and much easier than holding the phone.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But get stopped in a van with markings on the side, they will put you in the commerical side of things. I know their is arguements to this but you know how they are.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Slo-Ride I don't know their names but Ido know the faces,They have been with the state for years.So they think they have special privilges.I'll try to get Decaturs trooper post tomorrow and post back.Call them and complain if that don't work call Montgomery .The Post captain down there is pretty strict with them if he knows about the problem.Don't ask me how I know.
If spelling isn't rite ,just got the wife home from hospital after some surgery that was done early monday morning.benn up way to long.i'll fill more in later.careful guys

Jayson,,I aint trying to get anyone in trouble anymore then I wanna see a driver burned for talking to his family.
But if ya do follow thru with your buds down there,,remind him it was the driver that tryed to get a free DOT Insp out of them sitting in the McDonald's parking lot..That should jog 1 of their memorys..Maybe??? (Actually the patrolman I talked to was not on the phone he was working a truck when the other two pulled in along side of him.)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so did you all whine when the teacher went off property for a smoke and you could not? gee whiz......grow a set will ya...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
so did you all whine when the teacher went off property for a smoke and you could not? gee whiz......grow a set will ya...

Nope we didnt whine untill hall passes went into effect.

We could allways smoke in school..We had a area set up for student smokers..Teachers smoked inside their break room.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But get stopped in a van with markings on the side, they will put you in the commerical side of things. I know their is arguements to this but you know how they are.
Believe it or not, unlike the vast, overwhelming majority of truck drivers, the vast, overwhelming majority of police officers who enforce DOT regulations know the definition of, and what constitutes, a Commercial Motor Vehicle. Police officers don't just "put you in the commercial side of things" unless you are already in that side.

Sure, it may happen on rare occasions where some Barney Fife erroneously gives you a ticket for it, but that doesn't mean you have to erroneously pay the stupid ticket just because you got a ticket. If you broke the law you'll have to pay the ticket, but if you didn't, you don't. Minimal effort will have the ticket dismissed.

All you have to be aware of is the texting and handheld cell phone laws in a given state. Using a Bluetooth headset is easier and safer, anyway. Just do it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Teachers were actually in authority over us, adults, in loco parentis. Cops are public servants with fewer rights than us, not more. There's a difference. There are a few things, by virtue of their office, that they get to do that we don't. Aside from those few things, they belong to us and have to obey the same laws we do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Teachers were actually in authority over us, adults, in loco parentis. Cops are public servants with fewer rights than us, not more. There's a difference. There are a few things, by virtue of their office, that they get to do that we don't. Aside from those few things, they belong to us and have to obey the same laws we do.

You are dreaming.....position has privilege...always has thru history....
if that trooper gets a perk of talking on the phone that is fine by me......knowing most will be there to pull me out of the van in an accident or do CPR or simply pull behind me at night to shine his lights while changing a tire or let me sit in his cruiser so I don't freeze to death till the tow truck shows up...

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Within 1 hour of posting,,
2 patrol cars came into the parking lot I was sitting in and both
officers (State patrol) had phones stuck in their ears..

Lic plates to these vehicles are as follows..
ST-1303 and ST-1526,,Are they exempt from the laws??
Is it ok to use the held held in AL.?
Yes laaw enforcment and emergency vehicle are exempt.., The excuse is they could be using phone instead of radio to 'sneak up' some one who might be listening..

coppertone

Active Expediter
For the 2nd day in row Al. is nailing em hard from the Tn state line to the Athens area on I-65.. At least 7 patrol cars working the area since yesterday..They are staging @ the Shell gas station exit 351..At times their is a patrolman (on the bridge) with binocoulas spotting drivers with phones to their ears and using chase cars to run em down..CB rumor has it they are doing full inspections along the shoulder also once they have you.. Be carefull its a trap down here..:eek:

Watch it in Florida too. A friend of my husband crossed a scale on I-75 and was stopped. The DOT officer asked to see his cell phone. He was checking for any recent calls. He didn't have any, but he told the officer he always uses his bluetooth, which he was wearing at the time. The officer said it didn't matter. If he had any recent calls he could be ticketed and would have to prove in court that he was using his bluetooth at the time of the call. If he couldn't...well...I think we know how that trip to court would turn out. Even when you abide by the law they will still find a way to get your last dollar.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Watch it in Florida too. A friend of my husband crossed a scale on I-75 and was stopped. The DOT officer asked to see his cell phone. He was checking for any recent calls. He didn't have any, but he told the officer he always uses his bluetooth, which he was wearing at the time. The officer said it didn't matter. If he had any recent calls he could be ticketed and would have to prove in court that he was using his bluetooth at the time of the call. If he couldn't...well...I think we know how that trip to court would turn out. Even when you abide by the law they will still find a way to get your last dollar.

Anybody who hands their phone over is a fool. Get a warrant or no phone.