Alabama Blitzing phones and drivers I-65

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
For the 2nd day in row Al. is nailing em hard from the Tn state line to the Athens area on I-65.. At least 7 patrol cars working the area since yesterday..They are staging @ the Shell gas station exit 351..At times their is a patrolman (on the bridge) with binocoulas spotting drivers with phones to their ears and using chase cars to run em down..CB rumor has it they are doing full inspections along the shoulder also once they have you.. Be carefull its a trap down here..:eek:

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As I said in another post, nothing more than a revenue enhancement program.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I haven't seen much of decrease in hand held phone use in a CMV since the law took affect.

Within 1 hour of posting,,
2 patrol cars came into the parking lot I was sitting in and both
officers (State patrol) had phones stuck in their ears..

Lic plates to these vehicles are as follows..
ST-1303 and ST-1526,,Are they exempt from the laws??
Is it ok to use the held held in AL.?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Within 1 hour of posting,,
2 patrol cars came into the parking lot I was sitting in and both
officers (State patrol) had phones stuck in their ears..

Lic plates to these vehicles are as follows..
ST-1303 and ST-1526,,Are they exempt from the laws??
Is it ok to use the held held in AL.?

Ummm, right now it's for CMV's only......

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Ummm, right now it's for CMV's only......

Right I know the disscusion is for CMVs.
I was just thinking a state trooper would lead by example..whats good for one should be good for all..
Its still distracted driving no matter what you are driving..
I wish I would have got a picture..I had a good chance on the second guy but I was waiting to pull out of there and didn't want any flags on me..LOL

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Right I know the disscusion is for CMVs.
I was just thinking a state trooper would lead by example..whats good for one should be good for all..
Its still distracted driving no matter what you are driving..
I wish I would have got a picture..I had a good chance on the second guy but I was waiting to pull out of there and didn't want any flags on me..LOL

Nice thought but I'm gonna go out on a short limb here and predict that even when they FINALLY shut down cell phone use for all drivers, the highway patrol, etc. will not consider that the law applies to them.....just sayin'

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll go out on an even shorter limb and say it won't apply to anybody in a parking lot. :D

In Minnesota and California it is illegal to have anything suckered to you windshield (GPS, XM radio, etc.), except for law enforcement and other first responders, where the law explicitly allows them to do so.

The federal law (the one Obama decreed with Executive Order: One-Three-Five-One-Three) that prohibits federal employees "from texting while driving on official business or while operating a government vehicle," also specifically exempts "certain employees, devices, or vehicles in their respective agencies that are engaged in or used for protective, law enforcement, or national security responsibilities or on the basis of other emergency conditions."

But the one that really cracks me up is the statement by the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration):

“No matter who is sitting behind the wheel, distracted driving is unsafe, irresponsible, and could have devastating consequences. However, the nation’s public safety professionals – including first responders such as police, fire, and EMS – have a special mission, information needs, and training that clearly distinguish them from other motorists on our roadways. In particular, law enforcement officers need certain in-vehicle equipment to do their job safely and effectively. As a result, law officers are trained to operate their vehicle and its equipment without compromising their own safety or that of other road users.”

No, seriously, I'm not making this up. They actually said that.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
In Slo-Ride's defense, I'll remind that he stated that the troopers were coming into the parking lot with phone attached to ear.

As for the rest, I'm not surprised to see these people talk like nothing bad could ever happen with these particular "public servants" because they had been "trained".....yea right, and I have a trained monkey too!

That takes me back to a time when my children were young, before cell phones, when an ambulance driver on his way to an accident (by the way, he was the back up squad) thought he had the right of way to pass a stopped school bus. Two brothers were departing the bus, trying to make it across the road to their drive way. He hit them both, one died and the other was badly hurt. Somehow I don't think those parents could be convinced that the driver of that ambulance had any "special" training.

Just a sad reminder that some people put too much confidence in these so-called public servants, not realizing that they're just people like you and I.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Dave-

One of the few times I disagree w/ ya. I think it's a step in the right direction safety wise. If they can make a few extra $$ along the way, fine. I doubt the revenue from these tickets will make much of an impact on Alabama's budget.

The idea is to deter people from doing something that's unsafe.

Once again today I was behind someone in a center turn lane. I was about 5 cars back. This guy/gal is more than likely yappin on the phone. I say more than likely because in truth for this specific incident I didn't see the driver talking. There's been enough times in the past though where I have seen they were talking on the phone & have done the same thing.

Light turns green for us. Guy/gal doesn't move. People start honking. He/she finally looks up & see's he's got a green light. Steps on it at the last second & is the only one to make it thru the light.

While I think one drunk driver is worse than one cell phone driver. I feel overall the cell phone problem is worse because so many more people are doing it.

As I said in another post, nothing more than a revenue enhancement program.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
.....yea right, and I have a trained monkey too!
And people wonder what the secret is to a successful marriage. There it is people, right there! :D

moose

Veteran Expediter
If it's all about training,
then where can i go to obtain such training,
and how can i apply for an exemption ?
surly i (like many over here), have more professional safe driving experience then most LEO's,
then what's the problem here ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Since Diva's face seems to be rather unscathed, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yes Both these officers where coming in off a public street into the parking lot..The one I really wanted a pic of,,By his facial expressions it was obvious he wasn't working but laughing and carrying on.

Danny: Of course it wont impact the budget..taxes haven't even done that but the ppl are still taxed heavily.
What are the new fines earmarked for? Will the new revenue be used to reduce taxes?? Where will this money be hidden? In my opinion Dave is right on when he and so many others say its just another revenue enhanced program..Nothing is going to stop phone use out here,,To much money is moved in the vechicles..We just gotta be careful how we get away with it now.
No one wants to wreck but if its your day in the barrel its your day,its going to happen one way or another.
I know ya didn't really mean Phone use is worst then D/Driving?? Did ya? Did ya mean texting and driving?
We created enough laws and education against drunk driving and it hasn't stopped yet.

I actually find this hands free thing more of a distraction then just using the phone by itself at this time,,I know it will take time to get use to it.

Turtle: Wonder if we could get in on that special training also? Clearly Truck drivers have a special mission, information needs, and training that clearly distinguish them from other motorists on our roadways. :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hey Slo- A few thoughts in between your comments.

Yes Both these officers where coming in off a public street into the parking lot..The one I really wanted a pic of,,By his facial expressions it was obvious he wasn't working but laughing and carrying on.

Danny: Of course it wont impact the budget..taxes haven't even done that but the ppl are still taxed heavily.
What are the new fines earmarked for? Will the new revenue be used to reduce taxes?? Where will this money be hidden? In my opinion Dave is right on when he and so many others say its just another revenue enhanced program..Nothing is going to stop phone use out here,,

I'd got to believe the technology is already there. Just have the phones disabled at a certain speed.

To much money is moved in the vechicles..We just gotta be careful how we get away with it now.
No one wants to wreck but if its your day in the barrel its your day,its going to happen one way or another.
I know ya didn't really mean Phone use is worst then D/Driving?? Did ya? Did ya mean texting and driving?

The way I see the drunk driving thing/cell phone driving thing is like this. One drunk driver would be like a rattlesnake bite. One cell phone driver would be like a bee sting. So one cell phone driver isn't as bad as one drunk driver. When ya figure the millions of people who drive while talking vs the thousands who drive drunk, then I think overall, cell phone drivers are a worse problem. Sorta like getting swarmed by bees.

Just today, another incident. Lady getting on the highway. She's got her flippin head down looking at the passenger seat. I moved over to let her merge in. I guess she felt the need to go on into the center lane. I tapped my horn. She looked up & caught herself. Got back in the right lane.

What I mean is a bunch of incidents like that are an overall worse problem than 1 drunk.

I will say that yea, she's prolly texting in this case. Still, I'd just like to see cell phones de-activated in moving vehicles.

The exception is I do think someone should be able to dial 911. Yes they may be distracted. I think the overall good of those distracted drivers outweighs the distraction. If ya can pull over & dial 911, that would be better. But I can see where there may be cases that someone might not be able too & someone else may need emergency assistance.

btw/ I'm not giving drunk driving a pass. I think the penalties for drunks should be worse than the penalties for cell phone use. I'd just like to see both things eliminated from our roads.

People have the right to expect the other person will be paying attention while driving. There's enough accidents as it is.

We created enough laws and education against drunk driving and it hasn't stopped yet.

I actually find this hands free thing more of a distraction then just using the phone by itself at this time,,I know it will take time to get use to it.

Turtle: Wonder if we could get in on that special training also? Clearly Truck drivers have a special mission, information needs, and training that clearly distinguish them from other motorists on our roadways. :D

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Since Diva's face seems to be rather unscathed, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Sorry cricket cruncher, I was going to link to the video of the ape that went ape but after watching the victim's interview, I realized it would be tasteless to make lite of that event...so we will let "trained monkey" stand on its own...:)

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Illinois had one if its specially trained Public servants kill two daughters when he was travelling to a car on the side of the road at 120 MPH in rush hour traffic, What are we trained Monkeys, How many of you folks have been doing this for years, Ive said before these laws are for the General Public, the AMATEUR DRIVER, I consider myself a trained professional driver, Ive had no accidents, No tickets, no Freight claims, Ive got several Jackets for safe driving, and awards from ATA, and companys and the State of IL....But I cant talk on the phone and get directions or take instructions etc while driving......Every little step they take more freedom, soon well plug our heart rate monitor into the onboard computerized driver monitor, when we do something wrong well get a shock, when we fall asleep well get a shock, if were parked longer the 10 Mins to get fuel, go to the bathroom and buy a soda or coffee the bells and whistles will go off, Its nothing but intrusion into a life that I enjoy, trucking.....But dont smoke, drink, talk on the phone, get fat, nod off, cough, speak english or youll be driven out, fined to death and stalked by the TRAINED professional law enforcement driver whose flying down the road drinking coffee and chatting to his date with the Blue Lights on !!!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of training for cops, a few years back one of state cops pulled someone over on the right shoulder and decided after an arrest to turn across the freeway (70 mph in that area) without waiting for traffic and got killed. Now it happened that a drunk hit him but from those who worked with him they said it would not matter if the guy was drunk or not, there was no way he was not going to get hit for his actions.