Ahhh-gust 2018 Locations & More

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting diagnostic tool, check it out....

FIXD Automotive – Understand Your Car
Nope, the work that was done on the computer hides most of the engine codes.
Now in Chillicothe, OH, going to run up to that famous shop in Toledo tomorrow.
What was the outcome? Did Wayne find the problem?
First problem was the carrier bearings on the drive shaft were bad. Took the shaft to the Fleet Pride shop. They installed new carrier bearings that were bad. After installing drive shaft there was a bad vibration. Now we are waiting for a different splined part, they claim won’t allow the shaft to balance. What a cluster, after market shaft, had about 370 K on it. Fingers crossed, tomorrow we have a good shaft and problem solved!

Right at 500K my Sprinter had a bad vibration I suspected to be the drive shaft. I had those bearings changed first, hoping for the quick, cheap fix. No such luck. Had the shaft changed less than a month later. I put a factory shaft on. It was expensive but I figured if I got 500K out of the first one, I wouldn't ever need to mess with the second one. Plus the joints on some aftermarket shafts aren't enclosed, they need to be lubbed regularly .... ahh, I didn't want to deal with any of that.

Those bearings can be a little tricky. In true Sprinter fashion there are different ones for the same model/year van. Some of them have tiny shims that affect the shaft angle. All matched up to your VIN of course.

If Wayne has his hands on it, it should be fine ...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right at 500K my Sprinter had a bad vibration I suspected to be the drive shaft. I had those bearings changed first, hoping for the quick, cheap fix. No such luck. Had the shaft changed less than a month later. I put a factory shaft on. It was expensive but I figured if I got 500K out of the first one, I wouldn't ever need to mess with the second one. Plus the joints on some aftermarket shafts aren't enclosed, they need to be lubbed regularly .... ahh, I didn't want to deal with any of that.

That's about when I had my drive shaft replaced. Had to have it custom made. Pricey, but said I probably won't need another one ;)

Reactions: NorthernBill

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I’m getting a fair amount of individuals responding to my post for owner-operators on various social media websites.

The biggest fear occurred this afternoon when I fielded a phone call from a prospective candidate who with a thick accent (I shall not divulge) said he’s interested in partnering up with me.

So we engage in some conversation and they tell me they do work for some brokers. So I ask him if he has his own business. They stammered a bit and after repeated questioning they state they do!

Okay......so my next question and I asked it several times if he has a MC and DOT number? They stated they do not! But they have two small minivans to help deliver my freight!

This is exactly what my fellow friends who are either in corporate management or owner/operators in this business are trying to stop and put out of business. Illegally running a trucking business and driving the rates down without going through the proper legal channels to become a reputable company.

We all joke that they typically run the old Penske cube trucks! Well my friends they’re out there in anything with 4 wheels!

I’m sure most companies are careful to scrutinize and vette prospective candidates but we need to create some type of communication amongst any person or entity who truly want to clean up the transportation profession and make trucking what it once used to be, a respectable profession.

My suggestion is a database of known people operating illegal carriers and brokerages who use these carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Think about when Trucking was a respectable occupation.
When it was regulated.
Rates were set. Drivers had benefits and enough income to afford the American Dream.
Entry was hard.
Many companies required uniforms. People looked up to and respected drivers.

No dirty, unshaven drivers in flip flops. Or at least they weren’t the norm.

I don’t think it will be respectable again in my lifetime.

Reactions: RedBird

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
When it was regulated.
Rates were set. Drivers had benefits and enough income to afford the American Dream.
Entry was hard.

And you’re right it probably won’t be in yours or my lifetime. But I stand with John Elliott and other professional managers and owners in this business whether they’re the big mega carrier or the small family owned who are operating legally and properly. We need to put these illegal operators out of business and spread the word like wild fire so that they will virtually have to become proper and legal to remain in business or close up shop and find another line of work!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When it was regulated.
Entry was hard.

And you’re right it probably won’t be in yours or my lifetime. But I stand with John Elliott and other professional managers and owners in this business whether they’re the big mega carrier or the small family owned who are operating legally and properly. We need to put these illegal operators out of business and spread the word like wild fire so that they will virtually have to become proper and legal to remain in business or close up shop and find another line of work!

As long as shippers will turn a blind eye, nothing changes .

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They close up. Change names.
You want to enforce regulations in a segment that is attractive for its lack of regulation.

I totally understand your thoughts.
I don’t expect much progress.
I applaud those trying.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Waiting to load, Grand Rapids, MI to Winona,MN.
Rebuilt drive shaft running smooth, may have hurt the transmission. It has a rumble type noise when pulling the higher gears. Not horrible, so off we go!
Could not imagine going through this process at a different shop. From me thinking it was the engine, to several trips to the drive shaft rebuilder. Wyane and family did a great job!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I probably should have recognized the guy before, but once again someone came up to me and basically was asking for money. His shtick? He drives for TriState and they got shut down yesterday, and he needs to get home.

The Mighty Google knows nothing of this. I wonder, though, is this one disgruntled driver, is he off his chain, what?

Reactions: NorthernBill

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I probably should have recognized the guy before, but once again someone came up to me and basically was asking for money. His shtick? He drives for TriState and they got shut down yesterday, and he needs to get home.

The Mighty Google knows nothing of this. I wonder, though, is this one disgruntled driver, is he off his chain, what?

I've seen/heard of this before using Tri-state. Just another panhandler. Maybe panhandlers have an "PO" like EO for Panhandlers Online. They trade scams.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen/heard of this before using Tri-state. Just another panhandler. Maybe panhandlers have an "PO" like EO for Panhandlers Online. They trade scams.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

It’s almost believable because it has happened a few times before. Just before Christmas in, I think 2012, a trucking firm called Arrow shut down suddenly. The drivers were asked to take their units to the nearest Freightliner dealership and drop the keys in the service department’s night drop slots, after which they were on their own. Some did as asked, some left the rigs where they sat.
Those drivers were truly abandoned by Arrow. Fortunately, most were helped by other drivers and associated industry personnel. The bosses ended up in prison, where they belonged.

As for this guy, he was probably fired and told to vacate his vehicle forthwith. He said he was in a tractor; they should be able to ping its Qualcomm if he hasn’t effed with it. Whatever, not my prob, Bob

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it time for a new one?
There is no difference if new or old get into an accident.
How is your repair going?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."
Talked with repair shop last week Monday. At that time I was told Sept 6 as long as there was no concealed damage. I will call them this Friday for a status update if they don’t call me before then.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well guys an gals my wife an I r splitting up so I have thought long An hard An decided I am gonna buy me a truck An head back out on the rd I found me a 2012 freightliner should do the trick