Ahhh-gust 2018 Locations & More

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1rst Windshield replaced in 15 years out here Expediting , so the lower premium paid (without road debris Windshield coverage) i think i am $$$$$ ahead.

Lucky you. Unfortunately (or maybe it's good), Massachusetts mandates full windshield replacement with $0 deductible.
On the politicizing the subject...
Are your costs so high cause you had your windshield replaced in Democrats state?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No insurance coverage?
I have to check but I'm pretty sure I paid $100 for my last windshield, Progressive picked up the rest.
1rst Windshield replaced in 15 years out here Expediting , so the lower premium paid (without road debris Windshield coverage) i think i am $$$$$ ahead . However an Accident or Vandalism to my van then all glass covered.
But i posted the receipt as a educational tool for any EO member, not to Become part of a Political Debate ...

That's pretty amazing ...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had a van in 2016 but was not ready to come back out. How are the rates doing for long and tall cargo vans? I'm gonna do it right this time with a full sleeper and air conditioner, golf cart batteries and permanently fixed generator with it's own fuel tank. I want a rolling palace in the front and keep the dirty warehouse stuff in the back.
How is $0.65 a mile sounds?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

That's not acceptable for a 45k cargo van. I figured rates were going back up due to the lack of capacity in the trucking sector. Also, Trump is now making a new arrangement with Mexico that a higher percentage of auto parts must be made in the USA. That can only help to provide us with more Laredo runs.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The only reason why I want to drive again is because I am semi-disabled from blood clots and working part time as a Janitor is very hard on me. I can handle sitting and driving much more than I can handle any other forms of work. So, for me, it's not a make big money kind of thing with driving a van, it's just about the only thing left that I can do with this beat up youngish/oldish body. Disability says I'm not banged up enough to qualify so I need to survive. I know there are a lot of vanners with disabilities out there forced into it and out of the big truck because of injuries.

Reactions: NorthernBill

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What's that got to do with expedite lol?

There's a photo attached to the previous reply.
It shows someone that has been away for a veeerrrryyyy long time.

I know how expedite works. I'm a battle hardened veteran lol. I'd have to have at least 85 cents per mile to make a come back worth my while. Is there are least that? If not, then it will be a used 6 year old low top cargo van with good fuel mileage and no fancy sleeper built in lol.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This house is like a prison cell. Time to bust loose again. Just waiting until my rescue cat passes on and I get all of my credit cards paid off and the limits increased. I got money saved up to pay van payments for a year if I do not buy one cash and good credit limits. My goal is 1200 a month after expenses and just survive until I become too disabled to even drive. That's it for me. I'm in a whole other league these days. In 2009 I did one way trips in a 1500 low top van and managed to save 10k working only part time. That was living here in Los Angeles too. I want to do the same and just get by for a while.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I know how expedite works. I'm a battle hardened veteran lol. I'd have to have at least 85 cents per mile to make a come back worth my while. Is there are least that? If not, then it will be a used 6 year old low top cargo van with good fuel mileage and no fancy sleeper built in lol.

I wasn't referring to your street cred .... your credit is still good here!
It was a welcome back, that's all.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.85 running as a unbranded van and paying your own 1,000,000. Cargo insurance, good luck .. It's possible, but most no-namers are doing .75 or less on loaded miles. The Gravy Train days are gone . I M O

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I wasn't referring to your street cred .... your credit is still good here!
It was a welcome back, that's all.

Oh, sorry Grizzly. I didn't know if you remembered me or not. Imma try and see if Turtle can get me access to my original name. It's just coming down to what I can do. I improved myself with the cleaning job. I went from being only able to stand up for 2 hours a day to 5 hours a day, but cannot do an 8 hour work day and cannot even do 5 hours of cleaning 7 days in a row. Right now I work 4 hours Sat 4 Sunday, and 5 hours on Monday and that pretty much takes everything I got. But every day when I go to work and drive on the freeway, I dream about not stopping and just driving back east lol. I literally force myself to function with meds and sheer grit. But I do have to give Donald Trump some credit. I did get my first real job in 2017 after he took office lol.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
.85 running as a unbranded van and paying your own 1,000,000. Cargo insurance, good luck .. It's possible, but most no-namers are doing .75 or less on loaded miles. The Gravy Train days are gone . I M O

I don't want to do that again nitetime. I actually want a gig like you have but I am truly not sure if I can handle those kind of miles anymore. I need like a 600 mile or 1000 mile run, or even a 1600 mile run; then a day or two to rest then do it again. I would prefer to work for 1 company that understands my medical limitations and works with me accordingly. I only worked for Charles in 2009. No multi-carriers at that time. So, I know it can be done. If I was stronger I'd hire a few hitman to take out key drivers at RR and clear out that waiting list for orientation and force my way in mafioso style lol/ J/K.

Reactions: VSprinter

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't want to do that again nitetime. I actually want a gig like you have but I am truly not sure if I can handle those kind of miles anymore. I need like a 600 mile or 1000 mile run, or even a 1600 mile run; then a day or two to rest then do it again. I would prefer to work for 1 company that understands my medical limitations and works with me accordingly. I only worked for Charles in 2009. No multi-carriers at that time. So, I know it can be done. If I was stronger I'd hire a few hitman to take out key drivers at RR and clear out that waiting list for orientation and force my way in mafioso style lol/ J/K.
Remember, some people 's dreams turn into nightmares...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No more unbranded vans. That's why I have the option to go used flat top van or new/used high top van this time. I want to do it right. I was almost out in 2016 with an older van and very little savings and no credit. I decided to hold off until I had good credit limits, cash reserves, and a reliable vehicle I can get a good interest rate on. I can do that now, but just waiting for my old rescue shelter cat to pass on. Then I can come back out. Will more than likely have a roommate in Nashville and pretty much say goodbye to CA for good.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Remember, some people 's dreams turn into nightmares...

I can make 600 a month working 12 hours a week now or make 600 in 1 night again. Hard to argue with those numbers.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yeah, so vans have multiplied exponentially over the past few years. Seriously, like jack rabbits!
A few contributing factors:
- relatively low entry cost, compared to a larger truck
- no additional licensing required
- boomers wanting to semi-retire and travel

ntimevan is right, in order to have a fighting chance it's best to sign on with a brand name. Those brand name are now requiring med cards, yep even for vans.

I wouldn't recommend coming into this segment to anybody.
You know your way around the room ... you'll figure it out.

Reactions: ntimevan

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Yeah, so vans have multiplied exponentially over the past few years. Seriously, like jack rabbits!

ntimevan is right, in order to have a fighting chance it's best to sign on with a brand name. Those brand name are now requiring med cards, yep even for vans.

I can pass a med card, but gave up my CDL. I was depressed and cut it loose before I figured out what the problem was. I now know why I was feeling so unwell after the clots and have the issue under control. As long as I keep my mouth shut all my numbers look good for everything and my meds do not affect driving. You can drive on blood thinners.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can make 600 a month working 12 hours a week now or make 600 in 1 night again. Hard to argue with those numbers.
To make $600. In 1 night after deductions and gas , means you had to start with a $1,200. Load ... so roughly a 1,500 mile run..

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I can pass a med card, but gave up my CDL. I was depressed and cut it loose before I figured out what the problem was. I now know why I was feeling so unwell after the clots and have the issue under control. As long as I keep my mouth shut all my numbers look good for everything and my meds do not affect driving. You can drive on blood thinners.

Oh, then by all means go for it.
Rates are down though .... like seriously. Boomers see expediting as a lifestyle rather than a business and don't have the financial pressure as some of us younger folks. They'll do the same loads, same miles .... for less.

Reactions: VSprinter

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To make $600. In 1 night after deductions and gas , means you had to start with a $1,200. Load ... so roughly a 1,500 mile run..

Actually I would prefer 1 load to Laredo and then wait however long and 1 load back and then a few small loads in between lol. Just enough to survive and not have to mop floors.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Baby boomers all have good retirements. They should enjoy themselves before they become too sick to do anything. Spending retirement years in a cargo van is not what I would do if I had a good pension.