Aerodynamic Truck

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It needs some teeth and a tongue.

Rolling_Stones_Classic_Tongue_Black_Babydoll2.jpg

OldGuy

Active Expediter
So, park at a body shop, drop 10,000$ for a slight hood modification and side skirts. . . I bet a lot of that fuel efficiency increase is also in the tune of the engine.

Shepherd777

Rookie Expediter
This truck has had a tremendous amount of work done to reach 13.4 mpg but taking even some of what they have done could lead to big money for the average O/O.

2012 AirFlow BulletTruck Prototype based on a 2003 Kenworth T2000 in Commercial Trucks | eBay Motors

Hello All -

I just found this thread, almost exactly a year to the day after the last reply.
I am the person who built the aerodynamic truck this thread is about.

We are in the process of designing and building new tractors "from scratch", as opposed to retrofitting a Kenworth T2000, as we did with the BulletTruck. We are definitely interested and looking forward to building an expedited 3 axle version for folks like you. So I would like to get some input from you folks as to your operations, and your "wish lists" of the perfect expedited 3 axle hyper-mileage hyper-aerodynamic truck.

What is your average GVW?

Does anyone run wide base tires?

Box length?

What is your preferred brand and model of diesel engine?

What horsepower?

What Peak Torque rating?

Do any expedited drivers ever drive 55 mph, or is the nature of your business strictly 65-70+ mph legs?

What is your cruise RPM?

What is your AVERAGE MPG now?

What is your general feeling about a true 21st. century hyper-mileage Expedited truck?

I'm sure there will be more questions and feedback upcoming throughout this thread if you folks are interested.

Thanks,
Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I knew I was gonna have to stay on my toes......."

http://www.airflowtruck.com

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I failed to see a photo of the truck, but would guess it's the same rig that was featured in Land Line a year or so ago.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Click on the button that says protype completed when you go to the link.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello All -

I just found this thread, almost exactly a year to the day after the last reply.
I am the person who built the aerodynamic truck this thread is about.

We are in the process of designing and building new tractors "from scratch", as opposed to retrofitting a Kenworth T2000, as we did with the BulletTruck. We are definitely interested and looking forward to building an expedited 3 axle version for folks like you. So I would like to get some input from you folks as to your operations, and your "wish lists" of the perfect expedited 3 axle hyper-mileage hyper-aerodynamic truck.

What is your average GVW?

Does anyone run wide base tires?

Box length?

What is your preferred brand and model of diesel engine?

What horsepower?

What Peak Torque rating?

Do any expedited drivers ever drive 55 mph, or is the nature of your business strictly 65-70+ mph legs?

What is your cruise RPM?

What is your AVERAGE MPG now?

What is your general feeling about a true 21st. century hyper-mileage Expedited truck?

I'm sure there will be more questions and feedback upcoming throughout this thread if you folks are interested.

Thanks,
Bob Sliwa
"Like a Midget at a Urinal, I knew I was gonna have to stay on my toes......."

Home Page

Just for your info my truck is as follows.

2006 M2112, MBE4000 450HP 3:58 rear end
Single drive axle with a lift axle
Temp controlled, under belly TCU
10SP Auto Shift
truck is 30,000lbs empty weight with full full tanks etc.

22ft box, 96" sleeper

Speed limited at 65. Average 10MPG

The biggest change I would make would be to go to two axle drive and a top mount TCU.

Does that help?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Below is a picture of the Airflow Bullet Truck that was in the OP's link.

Attachments

• Airflow Bullet Truck.jpg
    Airflow Bullet Truck.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 48

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The more things change...

Attachments

• Texaco Truck.jpg
    Texaco Truck.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 39

Shepherd777

Rookie Expediter
I failed to see a photo of the truck, but would guess it's the same rig that was featured in Land Line a year or so ago.

Hi Bill -

The new truck is very similar to the one on the web site at the page 2015 Concept Vehicle.

This pic is obviously a tractor trailer and not an Expediter rig. The gap between the tractor and tractor is dynamic, and it is shown in its deployed position. Above 35 mph, it automatically retracts to allow for articulation. The good news is you folks obviously don't need that feature.

2015 Model.jpg

2015 Concept Vehicle

I have some much better pics, but I cannot share them at this current time as we have not announced the primary Partner on the new truck yet. Everything takes longer than it should.

The rig that was featured in Land Line magazine was the BulletTruck. The BulletTruck was at MATS in 2012 as well as Line Line and other venues. That truck is the one we morphed/converted/retrofitted/tewaked from a T2000.

Like I said, the new trucks will be built "from scratch" as Volvo, Freightliner, KW, Pete and every their big OEM is still doing them like it was 1950.

Attachments

• 2015_model_web_ny1a.jpg
    2015_model_web_ny1a.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Shepherd777

Rookie Expediter
Just for your info my truck is as follows.

2006 M2112, MBE4000 450HP 3:58 rear end
Single drive axle with a lift axle
Temp controlled, under belly TCU
10SP Auto Shift
truck is 30,000lbs empty weight with full full tanks etc.

22ft box, 96" sleeper

Speed limited at 65. Average 10MPG

The biggest change I would make would be to go to two axle drive and a top mount TCU.

Does that help?

Hi Layoutshooter -

Yep, that helps, some. Do you have any pics of the rig that you can reply with?

3.58:1 is relatively low gear differential gearing.
What RPM's are you turning at your normal cruise of 65 MPH???

I personally don't like 10 speeds. The engine is out of its "sweet spot" a lot. I can elaborate if folks are interested.

Why two axle drive? Slippery conditions? If so, why not just computer controlled tag axle?

Why a top mount TCU? Please explain and add pics if possible.

Also, how many miles do Expediters average per week? Per year?

Last edited:

Shepherd777

Rookie Expediter
By The way, we expect right around 20 MPG with our new tractor trailer @ 65,000 GVW.

If you could get over the image of a "Macho" square truck, there is no reason an owner-operator of an Expediter rig could not get 25+ MPG with one of our new trucks.

If someone immediately thinks I am just a bull-shipper, I'm not. And I can explain everything I say. You can then decide if you want to buy a 10 MPG truck from Freightliner, Pete, KW, Volvo, etc. or something else.

We currently sell nothing. So I hope I am not breaching any forum rules.

What I am doing now is just market research. And the first question is: are owner-operators of Expediter rigs interested in buying a truly aerodynamic and hyper-mileage, hyper-fuel-efficient truck and not be bothered that it doesn't look like a "traditional" rig. I would love to sell thousands of 25+ MPG Expediter rigs to you guys and gals.

Plus, I love to help owner-operators save fuel. So if anyone wants to "pick my brain" I would be glad to offer suggestions to their operation. You guys should be able to get 15 MPG all day long, even with all of those square trucks.

Last edited: