Administrator Anne Ferro - Crash Responsibility

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Can you explain what TEANA is fighting for, exactly? :confused:

A system that continues to improve safety. But at the same time uses fact based science and not policy as its basis. A system that does not overly constrict the driver, carrier or the shipper in a way that is more regulation than a crash reduction benefit. We are all for CSA, just not the current methodology. The current methodology is based on political policy and not science. The FMCSA is not a legislative arm. It is to operate at the direction of congress. Instead it is attempting to create its own agenda and policy.

The link I posted is a good example of this flawed logic.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, its common sense. Looks good on paper but the ploiticians will screw it up.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have always been told you can get more with sugar then you can with vinegar.

I believe and our group believes the more she can hear from drivers and ask questions of drivers without getting "yelled" at the better she will hear us. I do not know of any other FMCSA official who has gone to such lengths to listen out here in the trenches.

I am not so certain she "heard" much at MATS this year.

I don't think people would yell at her or tell her to go f... herself but they are angry and confused that a person without proper qualifications and knowledge is in her position. She is a public servant making unreasonable and illegal decisions so she shouldn't be protected from the anger or truth and is only being held accountable for what she does.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I don't think people would yell at her or tell her to go f... herself but they are angry and confused that a person without proper qualifications and knowledge is in her position. She is a public servant making unreasonable and illegal decisions so she shouldn't be protected from the anger or truth and is only being held accountable for what she does.

Exactly Paul. She has no experience in the transportation industry yet dictates new laws to make us safer. That's just like a truck driver going in to a hospital and performing open heart surgery without prior experience or knowledge in that field. That operation would be botched just like regulations we face every day.

As I said before "what you say to this broad will go in one ear and out the other".

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
So I guess my question is this what are you guys doing to try and change these laws?

What do you suggest we do from this day forward to create change in our industry?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So I guess my question is this what are you guys doing to try and change these laws?

What do you suggest we do from this day forward to create change in our industry?

Do as Diane and I do. Add your voice and vote to those of other OOIDA members by joining OOIDA and adding your name to their membership roles. A lone voice and vote is one thing. An organized mass of voices and votes is quite another.

Then send additional money to OOIDA to help fund the lobbyist firm OOIDA has in Washington and the law suits OOIDA brings against the government. As an individual, continue to provide input through the channels that are available. That part may not help, as demonstrated by how FMCSA ignored such input in the past, but it won't hurt.

This is not a fully-effective strategy. If it was, the regulations would already be changed for the better. But it is a more effective strategy than working on your own or making symbolic but meaningless phone calls to the Administrator and promoting the FMCSA's sham listening sessions.

There is more Diane and I could do. We know the game. Diane worked as general counsel for Minnesota's governor for 3.75 years. Both of us have extensive experience as political activists. I poured over ten years of my life into changing public policy for the better with demonstrable success.

However, being effective at that level requires great personal sacrifice and an intense, ongoing, exhausting effort; an effort that we are no longer willing to give.

If you want to play with the big dogs, you have to run in the tall grass. The people in Washington are those who worked their way up to that level with years of activism at the local and state levels. They are exceptionally good at what they do. They are 100 percent committed. They have few outside interests, if any, and they never stop working except to sleep.

We ran in the tall grass for a while and no longer have the desire or energy to do so. That leaves us to support OOIDA and those who run in the tall grass on my behalf.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

One thing I do is simple and cheap, I am a member of OOIDA. I also talk to the general public about a lot of the regulations and explain all the taxes on us get passed on to them. I also mention that we lose Constitutional rights to become drivers. I just like to give them a quick overview so that they don't get bored and hope it is enough to make a change down the road.

The one thing that would have the most power is finding a way to get drivers working and communicating together. I think things have gone to far for OOIDA to change what is done unless the money and membership increases. I don't know if we need them to become a little more radical or have a new group step up and fill that roll, I lean towards the latter. I would like to see a group use some union style tactics like strikes when the federal government gets in the way or one that gets drivers to avoid driving in states when their DOT goes overboard so that they lose all the tax money. We need to be able to send a loud and clear message that hits them in the pocket and says "We're as mad as Hell, and we're not going to take this anymore!".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What I've done is continue my membership in OOIDA, submitted comments to FMCSA when able [as Moose pointed out, the lack of truck parking near sites selected for public comment pretty much leaves actual truck drivers out of the conversation, unless we can afford to park elsewhere and taxi to the location. Which isn't very likely in Washington DC.]
I've also tried to make the point whenever possible that the 2003 change of HOS has proven to have some unintended consequences that need addressed. Like making it virtually impossible for solo drivers to earn a living legally: without the ability to accommodate detention at the shipper by using the split sleeper to bump the 14 hr wall, we often can [or may] not make delivery within the 14 hour period.
The obvious solution is to force shippers [and consignees] to clean up their acts and stop detaining trucks at their docks for extended periods due to their lack of sufficient material, equipment, & personnel. Instead, the 'quick fix' is to require team driven trucks, and if it forces solo drivers and O/Os out of business, oh well, that's life in the big city, eh?
If there's a way to force FMCSA to address the problems with solutions that work for everyone, I haven't seen it yet, because we have told them over & over for years now, but THEY DON'T LISTEN TO US. Nor are they required to use fact, reason, or even common sense when creating regulations, and there's little we can do about it, because we lack the resources [meaning money] to force them to address our complaints.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am glad all of us our getting our voices heard!

All of the members of the Trucking Solutions Group are members of OOIDA and one member is on the board. OOIDA was on the call with the administrator and before we have these calls we have several representatives on a call from OOIDA to discuss what points we need to make. OOIDA has been very helpful to us and also very helpful to our members who have went to Washington to speak in person with representatives and also to testify.

There is a new group that has been around for a long time that is making strides in this arena. I posted a email I received from Joe R. and included where he is now employed. Joe will be at GATS to talk to O/O and drivers about his new position and where he plans on taking the organization.

moose

Veteran Expediter
MY trailor speaks for itself & you know what?, it worked. one day I'll might have a fleet of those. why don't you give away your pretty re-branding stickers for a wrapped over truck ? you'ed be amassed how cheap it is, just go to transportgraphics.com in Rogers Minnesota.(& by YOU i don't (only) mean YOU you, i meant YOU who reads this lines.)

you might needs a new blood in your Li'l group there, like... hmmm... i don't know...Maybe someone's that speaks funny ?...

moose

Veteran Expediter
MY trailor speaks for itself & you know what?, it worked. one day I'll might have a fleet of those. why don't you give away your pretty re-branding stickers for a wrapped over truck ? you'ed be amassed how cheap it is, just go to transportgraphics.com in Rogers Minnesota.(& by YOU i don't (only) mean YOU you, i meant YOU who reads this lines.)

you might needs a new blood in your Li'l group there, like... hmmm... i don't know...Maybe someone's that speaks funny ?...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am glad all of us our getting our voices heard!

You have not been listening. Several people respond to you in this thread and complain bitterly that they are not being heard, that their input is being ignored; and you come back and say "I'm glad all of us are getting our voices heard?"

Well, OK, let's go with that. We are speaking out and for the purposes of discussion, we'll agree with you that we are being heard.

Notice the difference between being heard and producing real change. Notice the difference between making noise and making a difference.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When someone asks for feedback/input/opinions, and proceeds to ignore them completely, it suggests the request was just for appearances' sake - window dressing to hide the not so pretty reality behind it.
It'll be interesting to see where Ms Ferro's career goes after she leaves the FMCSA......

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
She will become a consultant like her predecessors or maybe a lobbyist.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When someone asks for feedback/input/opinions, and proceeds to ignore them completely, it suggests the request was just for appearances' sake - window dressing to hide the not so pretty reality behind it.
It'll be interesting to see where Ms Ferro's career goes after she leaves the FMCSA......

Could be a prime candidate for president! She would fit right in taking input for the health care system. JUST THINK! The SAME people that run the FMCSA, the executive branch, are NOW making YOUR health care law! Have FUN! :p Any bets that agency will be run with the same? Just a expensive and unresponsive? I have NO doubt!