Administrator Anne Ferro - Crash Responsibility

moose

Veteran Expediter
Too little , too late , worthless , won't work , un-fault crash will still show/score ,
will ends up in court. soon.
thanks for the link, (now B'out that other link...)
good morning!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Too little , too late , worthless , won't work , un-fault crash will still show/score ,
good morning!

I agree. The caveat is meaningless and perhaps even more harmful than not having it. It takes some pressure off the FMCSA without changing how the unfair scoring system is designed and use. Posting that caveat is a cowardly and underhanded act by the FMCSA in my opinion.

Good administrators would do the right thing and either eliminate this BASIC altogether or use it in a way that is fair and reliable. If there is difficulty in gathering crash responsibility statistics as the FMCSA claims, the indicator should not be used at all. The negative consequences to truckers and carriers are too great while the so-called safety groups get to trumpet the numbers with impunity to them.

It is bogus -- absolutely bogus -- to suggest that because a truck is involved in a crash that was not its fault, the same truck is more likely to be involved in a crash again. Trucks get in crashes because they are on the road all the time and cars hit them a lot; not because the trucker causes the crash most of the time. Four-wheelers cause the crash most of the time.

Throw that BASIC out! It promotes a lie and serves no public purpose.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
FMCSA appears to be practicing the same approach to unhappy constituents that politicians have found so effective: keep producing new subjects for contention, and they give up arguing on the earlier ones.
[Drivers are still contending with the loss of the split sleeper provision that makes us more fatigued & less safe, but the 'conversation' has moved on.]
FMCSA creates more problems than it solves.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FMCSA appears to be practicing the same approach to unhappy constituents that politicians have found so effective: keep producing new subjects for contention, and they give up arguing on the earlier ones.
[Drivers are still contending with the loss of the split sleeper provision that makes us more fatigued & less safe, but the 'conversation' has moved on.]
FMCSA creates more problems than it solves.

Of course the FMCSA creates more problems that it solves, it is part of government. Our government is not the solution of our problems, it is the cause.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
good morning!

Behave Moose.... :)

I am glad we had Administrator Ferro on our call to ask drivers questions and for us to voice our opinion as well as the opinions of other drivers and company officials.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Linder, I'd be glad of it too, if I thought it'd get the drivers' concerns across [the carriers can afford lobbyists and lawsuits to get her attention], but so far, Ms Ferro has disregarded the drivers.
I just don't feel optimistic about someone who cites an accident in support of a new law [banning handheld cellphones for commercial drivers] that provides zero support for her assertions, and a great deal against it. Ms Ferro doesn't seem to be dealing with facts, IMO.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Behave Moose.... :)

I am glad we had Administrator Ferro on our call to ask drivers questions and for us to voice our opinion as well as the opinions of other drivers and company officials.

If that were true it would have been a good thing but you know as well as everyone else that saw the information about that call that there was no interest in getting the driver's opinion. I can't believe people felt there was a need to baby her and protect her from the truth and real opinions. She is our servant and needs to be put in her place along with all the other politicians and administrators.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have always been told you can get more with sugar then you can with vinegar.

I believe and our group believes the more she can hear from drivers and ask questions of drivers without getting "yelled" at the better she will hear us. I do not know of any other FMCSA official who has gone to such lengths to listen out here in the trenches.

I am not so certain she "heard" much at MATS this year.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I applaud your patience, but those of us who were logging prior to the HOS change of 03 have been telling them that it isn't working, but they're not hearing us. I didn't get to MATS last year, but I did submit comments on the FMCSA's website requesting them, twice, and I put a lot of effort into making my comments clear and concise and convincing. I did not 'yell' at anyone, because it wouldn't look professional, and I wanted it to count.
I can understand why drivers are losing patience after nearly 9 years of being forced to drive 11 hrs straight, participate in major city rush hour traffic, and be unable to park for a break to recharge our 'batteries', as we used to. It's just inconceivable that anyone could see it as an improvement, IMO, but Ms Ferro continues to pretend she does.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
HOS are extremely hard to understand if you haven't lived them.
Most LEOs could be easily confused in the pre- laptop days.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
ASECTT challenges

This is the real bottom line. They new system has great intentions but is fundamentally flawed. TEANA was a founding member of ASECTT and we have fought the FMCSA on CSA. Not because we are against it, but because we want it done right. If the goal is to reduce crashes and improve safety, the program has to be designed to do just that. I am extremely proud to be the President of TEANA and leading the fight on behalf of the expedite community. Thank you to all of you that run for TEANA member companies. Those that don't......you need to ask the front office why they are not part of TEANA.

moose

Veteran Expediter
with some luck i will have someone hit my truck so i can take the administrator to court.
please follow my July location posts to know where i legally parked and HIT it st8 on.
please...make my day.
now that's a well behaved moose for you!.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter

I believe and our group believes the more she can hear from drivers and ask questions of drivers without getting "yelled" at the better she will hear us. I do not know of any other FMCSA official who has gone to such lengths to listen out here in the trenches.

I am not so certain she "heard" much at MATS this year.

Linda, i have to dissagree with you. this administrator publicly and offichaly IGNORED ANY comments made by truckers.
name one time when a changed took place as a result of professional drivers input.
here are only a few...VERY few example of ignorance by the administrator.
on the MATS floor I publicly told her to do listening sessions in places where trucks can park.
within the next month FMCSA had 2 listening session in places beyond the reach of truckers. 2 of which where not planed ahead of time. that ignorance.
when faced with the request for flexibility in HOS, she publically rejected the idea.(as heared on the D.Nemo show).
what she dose do best, is gather all kind of self interests groups to advise her on everything from drivers health to sleep apnea, EOBR, limiters, Mexican trucks, new technology, and the list is long.
in NONE of those so called 'professional advisory group' will you find a professional small business owner trucker at any rate to reflect our industry.
sorry, but if there's one thing Anne Ferro is doing very well is ignore truckers input.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ASECTT challenges

This is the real bottom line. They new system has great intentions but is fundamentally flawed. TEANA was a founding member of ASECTT and we have fought the FMCSA on CSA. Not because we are against it, but because we want it done right. If the goal is to reduce crashes and improve safety, the program has to be designed to do just that.

Exactly. Case in point: prior to the change in 03, I could park my truck for a 2 hr break instead of battling rush hour in Chicago, Atlanta, etc. and enjoy a proper meal & a nap before returning to the road, recharged and ready to deal with it. The break didn't cost much in lost time, and it saved both fuel and my sanity [being unable to maintain ANY safe following distance makes me a nervous wreck], which made me a much safer driver. Drivers have been pointing out the actual results for nine years, but with OOIDA being the only organization on our side, FMCSA pays no attention. [As Moose correctly stated.]

I am extremely proud to be the President of TEANA and leading the fight on behalf of the expedite community. Thank you to all of you that run for TEANA member companies. Those that don't......you need to ask the front office why they are not part of TEANA.

Can you explain what TEANA is fighting for, exactly? :confused:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

If I was in Administrator Ferro's shoes, I would be equally glad to have someone like you on the other end of the call.

When a government official has a public policy agenda to push through and there will be opposition from truckers, political cover can be gained by stroking the egos of truckers by making him or herself available to them on calls like yours. It can later be claimed and truckers like you can be quoted to demonstrate that truckers really were consulted and listened to, and their input was very much appreciated, and their views are very important ... blah, blah, blah; all while the agenda was long ago crafted in back rooms by politically powerful people and professional lobbyists who will benefit from its implementation.

You're being played, Linda, and you don't even know it.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The driver comments to the FMCSA is equlivent to the teachers voice on the peanuts cartoons that trumpet sound with no words.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

That's true if you are trying to attract flies. But if you are trying to influence public policy, it's about money and power. And the closer you get to the rooms where the rules are written, the more important money and power becomes.

The following is a true story that illustrates my point.

In 1998, I became a speaker on the political circuit because of the pioneering internet work I did that helped elect Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura (see my bio for details). One of the speaking engagements was at Harvard University where I was a pannelist, seated with a few others in front of a room filled with professional campaign workers, lobbyists, congressional staffers and activists of various stripes; or as some of them called themselves, capitol rats and political operators.

Use of the internet in campaigns was new back then and one of the things we did in the Ventura campaign was post his public policy views. People in the audience questioned this. They were concerned that if you put your candidate on record, his or her words can be used against you later on. I responded that if you had a candidate who actually believed what he said, that would not be a problem because he or she would always be consistent.

What happened next surprised me and broke my heart. A spontanious debate broke out on the floor about the value of truth telling by people who hold public office. Some thought it might be a good idea, others did not. But for almost every one of these political operators who worked in Washington and various state capitols, truth telling was at best an option to be considered like any other part of a campaign plan. Truth telling, if it was good at all, was good only to the extent it could help their guy or gal get elected (or appointed) and acquire more power and influence when seated.

When a naive honey believer like you is present with people like that, they have long ago developed the skills to win you over. They stroke your ego. They make you feel important. They use well rehearsed phrases that makes it seem you are listened to and that you matter. They leave you feeling really special and then go on to do what they had planned all along.

How do you fight people like this? You use the same weapons they do; money and power. That is why I support OOIDA as a lifetime member and send in extra contributions to OOIDA's PAC and litigation funds.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Democrat, Commie Liberal, Left Wing
Republican, Quasey Conservative, Right Wing.
Both wings of the same bird of prey.