A tragic event ....

Monty

Expert Expediter
From the management, and administrators, of RoadGorilla and OnTimeMedia, prayers are offered for the parents and familes of the victims of the Newtown, Ct school shooting.

And may God have mercy on the shooter, and bless his family as they try to deal with this also.

As for me ..... well, let's not go there, because my personal feelings at this moment are complete rage at this wanton act of violence.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The problem with murder-suicide scenarios like this is the --------- start at the wrong end of the equation.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think we should wait for the facts before we say someone should be dead or in Hell.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
I think we should wait for the facts before we say someone should be dead or in Hell.

He shot and killed children. You don't need any other facts!

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Monty

Expert Expediter
And now it is reported it was not Ryan Lanza, but instead his brother ...... which is why facts should be certain, before conclusions are drawn.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's no need to wait for anything. One can instantly say the shooter should be dead, hopefully very slowly and very painfully. Now, there is every need to wait until there is absolute irrefutable proof of who the shooter is before initiating the slow painful death so justly deserved.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There's no need to wait for anything. One can instantly say the shooter should be dead, hopefully very slowly and very painfully. Now, there is every need to wait until there is absolute irrefutable proof of who the shooter is before initiating the slow painful death so justly deserved.

My initial reaction is anger but until we know who did it and why I feel we shouldn't say a certain person belongs in Hell. They have already changed who they say the shooter was and we still don't know why yet. It could be a serious mental disease that his parents didn't take care of. I will reserve my feelings until we have confirmed facts rather than unconfirmed reports from anonymous sources being fed to us by the media, a group of people less trustworthy than politicians.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Exactly why I didn't say John Doe or James Doe or Joseph Doe but said the shooter. Once there is irrefutable proof at a DNA equivalent proof level then I'll willingly name who deserves to be punished. For now, regardless of who specifically it is, the shooter deserves to be punished.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I can't say he did the right thin oh yea he killed himself so I guess maybe he did the right thing. I'm not into gun don't own any never will I've been shot at 3 times in a year while doing my other profession ,after the first time I invested in Kevlar vest for my entire crew of 12 , my self an my 3 tour drivers. .3 times is 3 too many thank god most thugs can't aim , but still allergic to lead
I should have said been in the proximity of 3 shootings close enuff

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely sick and twisted ... largely due to the rather obvious delight you take in contemplating the commission of yet more violence ...

10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? 12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. 13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Whatever other warped, sick desires cause someone to kill innocent people, I believe the idea of notoriety [even posthumous!] plays some part in their planning. The media should refuse to cooperate - simply identify the guilty party [or suspect] as an anonymous individual afflicted by mental illness. No name given, period - the recognition is more than they deserve from society.
It would also spare the shooter's family a great deal of abuse that they don't deserve, in all likelihood.
All the attention given to the shooter is entirely misplaced, IMO. I don't care who the degenerate is! Let the authorities take care of him/her/them, while we do whatever can be done for the victims and their families, instead.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever other warped, sick desires cause someone to kill innocent people, I believe the idea of notoriety [even posthumous!] plays some part in their planning. The media should refuse to cooperate - simply identify the guilty party [or suspect] as an anonymous individual afflicted by mental illness. No name given, period - the recognition is more than they deserve from society.
I was going to start a thread in the Soap Box about this very subject so as to not deviate from the original topic, but... I agree with you that some of these sickos are partially driven by the notoriety they gain from the media. Kinda of Guinness Book mentality. Unfortunately the media thrives on these tragedies. NBC had extended coverage of "The Sandy Hook Tragedy", of course they need a title for their special coverage. Brian Williams was on the air for an hour, pre-empting local news, which was more of the same and Lester will be on later with a special edition of Nightline. Report the event, update us at 11:00, follow up tomorrow with a brief update and in the meantime, leave these poor people alone!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not surprised the media makes it such an obsession, news being far more cost effective than entertainment, I'm just surprised that people go along, wanting ALL the gruesome details.
Like rubberneckers - they deserve to have nightmares, IMO.
But the killer's family doesn't deserve the notoriety, hatred, death threats, etc, that the media exposes them to in their ill considered 'coverage'. Even people who are unfortunate enough to have the same surname as a killer have been targeted by vigilantes - it's just crazy!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Report the event, update us at 11:00, follow up tomorrow with a brief update and in the meantime, leave these poor people alone!

But if they show respect to the victims and their families they wouldn't be able to be "On The Scene" trampling through some kids blood.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is only by the grace of God that you've never heard my family mentioned in a deal like this. One reason I'm not quick to blame the family of the murderer in any way is because of some personal experience in this type of thing.

My brother, in his younger years, was always talking of killing people and breaking things in his rage. He didn't much care who he hurt, either. If he had ever gotten a gun you might very well have been reading of him slaying some person or another for no apparent reason, just that person was unlucky enough to cross his path. He did leave the house with a knife the last time he stormed out, but fortunately he cooled down before using it. Shortly after that he found himself in the nursing-home system where he has been since. A couple of years back he had a stroke and that has effectively pulled his fangs. The condition he's in now leaves him barely able to walk, much less hurt anybody.

As a family member, I have experience trying to talk with professionals who saw him over the years. They really don't listen, you know. It's a terrible thing to know your brother is like this, to try to talk to the professional who is going to let him out after only three days of care when he went in spouting rage and murder, and you know good and well that three days hasn't even scratched the surface. But what do I know? I'm only a relative, and the doctor has degrees from such and so university!

So--- a story like this comes up, and we blame the relatives who may have been as much a victim-- this time the perp killed his mother, too-- as anybody, unable to convince the powers-that-be that there is a serious problem. Until something like this happens.

A note: If someone talks of fishing a lot, buys books about fishing, loads up on fishing equipment and so on--- why would ANYBODY be surprised if the person brings home a stringerload of bluegills??? So it was with my brother--- his talk was consistently of murder and mayhem, he even got books and had a huge knife at one time, but if he ever carried out his threats the community would have been SHOCKED that a person who gave so much warning could actually do it. My advice: If someone is talking murder and mayhem, maybe someone should listen.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It is only by the grace of God that you've never heard my family mentioned in a deal like this. One reason I'm not quick to blame the family of the murderer in any way is because of some personal experience in this type of thing.

My brother, in his younger years, was always talking of killing people and breaking things in his rage. He didn't much care who he hurt, either. If he had ever gotten a gun you might very well have been reading of him slaying some person or another for no apparent reason, just that person was unlucky enough to cross his path. He did leave the house with a knife the last time he stormed out, but fortunately he cooled down before using it. Shortly after that he found himself in the nursing-home system where he has been since. A couple of years back he had a stroke and that has effectively pulled his fangs. The condition he's in now leaves him barely able to walk, much less hurt anybody.

As a family member, I have experience trying to talk with professionals who saw him over the years. They really don't listen, you know. It's a terrible thing to know your brother is like this, to try to talk to the professional who is going to let him out after only three days of care when he went in spouting rage and murder, and you know good and well that three days hasn't even scratched the surface. But what do I know? I'm only a relative, and the doctor has degrees from such and so university!

So--- a story like this comes up, and we blame the relatives who may have been as much a victim-- this time the perp killed his mother, too-- as anybody, unable to convince the powers-that-be that there is a serious problem. Until something like this happens.

A note: If someone talks of fishing a lot, buys books about fishing, loads up on fishing equipment and so on--- why would ANYBODY be surprised if the person brings home a stringerload of bluegills??? So it was with my brother--- his talk was consistently of murder and mayhem, he even got books and had a huge knife at one time, but if he ever carried out his threats the community would have been SHOCKED that a person who gave so much warning could actually do it. My advice: If someone is talking murder and mayhem, maybe someone should listen.

Thanks for sharing.. brings up a good point everyone is missing...they are screaming for more gun control...people like this guy yesterday..and your brother have mental issues that go untreated....alot of mental funding has been slashed over the years...more programs to deal with mentally ill sure wouldnt hurt...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for sharing.. brings up a good point everyone is missing...they are screaming for more gun control...people like this guy yesterday..and your brother have mental issues that go untreated....alot of mental funding has been slashed over the years...more programs to deal with mentally ill sure wouldnt hurt...

I certainly didn't miss that point - but in this time of budget disasters, 'people services' are hardly a welcome topic. The programs to deal with mental illness and substance abuse were among the first to go under the axe, long ago, and the political climate sure isn't offering hope of restoring them any time soon.
The elected morons want to ban the weapons [symptoms] because it's the easiest thing for them to do.
In China, they use knives and baseball bats.....

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch