A quick "tech" related question

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Recently had a request from dispatcher to send a needed document to me via fax or email. I wasn't anywhere near a fax machine, and have no provision in the truck to print out an attachment to an email. It set me wondering what other drivers do or have in this regard.

Do you have the ability to print out faxes, documents, or emails in your truck? What do you use for this if you do?

At one time we had a compact printer that we carried, but it seemed unable to cope with the abuse of the road and gave up the ghost quickly. If there's a dependable option available I'd love to consider it again.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My Canon printer/copier/scanner holds up very well, and if it didn't, they're not real expensive to replace, IMO.
I seldom need to fax, but always grab Pilot's Challenge magazine and clip the free fax coupon, just in case.
There are sheet fed scanners available [I have a Travelscan] that are no larger than a roll of Saran wrap, with which you can scan, send to your computer, and attach to an email, if that'll work.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
There are many decent small printers today that could go into a truck, but if you must pay the truck stops for an emergency document, I try and find a KINKOS, or FED EX or UPS store, its cheaper and you get better quality documents, if you have a smart phone you can get a PDF Document then plug the smartphone into your Laptop or direct to the printer and make the document.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner in the truck. I can scan and e-mail anything, and print out anything I need, including making copies of the paperwork if the consignee needs one and I don't already have copies for them.

When someone wants to fax me something, I have them scan and e-mail it to me. Faxing is sooo 90s.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What Turtle said...

Every couple of years I buy a new printer. It will still be working, but after a couple of years it just gets kinda beat up. A few weeks ago the guy that unloaded me needed a copy of the BOL as I only had one, but it was 0dark30 in the morning and the office was locked. I told him I'd make a copy and he seemed very surprised I could do that. Dude, it's the 21st century!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use a "Neat Receipts" scanner and a very small travel printer. Between the two we can handle 99% of what we need to do.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree with Turtle.... We have had the same printer/scanner in the truck for over seven years with no problems. We do not send or receive faxes we get or send emails. We have saved ourselves many miles with our ability to print what we need in the truck. We have had customers say they would have to go back to their office to print something for us and I say "here let me that for you.." saves time and money and we are back on the road.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I am probably a tad bit more high tech than most here because my second job is computer networks and computer repairs.

I can scan, print, copy, fax, teleconference and more from the front seat of my truck. Yes. My van has a fax number ;) There are many ways to send and receive faxes on the net that are free or near free.

I recently bought a brother MFC-J430W from Staples. I think they are still on sale for 70 bucks. Great printer, it holds the paper inside of it so it's not hanging out of the printer where it can flop around. It also has a sheet feed and flatbed scanner. It is wireless but I use the USB port (no router/access point in my truck) and best of all.. I can get ink off amazon for about a buck a cartridge.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wallmart sells H.P. all in one units abbout 50 bucks 40 bucks maby cheaper for basic print only easy to use and got almost four years out of my print only surviving the shake and bake in a strait truck. The only reason I had to replace it is because the usb port snapped off and I got too heavy handed trying to fix it. Electrontcs repair tip dont use a 12 1/2 tripple E work boot to open it up it dosen't work out too well.
Any way, buy them at a reasonable price, take care of them and they will work.