Owner/Operator
That word is overused these days.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That word is overused these days.

One of the most overused words these days. Monitoring you TCU while under load is a required part of being in the temp contol business. That driver upheld his responsibility.

We have carried that product in the past. Nasty stuff. NOT the worse stuff we have had on the truck, but getting up there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have carried that product in the past. Nasty stuff.
How nasty is it? The news clip seemed to contain a lot of hype and not much fact. It was mentioned that a 50° liquified peroxide becomes flammable. Is that 50° Fahrenheit or Celsius? Gasoline is flammable at room temperature. It was also mentioned that it had a potential to be explosive. Is the stuff really that unstable?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How nasty is it? The news clip seemed to contain a lot of hype and not much fact. It was mentioned that a 50° liquified peroxide becomes flammable. Is that 50° Fahrenheit or Celsius? Gasoline is flammable at room temperature. It was also mentioned that it had a potential to be explosive. Is the stuff really that unstable?

Gasoline does not generate it's own heat, organic peroxides do. 50F if I remember correctly. We have not carried it for several years. I also believe that there are different temps for each product.

Organic peroxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
No doubt a carrier refer also... Oh boy...

And it is 50f. It's very unstable. FDCC usually gets either the truck to a place that dry ice is available or gets the dry ice to the truck ASAP. Not sure why they didn't in this case.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I would not say 'hero', but the driver should be commended for keeping his cool and following procedures to keep the public safe.

I would say thank God it wasn't some 'new' WG who tried to drive faster to get it thru the area or something stupid.

When I was there, I know there was a fuss about a couple contract drivers getting put into a WG truck who didn't even know how to turn on their reefer. Another FedEx driver had to show one.

Can you imagine one of those?

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Yes, it is, Moot. At least if it was the same stuff we hauled and by the looks of the report, it was. If I remember right, it was placarded 5.3.

EDIT: Correction. It is Organic Peroxide 5.2.

Diane and I hauled several of those loads without incident. But had the reefer failed under load, the same thing would have happened. We would have parked the truck, got out and moved a safe distance away. The other option, to protect the truck, would have been to dump the load to protect the truck before the temp reached the load's flash point. Fortunately the reefer always worked and all such loads were safely delivered.

I agree with the others. The driver is not a hero, but he is a professional. He kept his wits about him and did all the right things.

Safety Aspects of Organic Peroxides

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think it was Babe Ruth who said something about being portrayed as either a hero or a bum - no in between. Apparently truck drivers are like that too, to some people. :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FDCC drivers HAVE to BY LAW, attend "Blow and Glow" classes every so often. Mrs. Layoutshooter and I just completed, and passed, such a class on Friday.

FedEx makes sure that we know what we should do in such cases. We are grateful for that training.

Yes, it's boring. Yes, it's repetitive. This episode proves it pays off.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FDCC drivers HAVE to BY LAW, attend "Blow and Glow" classes every so often. Mrs. Layoutshooter and I just completed, and passed, such a class on Friday.

FedEx makes sure that we know what we should do in such cases. We are grateful for that training.

Yes, it's boring. Yes, it's repetitive. This episode proves it pays off.

:eek:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i carried hazmat i alway read safety data sheet to see what was what
and how far to run if something happen

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
when i carried hazmat i alway read safety data sheet to see what was what
and how far to run if something happen
faPDYF5.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Anyone else notice how the hero was never identified? The first responders got face time on the news, with their name scrolling below, but the driver who "should be applauded"? Anonymous.