.65 to .75 cents per mile

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I really don't have a problem with someone working out of their home, even a logistics company. As long as they don't try and bill themselves as something they're not, as something much bigger than they are. A broker working out of their home is fine too, as long as they don't pretend to be something else. I mean, working out of your home can be financially very smart.

Fowlkes bills themselves as an emergency international freight carrier with a top notch fleet of trucks, but they're just a multi-carrier broker. That's it.

Reactions: John Clark 46

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really don't have a problem with someone working out of their home, even a logistics company. As long as they don't try and bill themselves as something they're not, as something much bigger than they are. A broker working out of their home is fine too, as long as they don't pretend to be something else. I mean, working out of your home can be financially very smart.

Fowlkes bills themselves as an emergency international freight carrier with a top notch fleet of trucks, but they're just a multi-carrier broker. That's it.
Ok. Let me take this 1 step further because I have a HUGE problem with deception and making yourself out to be nothing of the sort.

Here's one reason. One of the reasons I retired from the industry is because mentally I was tired from the horror stories I was swamped with from people I could and could not help.

I was already committed 24/7/365. It's in my blood it's just who I am. Ok enough about me let's turn to the real victims. The new guys and gals on the block.

For example and I will do my best to be fast, but lets sat someone leaves ABC company as a driver and opens their doors thinking they are able to be the next best know it all and they deceive the new guys on who they are and the new guy buys into the offer and the domino affect starts. And we all know where I am headed with that.

This happens daily. I heard every story out their because I was the one who over saw the hiring process and with my open door policy I spent hours at times speaking with people and listening to their horror stories and doing everything in my capabilities to help and educate and let them vent.

So of course I want to ask the question where the hell is the regulations for these ass clowns because more good honest working men and women have lost everything and the hard working carriers ultimately lose the opportunity to hire quality people and afford them a good honest living .

But who wants big brother probing their every move? So it goes back to education. But the education should come prior to entering the industry. Almost like a newbie should receive a certificate before they can be hired.

Not a certificate that means anything more than they have a understanding of what exactly they are getting not only themselves into but their families.

Someone needs to be elected to educate and protect our own interest because as drivers, owner operators, honest hard working owners and their entire staff under the company flag are affected by these small independents running rogue and causing havoc all over the industry.

At the end of the day we all have the same goal, to be successful in our careers, to work together as professional expeditors in our industry, and protect not only our fellow expeditors and companies we are employed with, but our accounts and contracts as well.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We'll, there's your calling.
These newbies need a place to turn.
They start out, before they should, and have nobody to turn to.
As often as there is good advice on EO, there is bad advice. I used to read it everyday.
Sometimes, if you're not a regular, you get ignored. Or don't understand the sarcasm we old timers used to humor ourselves.
Although I agree you should work for a fleet owner before spending your money I am glad I haven't read lately that it's not just a job, it's a business.
BULLCRAP !
When you drive for an owner and have no investment in an asset, you aren't building a business. You may be learning a business, but all you are is an underpaid flunky, being taken advantage of , most times, by some greedy owner.
Once you layout your money, then you have a busiiness.
Unless you know someone in the business there is no good way to separate the good from the bad.
John, maybe you can figure out a rating system.

Reactions: John Clark 46

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok. Let me take this 1 step further because I have a HUGE problem with deception and making yourself out to be nothing of the sort.

Here's one reason. One of the reasons I retired from the industry is because mentally I was tired from the horror stories I was swamped with from people I could and could not help.

I was already committed 24/7/365. It's in my blood it's just who I am. Ok enough about me let's turn to the real victims. The new guys and gals on the block.

For example and I will do my best to be fast, but lets sat someone leaves ABC company as a driver and opens their doors thinking they are able to be the next best know it all and they deceive the new guys on who they are and the new guy buys into the offer and the domino affect starts. And we all know where I am headed with that.

This happens daily. I heard every story out their because I was the one who over saw the hiring process and with my open door policy I spent hours at times speaking with people and listening to their horror stories and doing everything in my capabilities to help and educate and let them vent.

So of course I want to ask the question where the hell is the regulations for these ass clowns because more good honest working men and women have lost everything and the hard working carriers ultimately lose the opportunity to hire quality people and afford them a good honest living .

But who wants big brother probing their every move? So it goes back to education. But the education should come prior to entering the industry. Almost like a newbie should receive a certificate before they can be hired.

Not a certificate that means anything more than they have a understanding of what exactly they are getting not only themselves into but their families.

Someone needs to be elected to educate and protect our own interest because as drivers, owner operators, honest hard working owners and their entire staff under the company flag are affected by these small independents running rogue and causing havoc all over the industry.

At the end of the day we all have the same goal, to be successful in our careers, to work together as professional expeditors in our industry, and protect not only our fellow expeditors and companies we are employed with, but our accounts and contracts as well.
How about instead of talking about that dreaded word regulation we talk about education, organization, and cooperation.

And what I mean by these 3 important words is come together as one from carriers, to dealerships, truck stops, repair shops and etc. Fly a unity flag that everyone involved in this non profit program supports education. I don't want to stop anyone from buying a truck from a dealer. Just simply let the rookies coming aboard that their are options and educational resources available. I know we have seminars in place and they are wonderful. Let's add more to the program.

Their is a certification for every other aspect of the industry. Smartway,CSA, and on and on. Why not one that supports education and awareness to new entrants into our industry. This would cause a level of awareness and it would attract more membership to this forum, in a sense it would just be a positive impact on the industry on some level. And any positive influence is a positive step in all our best interests.

It will tell these independents that are doing the wrong thing that we see them and we are taking a stand and we will not tolerate them ruining 1 more family or compromise another fellow expeditor again. Of course this is all just a thought but it would be nice to see organization before regulation.

Just a thought. Lol

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I totally agree with you.
You can't talk regulation because you thrive in a lack of regulation.

The problem with your thoughts is if someone legit doesn't get it going, soon, someone with the wrong intentions may start a for profit mentoring program that will only benefit the wrong people.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
We'll, there's your calling.
These newbies need a place to turn.
They start out, before they should, and have nobody to turn to.
As often as there is good advice on EO, there is bad advice. I used to read it everyday.
Sometimes, if you're not a regular, you get ignored. Or don't understand the sarcasm we old timers used to humor ourselves.
Although I agree you should work for a fleet owner before spending your money I am glad I haven't read lately that it's not just a job, it's a business.
BULLCRAP !
When you drive for an owner and have no investment in an asset, you aren't building a business. You may be learning a business, but all you are is an underpaid flunky, being taken advantage of , most times, by some greedy owner.
Once you layout your money, then you have a busiiness.
Unless you know someone in the business there is no good way to separate the good from the bad.
John, maybe you can figure out a rating system.
As much as I appreciate your comment it takes a team of top brass to make changes. It's a united front . A panel of a mixed group of vetran drivers, owners , and others to form something that is this important of a issue even having a rookies advice is just as important. You have to manage this issue from all angles

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
it wouldn't matter what I did when working at where I did, problem is people who work cheap, make it hard for rest of us
you want my skill's you have to pay for them. People sale themselves short, I refuse to do that
I did hot shot loads they were at 2.20 a mile as they need pick up and ran to Atlanta, GA to airport
upstate New York, same rate, that was all miles load and empty , also on both of those runs I could have asked for more and got it. if the load was not there on time, they were going to fined, $1,000 a hour , if they missed dead line. when they are desperate that cost more.
also don't for get extra things , military base, mall's , inside pick up and del, hand load and unload, d time, haz mat load, lift gate, white glove services, off of loading dock,
I have done line haul, hot shot, local p and d , regional , dedicate
and looking back at 25 year's of running for Roberts Express/ FedEx cc/ Ceva, have made all miles empty and loaded 1.00 mile
plus this is not all I did while on the road, sold new and used truck's, lap tops , pc's, mary kay , pro heat genset ,
mason shoes. had and still consult business, on how to build, van's and truck's, and few other thing's to.
if you buy from me I don't charge , but if you ask for my help on building a unit charge $50.00 hour for advice
had to have something to do while waiting for next load. other people did other, that made them money on the road

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
John,Agreed.
We need someone with time, knowledge, and contacts to bring it all together.

Also, could a handicap system be put together to rank the top 50 or 100 carriers ?
A rookie shouldn't have to look at too many options.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter

The problem with your thoughts is if someone legit doesn't get it going, soon, someone with the wrong intentions may start a for profit mentoring program that will only benefit the wrong people.
This is above my pay grade. Tell commissioner Gordon to light the Bat signal over the city and get John Elliot to weigh in on this.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo, I don't argue that you made money in the past.
Just stating you wouldn't get out of bed for under $1.75 per mile confuses newbies.
I imagine if you took all your Ceva Income devided by all your miles it may be a shocking figure.
It's not good to throw out good numbers unless you're willing to throw out all numbers.
Also when you take your income, minus your expenses, I'm curious how much more you made over a driver that had no risk or investment.

Numbers.
I've had awesome numbers on occasion.
I've had good numbers and once in a while bad numbers.
That's why I never share numbers.
If you want to throw out numbers, throw out real numbers that people can analyze.
Not just numbers that make you look good.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

This is above my pay grade. Tell commissioner Gordon to light the Bat signal over the city and get John Elliot to weigh in on this.

Hey, as a lady of the night once told me, two John's are better than one.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
John,Agreed.
We need someone with time, knowledge, and contacts to bring it all together.

Also, could a handicap system be put together to rank the top 50 or 100 carriers ?
A rookie shouldn't have to look at too many options.
You really are not able to have a rating system . But anyone that qualifies to fly that flag is a solid carrier. It's like a pledge or a oath I don't know I can bring the idea but like I said it's above my head. I need others to weigh in like Lawrence, John Elliot, the admins, vetrans and see where it goes

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter

Thinking back my answer to this is their is a "for profit" program in place for the wrong group. It's all of us NOT coming together soon enough and at least putting forth a effort on a new level.

This forum works, everyone on here puts in countless hours advising and helping. We just need a little more exposure to get newbies at least to the forum. Like I said earlier in a different post I am successful and thankful for this forum, and everyone involved.

I can only say thank you, and couldn't say it enough. I used it to learn,share, recruit, advertise and educate.

I know I made a difference in people's lifes while I was full time involved but I had support from my colleagues on here and I came on here at times just to read and learn new ways of approaching problems or spec'n out a truck or just a conversation that was much needed cause we all play and can be smart asses thats the fun side but when you need that real talk you can get it here or make contact to a member without feeling dumb for asking.

What a great tool to take to the next level.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
John, sadly EO has deteriorated some over the last few years.
There's actually a thread running by Bruno, Where's Everybody At, or similar, that discusses this issue.
What you're talking about may be able to help re-energize the EO brand.
The talent is here. There's lots of good recently retired people.
And then there's OVM.

Nite time, I'll send the pokeing stick back. Thanks

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's actually a thread running by Bruno, Where's Everybody At, or similar, that discusses this issue.
And then there's OVM.

I'm gonna try to catch some rest. I appreciate the conversation. Thank you

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
And then there's OVM.

You have to have serious respect for OVM. Only tells you the way it is and ready to call b.s. always enjoyed reading those posts and replies. Lol.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
And then there's OVM.

Maybe I have too much to say at times, my mind is never shutting off. I don't think their is anything I can do to re-energize the EO brand because I already believe in EO.

I believe in this platform so much that it would be the main driving force for any ideas that we have for bringing something like this together.

Without EO and the people behind the scenes I do not believe another forum would be as successful.

Theirs a time and a place and a person and a dedicated staff to pull off such a vision and it was a complete success.

As mentioned earlier with technology and the apps and social media and with the hectic days that lay in our way I think if participation is down then it would be a privilege not to re energize the brand but just to promote the brand and use it for what it's intended for. After all we all get a education daily from here .

I have looked up other industries and their forums because I was looking for a new career and I have to tell you for a specialized industry and a niche market like expediting, EO to me hands down is on top of their game in every way.

This is my opinion but once again EO is one part of why I was so successful.

I guess my point I want to get across is I can't do anything to make this forum better but I can promote a great product because I believe in it. And it will be yet another successful tool if we are willing to re energize our batteries and take our cause of wanting a cleaner way of doing business without big brother in on it.

If I can bring a more positive impact on expeditors and their families then I once again have a reason to participate . I'm not asking to fix stupid because , well, it exist. Ok I'm done for now. Lol