.65 to .75 cents per mile

Tryguard

New Recruit
Researching
I recently spoke with a recruiter from Fowkes Emergency Transportation. No deadhead or fuel surcharge pay, and pays .65 to .75 cents per loaded mile.

Question: How would you rate this, poor , good, great?

I am an owner operator using a dodge promaster high roof.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I recently spoke with a recruiter from Fowkes Emergency Transportation. No deadhead or fuel surcharge pay, and pays .65 to .75 cents per loaded mile.

Poor
That rate sucks 65-75c .
The dispatcher will probably make more then that . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

now if that were ALL miles I would say the downside of good....with no FSC and fuel on the rise....it makes it poor...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I won't get out of bed for that, I when drove lowest I would go was a $1.75 plus fuel surcharge
when I came out retirement I got paid really great, for 30 day's, as they need a driver to cover the load
when they need a load covered they will pay your price
always start high and bring it down where you want it
don't start where you want it as they will want you to go lower than you want

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo, why do you keep coming on here and confusing the new guys ?
You were local, lots of time and added labor.
How about posting 2016 miles, 1099 amount, and hours worked ?
You confuse people that don't know your operation and give them unrealistic expectations.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter

How would you rate it? What is their area of service ? What accounts do they have? That's just 3 questions of 100 I have for you or at least you should have for them. And then I would make them prove every word and put it in writing.

The 1st time I would of heard they do not cover deadhead I would of hung up the phone. Was their a reason for no deadhead miles covered? Reloading out of the same facility you delivered?

What software program do they base your mileage paid on. Some programs and dispatchers will bill the accounts on actual mileage and attempt to pay the driver on "air mileage".

My thought is if you have to ask the question is it good or bad I think you know the answer.

Play it safe, this forum, used properly, will guide you to a safe company that you can earn while you learn . The biggest mistake you can make is not using the tools you have access too.

Just make sure whatever you decide that you get it in writing , make the best decision for tomorrow, know your cost/overhead and be sure that you are not going to put your financial stability or your families at risk.

This industry unfortunately is not for everyone. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: ajakapari

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The first question I had about FowkesEmergency Transportation was answered with a Google Maps search for their business location, then the satellite view, and then Steet View, and found out they are located in a nice middle class house with a really nice boat on a trailer parked next to the garage.

I didn't really have any more questions after that one.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first question I had about FowkesEmergency Transportation was answered with a Google Maps search for their business location, then the satellite view, and then Steet View, and found out they are located in a nice middle class house with a really nice boat on a trailer parked next to the garage.

I didn't really have any more questions after that one.
Turtle, I am going to give Fowkes the benefit of the doubt and go past the boat. I'm taking this over your head and going to the safersys.

1 power unit, 1 driver with 1 out of service and a high number MC that's where I bow out.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just to be clear, the boat itself doesn't bother me. It's a really nice one. If you're going to get a boat, might as well get a nice one. I've owned several, from jon boats to sailboats to a houseboat. I simply included the boat on a trailer in my description to paint a more complete picture of the location for those who do not want to view the Google satellite and Steet View images themselves. ;)

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just to be clear, the boat itself doesn't bother me. It's a really nice one. If you're going to get a boat, might as well get a nice one. I've owned several, from jon boats to sailboats to a houseboat. I simply included the boat on a trailer in my description to paint a more complete picture of the location for those who do not want to view the Google satellite and Steet View images themselves. ;)
Me too. Best boat I ever owned was a 36' Carver with a fly bridge. She was a beauty.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you're going to get a boat, might as well get a nice one. I've owned several, ........
China_Inflatable_Turtle_Bumper_Boat_IWGB_052012911945492.jpg

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman.

I would appreciate you not going on to Google maps and posting a picture of my boat in my house! Lol
Turtle, I am going to give Fowkes the benefit of the doubt and go past the boat. I'm taking this over your head and going to the safersys.

1 power unit, 1 driver with 1 out of service and a high number MC that's where I bow out.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
John Elliott has said many times.....someone working from thier home is unprofessional...and he cries for a level playing field between carriers....like someone that works out of a converted barn in the Ozarks...:p

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
John Elliott has said many times.....someone working from thier home is unprofessional...and he cries for a level playing field between carriers....like someone that works out of a converted barn in the Ozarks...:p

Well I am fortunate that Google maps was not in play back when I started because I started in the bedroom of my double wide trailer with a desk and a phone and absolutely no clue what the hell I was doing.

Then I moved the business into my momma's basement and later upgraded the business into a basement of a dentist office and then multiple warehouses with cross docks everywhere.

I think the difference here is I had contracts , I was never cheap in getting freight and when I left the industry I still had my guys that I hired from day 1 because you cannot provide quality service without having quality help and the only way to be able to keep quality help is from quality pay.

No one can control freight volumes, but I was pretty damn close because it's my responsibility as a owner to have my hand in every possible contract that exist. And that includes Mexico and Canada.

If a carrier does not service Canada and somehow move freight to and from Mexico then I just don't feel you are doing any justice for your driver's and their families.

And I am not taking away from any other trucking companies because I have worked with so many great carriers over the years that where smaller and without them I would have never been successful.

And John Elliot's name seems to pop up on every post like he's a God. Let me tell you if any one person should be held to such a honor it's John Elliot. His level of commitment to build such a amazing company and give so much of his time educating and sharing is beyond human like.

I know the level of commitment needed just in what I did as a owner responsible for so much, but he raises the bar constantly and continues to be a pioneer in our industry with the direction he takes his company. And I am just honored to be in the same industry at the same time he was..

It only took Ragman 20yrs to find me on Google maps and at least he didn't find me sitting in my boat when he did.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well I am fortunate that Google maps was not in play back when I started because I started in the bedroom of my double wide trailer with a desk and a phone and absolutely no clue what the hell I was doing.

Then I moved the business into my momma's basement and later upgraded the business into a basement of a dentist office and then multiple warehouses with cross docks everywhere.

I think the difference here is I had contracts , I was never cheap in getting freight and when I left the industry I still had my guys that I hired from day 1 because you cannot provide quality service without having quality help and the only way to be able to keep quality help is from quality pay.

No one can control freight volumes, but I was pretty damn close because it's my responsibility as a owner to have my hand in every possible contract that exist. And that includes Mexico and Canada.

If a carrier does not service Canada and somehow move freight to and from Mexico then I just don't feel you are doing any justice for your driver's and their families.

And I am not taking away from any other trucking companies because I have worked with so many great carriers over the years that where smaller and without them I would have never been successful.

And John Elliot's name seems to pop up on every post like he's a God. Let me tell you if any one person should be held to such a honor it's John Elliot. His level of commitment to build such a amazing company and give so much of his time educating and sharing is beyond human like.

I know the level of commitment needed just in what I did as a owner responsible for so much, but he raises the bar constantly and continues to be a pioneer in our industry with the direction he takes his company. And I am just honored to be in the same industry at the same time he was..

It only took Ragman 20yrs to find me on Google maps and at least he didn't find me sitting in my boat when he did.
I was just doing my subtle John poke....I agree with all you said!:)