.65 to .75 cents per mile

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The newbie would be ahead if he got a prevailing wage from day one. A good guarantee that he really didn't cover.
I once had an owner told me he had a team whose purpose to go into a truck was more to have a place to live than to work.
Other than Unicorn Cartidge, have you seen many owners up a driver's pay once they learned to be profitable ?
I'm not familiar with Unicorn Cartidge. I did live near Federal Cartridge for many years but you are probably confusing Cartidge with cartridge, cartage, cabotage or partridge in a pear tree. No, I have never seen many or any amount of owners up a driver's pay. I was for a little more than a year a company driver for an expedite start-up.

Never got a raise but for what I was doing, I felt I was adequately compensated. Apparently you have been hosed by owners and I'm sure many owners have been hosed by drivers like you.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm no hoser.
Never lived in Canada.
Or Bison.

Have I been hosed ?
A few have tried, but I was at least their equal.

I have never seen many or any......
I like that.
Can I use it ?

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've wen't through this thread and my brain exploded.
So, I need to pick up the pieces and ask, hopefully get some answers.
I'm Over the Road, Sprinter Van, I've only touched freight 2 times in 4 months, so just strap down and go mostly.
I'm working for a fleet owner, so I haven't been super involved in pricing, but I do know I have had loads at $1.10/mile, BUT... BUT most of them are in the .65 to .70 cent range, and lately closer to the .65

When I become o/o, what should I say my bottom price be? (because they always ask it)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've wen't through this thread and my brain exploded.
So, I need to pick up the pieces and ask, hopefully get some answers.
I'm Over the Road, Sprinter Van, I've only touched freight 2 times in 4 months, so just strap down and go mostly.
I'm working for a fleet owner, so I haven't been super involved in pricing, but I do know I have had loads at $1.10/mile, BUT... BUT most of them are in the .65 to .70 cent range, and lately closer to the .65

When I become o/o, what should I say my bottom price be? (because they always ask it)
Who decides if you should take a load or not?

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who decides if you should take a load or not?
I have the ability to decline a load, but it has been based on being tired/no sleep, not over the price of the load. Otherwise, I'm taking all loads offered.
You need to learn your costs per mile to know if the rates offered are profitable rates.

Is that lower than the current free market rate is the question?
My point is, you asked what your bottom price should be. Only you can answer that by knowing what your costs are.

Reactions: RoadTime

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the ability to decline a load, but it has been based on being tired/no sleep, not over the price of the load. Otherwise, I'm taking all loads offered.
You need to learn your costs per mile to know if the rates offered are profitable rates.

My point is, you asked what your bottom price should be. Only you can answer that by knowing what your costs are.

LOL
No, my question is, is .70 to .65 lower than the current free market rate?
I appreciate your help, but that is the question I hope to get answered.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

LOL
No, my question is, is .70 to .65 lower than the current free market rate?
I appreciate your help, but that is the question I hope to get answered.

Sorry, can't help with that..... maybe a vanner will pop in to help.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The answer is yes, it is a bit low.

EDIT: I should clarify. For the "bottom feeder" carriers who live off bid board scraps, .65 to .70 is about right. For others, .80 to a dollar is more the average to the truck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
most important thing to do if you work for someone have a contract spell's out what is require of you and what the owner is going to for you.
if he is not going give you a contract wouldn't work for him

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The answer is yes, it is a bit low.

EDIT: I should clarify. For the "bottom feeder" carriers who live off bid board scraps, .65 to .70 is about right. For others, .80 to a dollar is more the average to the truck.

:pointup:
:JC_goodpost:
:JC_ThankYou:

Reactions: Turtle
You guys should use your google skills and check out our Facility now. We did start this company from the address you see with the boat about 5 yrs ago. We haven't had time to change the address for the Transportation company yet ( I'm going to do that now). We have came a long way since then. Our current facility is on google maps as Selected Service Center. We service our own vehicles as well as the general public. We specialize in sprinter repair. Your google skills should also show you that Selected Service Center is the same owner as Fowkes Emergency Transportation. We run trucking ops here at 445 32nd st se Wyoming MI 49548. Google away. You should really get all the details before you go around talking down upon people you don't know. It really depends on the load weight miles etc on pay per mile. We kind of take it on a case by case basis a lot of times we let the O/O choose the rate they want. We see what the market will allow and we try to get as much as we can for our guys while not leaving them sit for a week at a time. I also don't like to have our recruiters promise the world to potential O/O. I would prefer for them to come to work for us with realistic expectations. Not just tell them what they want to hear so we can make a buck off them while we leave them to die for weeks at a time like I see a lot of company's do. We do have a little different approach then some places but it has worked well for us and our guys.

Reactions: NorthernBill

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the last thing fleet owners want is to be determined drivers are "employees"..that would be a big NoNo...

I had 1 great driver made me money and worked the sheet....60/40.....I said Ernie why not work per shift or per week....He said that made him lazy and this way he had to hustle....heck even om a Monday his envelope was never less then 75 bucks and thats after scooping 1 fare for coffee money....LOL
Come to think about it I had a lot of interesting jobs and they where all driving jobs. I drove local flatbed, OTR oversize, I drove limousines, a cab, I was a personal driver for some local politicians for awhile some of those years are foggy but it's possible I might have even drove Mrs Daisy.
Were you the limo driver that picked up Jimmy Hoffa back in the day? Lol.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan