5 Sprinter Vans - 2018 Financial Results are In

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an advice to all drivers. Don't buy new and extended vans. My $21K 2017 Transit T150 LWB Mid roof has 19mpg, carries 2 pallets and makes the same money or better than $53K 2017 extended diesel Sprinter. I only remember once or twice - I couldn't get a load for it due to size limitation.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have an advice to all drivers. Don't buy new and extended vans. My $21K 2017 Transit T150 LWB Mid roof has 19mpg, carries 2 pallets and makes the same money or better than $53K 2017 extended diesel Sprinter. I only remember once or twice - I couldn't get a load for it due to size limitation.

Exactly. Couldnt agree more.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New van, agree 100%

If you only have 1 van...at least for me, it's worth having almost 14' for the 1 or 2 loads a month that need it. Not only does it get me offers quicker when home, it's easier to find a backhaul when something is available that all the shorter vans can't take.

(For Sprinter, that's not the extended, just the regular 170" wb. Ford Transit you need extended for 14', Ram Promaster has to be 3500 and extended, the 2500 is shorter. Bring a tape measure the dealers / private sellers usually don't know what they have)

Newer Sprinter extended, I only know one person with one, he used it to grab auto loads that were too much for a regular van

It DOES reduce the amount of weight you can legally carry to have an extended.

Edit: maybe the reduced weight misses the 1 or 2 loads I pick up on size...you can't win lol

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
New van, agree 100%

If you only have 1 van...at least for me, it's worth having almost 14' for the 1 or 2 loads a month that need it. Not only does it get me offers quicker when home, it's easier to find a backhaul when something is available that all the shorter vans can't take.

(For Sprinter, that's not the extended, just the regular 170" wb. Ford Transit you need extended for 14', Ram Promaster has to be 3500 and extended, the 2500 is shorter. Bring a tape measure the dealers / private sellers usually don't know what they have)

Newer Sprinter extended, I only know one person with one, he used it to grab auto loads that were too much for a regular van

It DOES reduce the amount of weight you can legally carry to have an extended.

Edit: maybe the reduced weight misses the 1 or 2 loads I pick up on size...you can't win lol

I agree completely on the tape measure thing. Its amazing how many salesman dont know anything about what they sell. That's why I like Jon from Scaffildi commercial Ford in Steven's Point , Wi. He knows everything about everything that he has ordered. Even the empty weight with body on it for each individual van.

And, yes, I agree that a minimum 3 skid capability van should be standard in the expediting industry.

Scaffidi Truck Center - New & Used Heavy Duty Trailers, Medium Trailers, Loaders, Sales, Service, and Parts in Stevens Point, WI, near Prentice, Abbotsford, Antigo, and Crandon

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you pay your drivers by the mile or percentage.
For some I pay 55% to drivers, but they pay for gas using my CC. Some are fixed at 30 cents for loaded and 20 cents for empty after 100 miles.
55% and they pay for fuel? Wow!
That's a bit ambiguous. They pay for gas with HIS cc, and you saw "they pay for gas" I dunno
They use his cc is different from they pay using his card. Maybe i shouldn't assume he deducts the charge from their settlement.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
That's a bit ambiguous. They pay for gas with HIS cc, and you saw "they pay for gas" I dunno
Um, clear to me. He deducts fuel from settlement of 55%. If fixed rate at .30, that's 40% of .75 average. He said high weekly miles so income is probably way better then burger flipping. However, knot for me.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just had a lucid dream - started a trucking business, had the office, a couple of drivers were showing up with Freightliners and doing their pre-trips. I was trying to figure out how to break it to them that they were going to have to teach me how to get loads and run regulated.

Time to put the phone down for awhile I think :confused2:

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Salaries (225,400)
For some I pay 55% to drivers, but they pay for gas using my CC. Some are fixed at 30 cents for loaded and 20 cents for empty after 100 miles.
Yes, they pay for fuel with my CC but it’s later deducted on the settlement. I think it’s better for drivers to get 55% on the $3,500 weekly gross than typical 60/40% split on $1,500-$1,800 weekly gross. We are working extra hard to keep drivers loaded and driving. Our top driver made $72K Net last year.

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are still looking for a same household, hysband/wife team for ST 26ft truck to run 48 states and Canada. They can make $70-$90K

Reactions: D1964

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, they pay for fuel with my CC but it’s later deducted on the settlement. I think it’s better for drivers to get 55% on the $3,500 weekly gross than typical 60/40% split on $1,500-$1,800 weekly gross. We are working extra hard to keep drivers loaded and driving. Our top driver made $72K Net last year.
What about fuel surcharge?

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about fuel surcharge?
We don’t get any fuel surcharge. Our bids are all in.