23 years

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The NCAA has zero power to stop one and done. They could however change the rules that allow Kentucky and others to create cupcake classes and made up majors created to pass elgibility rules. They could also stop rules that allow Kentucky players and others to completely withdraw from the spring semester before grading starts. They do so as to not hurt grading but still allow kids to play ball.

Johny autograph did not get in trouble at all for signing sports memorabilia and then blatently lieing about not doing it for money. Right now the rules and regs need major changes but until they are it is against the rules plain and simple. What gets me the most is when a player has already left and the kids after that player are punished for something they have nothing to do with.

I personally do not think college players should be paid more than a small monthly amount like one or two hundred bucks. I do think medical problems created in college should be taken care of even after college. I also dislike the fact they can yank a kids scholarship after two or three years at no fault of the player.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The NBA and NFL, need a minor league system. College sports is way out of control. The class work should come first. If you can't cut it in a REAL classroom, no play. As in politics, it is all about money.

I don't really blame the players who go into it, they know what the story is. Those who go in looking to make the pros and NOT get an education, ask for what they get. How about, leave early? Pay back the schoolership, Flunk out? Same thing. Classes first, everything else second.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
The NCAA has zero power to stop one and done. They could however change the rules that allow Kentucky and others to create cupcake classes and made up majors created to pass elgibility rules. They could also stop rules that allow Kentucky players and others to completely withdraw from the spring semester before grading starts. They do so as to not hurt grading but still allow kids to play ball.

Johny autograph did not get in trouble at all for signing sports memorabilia and then blatently lieing about not doing it for money. Right now the rules and regs need major changes but until they are it is against the rules plain and simple. What gets me the most is when a player has already left and the kids after that player are punished for something they have nothing to do with.

I personally do not think college players should be paid more than a small monthly amount like one or two hundred bucks. I do think medical problems created in college should be taken care of even after college. I also dislike the fact they can yank a kids scholarship after two or three years at no fault of the player.

The cupcake classes has been going on for a very long time at probably most if not all major conference schools. I know I watched a documentary about black players in the late 60's early 70's some of them couldn't even read but could play ball so schools would hand them special tests that were already answered. I know my high school did this because some of the guys on the football weren't even as sport as forest gump and I'm not joking.

I agree that if you get hurt playing any sport in college they should cover medical expenses for you entire life on that injury no matter the sport.

I'm not smart enough to figure out the paying players thing. I think they should be paid for 30 hours at minimum wgar a week. That seems fair to me but I dinno

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no problem paying them if you stop giving scholarships stop feeding them and all other benifits and all pay is taxed. The whole thing about pay for play is a can of worms. The majority of schools make nothing off of sports teams and you pay one you pay all. Pay the star football players you pay the bench warmer for women's curling. Title nine has pretty much decided that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't get me wrong as long as its allowed I cannot argue with a kid leaving early. You go to college to earn a good living and essentially that's what they are doing.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That's very true about the making a living point.

I can't remember the exact figure but when Kentucky won the championship a couple years ago even tho Rupp Arena was jammed pack every home game and most of the game were on national tv, the 6-7 football made twice as much money at a basketball school. Football is the cash cow that laid the golden egg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't get me wrong as long as its allowed I cannot argue with a kid leaving early. You go to college to earn a good living and essentially that's what they are doing.

There is very little chance of making the pros out of college, the vast majority don't make it. College is there to get an education. It should not be used as a minor league, or a developmental league, for pro sports.

Sports in schools of all levels should be a side bar, not an education in it self.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
There is very little chance of making the pros out of college, the vast majority don't make it. College is there to get an education. It should not be used as a minor league, or a developmental league, for pro sports.

Sports in schools of all levels should be a side bar, not an education in it self.

Why yes 98% of NCAA graduates go pro in something other than sports, it's that 2% that makes the schools,conference and NCAA millions from TV contracts, merchandise, and ticket sales. Those % are made up but that doesn't stop it from being true

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sports are way over blown. Even more so in major college sports. Bunch of greedy, money grubbing liberals running those schools, what else do you expect?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

We were talking about one and done that is entirely different than Colgate athletes on the whole.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We were talking about one and done that is entirely different than Colgate athletes on the whole.

There should not even be any "big time" college sports. That is not the purpose of college. The idea that they are taking tax payer dollars for that makes it worse. It's bad enough we are forced to pay for those places in the first place, with ZERO control over them, but to have to pay for sports makes it twice as bad.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually sports can teach a lot of leadership skills and can contribute to a persons success later in life. Just to dismiss it because it sounds good shows a lack of understanding IMHO.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually sports can teach a lot of leadership skills and can contribute to a persons success later in life. Just to dismiss it because it sounds good shows a lack of understanding IMHO.

I am not dsimissing anything. I fully understand what sport can teach. So can band, theater, etc, anything that involves leadership and learning to work with others. That can be learned without millions of TV dollars etc. Kids start learning that in grade school if they are involved in anything like sports, band, theater, even things like 4H or scouting. College sports do not have to be big business to teach those lessons. The idea that learning can only take place in a big money, spotlight environment defies logic, IMHO of course.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have never once in my life heard anyone make such a claim.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The idea that learning can only take place in a big money, spotlight environment defies logic,

It does defy logic. I do not dismiss the importance of what sport can teach. I played sports, I understand it. I also was in band, learned the same lessons. There is no need, however, to emphasize it to the degree it is in big time college sport as we know it today. The same lessons can be learned with no TV contract and 100 people in the stands, if any. TV contracts, pro scouts, and special treatment teach nothing of value. None of that teaches leadership, the concept of teamwork, sportsmanship or a sense of fair play. The "hoopla" portion is, in my opinion, counter educational.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are you talking about show us where anyone has ever said learning can only take place in that enviroment. Who's logic is being defied?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What are you talking about show us where anyone has ever said learning can only take place in that enviroment. Who's logic is being defied?

I never said anyone in here said that. I never said that anyone anywhere said it. It is however, what we have today. When I day that we should do away with that I am told that I dismiss the importance of sports in school, with is incorrect. Sports need to be de=emphasized, put in their proper place in the educational setting. As we have it today, where big money is in control, it is counter productive. All I am saying is there is no need for the hoopla to learn.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You stated "the idea" it has to be someone's idea, someone's logic. Did you just make it up or did you here someone make that claim?