2006 Sprinter

Hader1

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,
I was wondering how do the Sprinter Drivers keep warm this time of the year? can you idle a Sprinter overnight? any response or ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't own a Sprinter but I do have a cargo Van, Many use the Espar Heater, Some a Power Inverter and have a Electric Heater, Colman make a Propane Heater that Puts off No fumes, Myself I just idled all night, But this was Before the Fuel Prices went through the Roof, I retired from Driving in Jan. of this Year.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't own a Sprinter but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No, wait, I DO own a Sprinter and I have an Espar heater. I get that and a Holiday Inn Express confused sometimes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since the poster didn't say anything about whether they insulated yet...all the heaters from down below won't matter much..all you get is an internal ice cube all over the walls...
My 1st van I hadn't insulated yet and it was like -40 in Quebec...the walls of the van had like 1/8 of an inch of ice INSIDE!!!

Hader1

Seasoned Expediter
Yes it is insulated, the Espar seem to be the choice i just wish it was a bit less $.
Thanks to all.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't run a sprinter, but a CV. I insulaterd 4 foot back from the back of the drivers seat. Blue foam broad, bubble insulation over that and 1/4 luann plywood. Put a shower rod up and hang a big old really heavy double sleeping bag over that and also a heave quilt and use that as a burier from my bunk and cargo area.

I have a Big Buddy propane heater and a 20 lb bottle. The heater sits on my Laptop stand at night. I have only used it on the low setting at this point, and it gets hot enough that i turn it off some nights. NOW, last night, I got into my 1st snow and it ran all night, just nice a toasty.

And yea I do get moisture on the windows and in the uninsulated cargo area, the windows , just gives me a reason to clean them, and i don't do anything in the cargo area.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea the Big buddies are ok to use indoors. That being said, i always have both front windows open about 1-1.5 inches and i have a Co2 detector. It has never gone off and there has no issues at this point. The heater also as a "low oxygen" detector built in and shuts off if there is a loss of oxygen, that too has never happened.

The windows bein down a bit isn't an issue as long as i park the van so that thw ind isn't blowing right into it, and to be honest, i put the sleeping bag up right around my neck and i am good and warm, and i like breathing what cold air gets to me!!

All in all, i hve no thought of getting any other kind of heat as long as i am in a van.

PS: I have the heater set up to use a 20lb tank that i chain to the front wheel. It consist of a hose and filter, don't use a big tank without the filter, something about the oil in the fuel gumming up the works. I run it on low for the most part, have had it on med once and it was too hot. I haven't had any issues with the unit shutting off or with the frost issues that some have had with the 1 lb canisters. It all has worked great, and as a matter of fact, it is running right now as i type this

One thing, they make 2 models. 1 with just the capacity of 1 cansiter, 1 with 2. The bigger model also has a fan at the top. The fan doe NOT blow hot air. What it does is move the hot air off the ceiling and moves it around to heat the other areas of the van.

It has worked great for me.

Last edited:

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Chef, if you ever get out west in the higher altitudes your heater might shut off from low oxygen. That happened to Ed when he was out in Washington, or maybe it was was Montana.
With the low oxygen from the altitude the low O2 sensor shut the unit off.
He also uses a 20 lb. tank and loves it. Hasn't had a problem yet. He does have a Co2 sensor in the van also. Would be crazy to use a separate heater without one. :)

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
If you want to idle your sprinter for awhile and retain heat and do not have the high idle option, you can use an idle stick. Cut a piece of dowl or other thin piece of wood and notch one end. Cut it about 9.5" long and then stick it between the gas pedal and the bottom of the plastic coming down from the dash. This should giv you about 1000 rpm and will keep engine in temp range and you can run the fan. Letting the sprinter idle over nite at normal idle could produce a lot of smoke when you take off after waking up.
I use the idle stick while waiting at a customers in the cold for an hour or so and also when warming up the truck in the winter after its sat overnite or such.
Rob

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
thermo king in millbury,ohio has the espar heater for $1250.00
plus tax of course

i'll have mine put in monday brrr after my lastest run to hopkinston,ma

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey Dan!! How you doin? Haven't heard from you in a while, was just wonderin where you were yesterday! Stay warm!!

LSLdriver

Seasoned Expediter
I have a mr. heater mini that runs on 1 lb tanks and lasts about 6 hours. It does not have settings, just one. It does a good job at taking the chill out of the air. I do want an espar though.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
thermo king in millbury,ohio has the espar heater for $1250.00 plus tax of course
Is that installed ? ...... if so, it's a good price.

i'll have mine put in monday brrr after my lastest run to hopkinston,ma
I think you will find it to be some of the best money you have spent on the Sprinter and life on the road.