2006 SPRINTER

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,I drive a 2006 Sprinter and I know the older models came with a lot of problems(egr valve,transmission,motor monts etc.).Can you tell me if you find the same or other problems with your 2006 Sprinter?I have 45000 mile and NO problems so far, but I will like to know what to expect on the next 145000 mile.Thanks. }> }> }> }> }> }>

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not sure if you manual says change the transmission fluid at 60,000 or 80,000 miles. Change it at 60,000.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2005 sprinter.

Do BOTH tranny and rear end service at about 80,000.
Tranny service is around $300 and rear end is about $75 bucks.

DO NOT skip the service on these vans. it WILL cost you dearly.

I've heard $5,000 to replace rear end alone!!!!

I've also had to front wheel bearing cleaned and repacked at 100,000 miles. Tech said mine had a little looseness in them.

Brakes wear for me at 132,000 miles was only 25%!!! I'll prolly wear the rotors out before the pads at this rate!!!

Now at 144,450 miles NO mechanical breakdowns yet and still averaging about 22-23 MPG.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In April 2006, Dodge released a technical service bulletin that recommended trany and rear end fluid changes at 60,000 instead of 80,000. If you don't change it at 60,000, then certainly don't go beyond 80,000. Mine is sitting at 58,576 on the odometer right now, and I have an appointment next week for the maintenance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went beyond 90,000 with mine BUT I wouldn't recommend it! It could've been a BIG mistake on my part!

On fuel filters at $60-70 a pop I did mine @ 25,000= Clean as a whistle.
Then again at 40,000 mile and again you could eat off it. The manual says 20,000. So where's reality check in? The sprinter seems to dispell water well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I changed my fuel filter at 20 and then again at 40, and both times it looked new. At 60, I'll probably do it again along with the oil and trany and rear end, but after that I may bump it up to every 3rd or 4th oil change, instead of every other one.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Our 2006 only has 5K miles on it at this point and we've had the following problems:

Intake air flow or temperature sensor went bad causing the Engine Malfunction light to come on - vehicle continued to run just fine. Replaced under warranty.

Power steering rack developed a leak. The rack, power steering pump and a hose were replaced under warranty. I still need to take it back in and have the toe-in reset since they didn't quite get the steering wheel centered when they replaced the rack.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you haven't sign up for the business link do it for sprinter as it will save alot of money in long run and it is free to
i'm having pm done tomorrow and one of big ones and ask how much would it be and they said 370 with business link down to 270

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
2005 sprinter just rolled over 190,000 miles.. no problems yet changed the tranny fluid twice, rearend once, replaced front tires at 177,000 still had serviceable tread on them rears i put the second set on with the first fronts, changed the belt at 80,000 and 177,000 miles breaks are still good for another 30,000 miles but will have to replace the rotors when i replace the brakes along with the wheel bearings, knock on wood i have no horror stories to tell, oh i change the engine oil and filter around every 14,000 miles or so 40,000 for the air and fuel filters

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My son's 2004 with 137K had the engine light come on about a week or two ago, finally got it in to the dealer on Monday - it was the Mass Air Flow sensor - the same thing that went bad on my 2006 - unfortunately his wasn't under warranty ..... $740.00

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hondaking..

How are your headlights lasting??? I am going thru them like water about one a month. I'd heard of this but now experiencing it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'm not Hondaking (nor did I stay at a .... oh nevermind) ....

.....but ....... I replaced one on my son's 2006 a couple of weeks ago .... the other side had been replaced previously. I haven't replaced any on our 2006, but there's a guy in the terminal that has a 2004 or 2005 Sprinter and when I asked him how he liked it he said fine - other than it eats bulbs generally, headlights included ...... always replacing something every month or so.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RLENT.... My post was to Hondaking but since you responded thats kool too.
Mines an 05 Sprinter and spitting out headlights.
Other then that 152,000 and no major repairs or problems. Touch wood.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So far, at only 62,000 miles though, I've not had to replace any bulbs. Where's that wood?

Can you get the bulbs at most any auto parts place, like an Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc., or is it a dealer thing still? I keep reading all over the net about how the headlights go out all the time, I'm wondering if I don't need to carry a spare case or two with me.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The low beams for our 2006 are a standard H7 halogen - my wifes 2000 VW Passat happens to take the same bulb - they should be readily available at any major auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.)

Personally I plan on carrying a spare for all critical bulbs (Stop, Tail, Turn, Low Beam Head Lamp, License Plate) and an assortment of AT fuses. It's a fairly minimal investment and cheap insurance.

There's got to be an underlying reason why these vehicles are eating the headlamp bulbs ..... the one thing I do know about this type of bulb (halogen ) is that when replacing them one has to be very careful not to touch the glass of the bulb .... the oils from your skin will cause them to fail prematurely .... I think that holds true for all halogen bulbs. Additionally any type of contamination (dirt, scratches) will probably cause the bulb to fail sooner that it should.

....... oh for the good ol' days of the sealed beam headlamp .........;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bulbs are a standard H7 type and available almost evrywhere. We buy them by the pair. Seems more prudent that way.
Your oil filters are also available at Autozone. Anout 11-12 bucks
Fuel filters Dealer parts.
My technician gave this reason for premature failure:
We do alot of nighttime running the intensity of these bulbs for such an extended time of use burns out the element.

Guess with the day getting longer we'll see if they last longer in the summer as compared to the short winter days.

talkinghorse43

Expert Expediter
My '02 has DRL, so the low beams are always on when the van is running.

Mine has 96k miles and I think I've replaced each side twice now. The last one blew right after startup - was at night, so I could see it go. I also always see a voltage spike (lights get brighter momentarily) right after startup at night. Someone in one of the forums I read said this might be when the glow plugs turn off. Since the glow plugs draw some serious current (I heard 90 amps), maybe the voltage regulator takes some time to respond to the reduced current draw and momentarily puts out too much voltage?

Maybe this voltage spike is the culprit?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One issue that I heard about from D-C is the design of the mounting of the headlights themselves where they multiply the vibrations of the road that the bulbs take. I know that the van is not intended for the cr*ppy roads we have here in the states and a few things have been changed to reflect that fact.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got a couple each of the fuses already, but I haven't gotten around to buying a couple each of all the light. That is something I plan on doing.

As for oil filters, I now get those by the case of 10, off eBay from someone in Hudsonville, MI. $49.95 plus $11.95 UPS ground. I dunno, maybe they'll let you pick 'em up and save on the shipping. But even if not, $6.90 per ain't bad.