15 days is to long.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Payroll department.... bonuses..... holding back a settlement when out of service.... sounds like.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Outside of DH pay not being added to a run or something, we for some reason aren't having these problems unless it is self inflicted. Like emailing a pro in and not verifying they get it, or received, but not legible. Sending them in at the last minute has delayed payment on a run as well a few times, but not with any frequency.
Maybe we are dealing with a different payroll dept?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I know one thing. Payroll dept is definitely messed up. That's one thing that has to be addressed at the next council meeting. It's only hurting the drivers. I'm generally happy with Panther myself considering. I am just stressed about payroll. I've called the driver rep at Panther with some issues and half the time my questions get answered. The other half get ignored. It's the only thing at Panther that fustrates me to no end. Now if I could only get the same tires all the way around for my Camaro and I'd be happy. I need 235 60R15's for the back and 215 60 R 15's in the front. The kicker is I need all the tires to be the same tread. How bout those apples!!!!! I'd be a happy camper if I could get home and go available again. I have to wait til 4:30 to get the tires on my car.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In over 3 years I've had a handful of problems with pay. The problems are usually a problem of when paperwork went in, who and how someone in safety or dispatch entered something associated with the pro or other factors and rarely are a problem with the payroll department. They process what they are given the way it is given to them but since they are the last link in the pay chain they get blamed for everything.

I doubt that Sean unilaterally decided to hold back on pay. Sean is one of the more pro driver advocates at Panther. He follows the rules but he'll look for a way to make the rule as driver friendly as he can. Sometimes he can't make something work for the driver without violating Panther policies and in that case he follows the policy. By doing that he's able at other times to do things for the drivers by pointing out the other side of a policy coin that lets him do what he wants/needs to do within the rules. Obviously I'm not privy to the specifics of this incident but know this to be a fact overall.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Yes I do have the 56% advance set up, however that goes to paying the driver and some of the fuel. The problem I have and I have adressed it and I am waiting on a response. The accounting dept. did not pay me my money that was due today. It was on a 15 day term from March 25th. I have $5600 dollars that is due to the IRS tomarrow for payroll taxes between my two businesses. They owe me $2100 dollars today because some of the paper work was turned in later then that after the driver quit I had to hand it in myself. I took a loss last month because I had one driver show up at orientation just to steal my GPS system and it took me a few days to get another driver in. He then broke down on the trucks first load under my ownership. This month is going much better I have doubled my sales over last month at the half way point.

guido4475

Not a Member
3% charge to get your money in 7 days? i am sure glad i am not there.the carrier i am at pays every week with no charges. smaller is better. and why do they pay $1.20 per loaded mile now, when back in 1996 they paid $1.35 per loaded mile? why are they going the opposite direction as far as pay goes? something sounds alittle screwey here.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
guido4475, this is very good questions and very smart post. Bravo , whice company you work for?

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Okay here is the story. With my orientation fees and one of my trucks not being in opperation I owed Panther $136 dollars between three orientation packages. Physical,Drug screen and processing fee. Also insurance on a guy that ended up stealing my GPS after class. My expenses should be $598 dollars less next week. That being said I should get something on the the remaining 45 + fuel surcharge in my next settlement check. It helps to have both trucks up and running and I have two guys that are going to team together and the other one will be a solo until I can find someone to team with him. This month is my last month of evaluation and I will have decide if I want to keep running in expediting. One truck ran and it cost me 3500 dollars and I only got back $558 towards fuel so something has to give. My first driver was new to the industry and my new drivers are treating my trucks much better. They rearly ever idle the engine at truck stops. If it's cold they go inside the TA at the drivers lounge until it's time to sleep. Then they might run the engine an hour or two if it's cold. I want to make a fair evaluation of the industry before I shut the door on the expedtiting business.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
I have never had problems getting paid by Panther. you must scan your pros to get paid.you must check the web site to be sure the pros arrived and are posted.It is not very difficult. Blaming Panther because you fail to check on pros being turned in is almost funny as it is the o/o or fleet owners job to be sure they get the pros so they can get paid. Anyone not checking to be sure their drivers are turning in the pros is not controling their business they are allowing hired help to deterime their business sucess. How is that Panther not doing its job? The COL. was right keep the pipeline full and these problems will disappear.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
wE DO ALL THIS YOUR TIPS BY ARE SELF BUT WE HAVE A :confused: ABOUT THIS PAY SISTEM ..........15 DAYS, 7 DAYS, APPROVOL FROM SAFTY- WHAT THE SAFTY HAVE TO DO WITH A PAYROLL? THIS IS WHAT I FIND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SO MANY YEARS IN TRUCKING- SAFTY HAVE TO APPROVE MY PAY??????????? SAFTY IS A SAFTY , NOT A PAYROLL.........IF WE DON'T HAVE THIS :confused: WE WILL BE OK . i LOOK START FROM MONDAY ABOUT THE DOKUMENTS IN WEB WE KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT MAYBE WE DON'T HAVE A YOUR LUCK, BUT AFTRE I CALL WE FIX THE PAY BUT ALWAYS HAVE TO CALL FOR US IS IN THIS WAY. GOOD THAT YOU ARE OK I AM GLAD FOR YOU AND THE REST WHO DON'T HAVE A PROBLEMS YOU LIVING AT LIST THE PHONE LINE FOR US WHO HAVE A PROBLEMS.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
Bad enough that I had to replace a driver, but that driver left me with a paper work mess. Panther won't even back date the pro's for me. The accounting department is a mess and they are slow updating the system. They put a 15 day terms on Pro's that were done the first week of March. I had to fax them over about five times and call the settlement department several more times before I got any action.

15 days after the paper work is recieved is far to long to go without pay. They need to pay once the customer pays and all paper work is recieved. The pay should be within that week or even same day. This is a good topic for the next driver council meeting.

read my post "panther inconsistancies" Not only that but they can backcharge for their money right away.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Yes 100% true for get the money right a way in the same day- no 7 days, no 15 days no approval form the safty - direct outdrow from the pay ?