$1.40 per mile?

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everyone that runs at that rate................ they are saving for the breakdown that they are driving towards at a faster rate than others? No wonder rates went in the toilet. Im kinda in shock this industry needs another Hoffa someone who will shake all the feathers out of their heads.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as Layoutshooter said $1.40 should only be used when the advantage goes to you...like home bound or somewhere you need to go....but never on a regular basis...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hoffa?

You serious?

I think if that was the case, we would all be working somewhere else.

It all depends on your cost per mile, not how much you want to make. If your cost is over a buck a mile with the FSC adjustment, then you have a problem.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
i worked for a union company, here in michigan. i got treated better from a non union company. all you do is pay dues, as long as they get their money they dont care about you. as we all say, we are just going to have to either do what we do or find something else to do. bottom line. companies are just trying to save money and thats the name of the game.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
i worked for a union company, here in michigan. i got treated better from a non union company. all you do is pay dues, as long as they get their money they dont care about you.

Just goes to show, there's no honor among thieves. Or extortioners, in this case.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I wasn't sure after reading those posts. Every one's cost to operate will vary, but I was surprised that was interpreted as a "not a great run" but "a good one". If one was adding this to a load already on the truck it might be ok, but it just kind of surprised me.

Dave on a comparison basis....the 1.40 reasoning is the same down here at the CV level....when did .70 become the acceptable norm...?? :eek:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
At $1.40, including FSC, in my straight truck, I would go broke. I average 10.5MPG. It is far too low.
layout,I have lease payment of 485 week,and with other expenses that turns into 722 a week plus fuel,and at 5 to 6 mpg,Im still clearing 1000 week and then some.most of my weeks are in the 1.50 mile range,all in but there are some weeks that pay less,such as this week.Get ready for this,Pfiser load,now called Wythe Health,going from Edison Nj to Sparks Nv.3111 to truck,but my relaod is going back to Knoxville out of Salinas california for $7000 plus surcharge,produce paying very well right now,makes up for lousy pfiser load.Now i sww how FDCC lost he account.If I do the load for Total Logistics,same load pays me 1.90 loaded mile,that would either come out of richmond or tenn,but the jersey loads have to many people with there hands out

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Dave,

Well, let's see what this load really was. If figuring in all you guys that have all your TVAL, bells and whistles on, then you might be a bit offended at a 1.40 per mile run and need to wait for a better run to put all of your extras in use. (It was cleared up as being 1.40 for all miles.) It also may not seem like a great run for you fleet owners with multiple trucks at the carrier, but then again you are getting a higher rate than the average owner operator to start with. But if you're talking about a dry van type run offered to a 12 foot truck, I can't see where guaranteed revenue like that is bad. Right now the new flag waving motto is, "More money, not more miles." I am hoping that there is another often missed factor added to this equation, which is the time lost loading and unloading all of those short, but profitable runs. An hour here, a couple of hours there, and LOT of money is leaving people's lives. We weren't discussing a 300 miler, were we? That would be very different.

I know that you would be the first to note that, "It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep."

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I would argue that you would be making as much, if not more, with a 1000 miler at 1.40, than you would doing 2-500 milers at 1.60. You have twice the number of stops. And we all know time is money. If both are alike in how good the destination is, I'll take the 1000 miler.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I would argue that you would be making as much, if not more, with a 1000 miler at 1.40, than you would doing 2-500 milers at 1.60. You have twice the number of stops. And we all know time is money. If both are alike in how good the destination is, I'll take the 1000 miler.

If this was being delivered by a team truck ( a 12 footer) that can deliver direct, then where is the downside?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How about a solo? I have had a few 1200 mile runs and like those over the 500 deliver direct runs I have had.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This thread is making me mad now!! You guys better get your heads out of your rears before every carrier and broker decides he's gonna take a massive sheet on us all! Do you really expect me to belive that FedEX had somehow lowered their expedited freight rates to remail competitive lol. I still see straight truck loads going on the Alliance board between 1.74 and 2.00 a mille. Why are you taking less than at least 1.50 in a large straight truck? This is getting ridiculous now. Is it going to get to the point where we are going to work for free out here just because we like to see new places lol. I'm tired of these companies feeding us the same old crap story that they aren't getting enough money off these loads to pay us properly. I can guarantee you carriers and brokers are still making out like fat cats in this downturned economy.

All I can say now is that if the rates are gonna go down and stay down, i'll never buy a new piece of equipment again. They had better lower their equipment age standards to coinside with their new business practices. I'd run a 10 year old rag-tag truck for 1.40 all miles lol, but whether or not it will make it to the dock without breaking down is another story entirely! It's just a shame to think back on the Roberts days and then to see what the industry is turning into at this current point in time. I was never here during the good ole days, byt I had a small taste of getting paid over 1.10 in a cargo van at Panther back in the middle of 2006. I know it used to be a lot more profitable out here. Any how, I hope things get better, but many drivers will not band together to make it better. I guess that is how it has always been!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I also told you guys that carriers and brokers read these forums. The more people were talking about how bad the economy was getting the more brokers realized that they could capitalize off of our fears. I believe the flat rate fuel surcuarge was a direct result of our ramblings in these forums. Carriers realized that they could lower the rates on our end and then simply blame it on the economy and then make the shippers look like the bad guys instead of themselves. The more we whine about what is happening, the more ground we're going to lose as owner ops out here. Don't think what is happening at FedEx won't hurt you simply because you n o longer drive for them, it will be making it's way down the pipes of your company soon enough!!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
This thread is making me mad now!! You guys better get your heads out of your rears before every carrier and broker decides he's gonna take a massive sheet on us all! Do you really expect me to belive that FedEX had somehow lowered their expedited freight rates to remail competitive lol. I still see straight truck loads going on the Alliance board between 1.74 and 2.00 a mille. Why are you taking less than at least 1.50 in a large straight truck? This is getting ridiculous now. Is it going to get to the point where we are going to work for free out here just because we like to see new places lol. I'm tired of these companies feeding us the same old crap story that they aren't getting enough money off these loads to pay us properly. I can guarantee you carriers and brokers are still making out like fat cats in this downturned economy.

All I can say now is that if the rates are gonna go down and stay down, i'll never buy a new piece of equipment again. They had better lower their equipment age standards to coinside with their new business practices. I'd run a 10 year old rag-tag truck for 1.40 all miles lol, but whether or not it will make it to the dock without breaking down is another story entirely! It's just a shame to think back on the Roberts days and then to see what the industry is turning into at this current point in time. I was never here during the good ole days, byt I had a small taste of getting paid over 1.10 in a cargo van at Panther back in the middle of 2006. I know it used to be a lot more profitable out here. Any how, I hope things get better, but many drivers will not band together to make it better. I guess that is how it has always been!

Blizzard,

The load in question was offered to a 12 foot truck. After equipment, that truck can probably haul 4 skids max. This is not a thread about a carrier's profit margin, it's about the rate to a truck. Evidently, the owner op felt that this load was beneath his minimum, and that's fine. Last I heard, even Panther's rate to a straight truck that was 16 feet or less was 1.10, plus fuel.

If you're choking in indignation on a $0.35 profit margin on an Alliance load for a small straight truck, you should see what is getting billed further up the food chain.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm puzzled, who in their right mind would have a 12 feet of cargo space for their truck?

The one thing I have to ask, with my limited access to the "alliance" board is how much of that is actually "exclusive use" and how much can that go on board with another load?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Let me make a few clarifications. The 1.40 was in reference to a straight truck load, not a 12 footer. My concern wasn't whether someone would run it under certain conditions, but that it was classified as a "good load".
Would we run it? Maybe. Again, under certain conditions. But I would NOT classify it as a "good load".
I could literally run trucks at a buck a mile, but that is much different than whether it is the profit margin I expect.
There is enough freight in the current market that I see little reason to run at a bargain rate when it isn't necessary.
We were running 1.40 freight 10 years ago under much different conditions.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, we normally wouldn't be offering our large straights at 1.40 all in, especially when diesel was still above 4 bucks. I assumed that your post was in reference to Phil's post about 1.40 on his truck. That was offered to a 12 footer.