Death by DeSantis

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I’m not totally sure about this but I would wager that Florida has way more nursing home beds than New York, which would allow desantis to do something like that here. Each state had to work with what resources they have.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Didn’t Cuomo get a huge ship outfitted for him to use?

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and davekc

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Didn’t Cuomo get a huge ship outfitted for him to use?

He did but remember they were not allowed to send Covid positive people there for most of the time it was there. That ship was not equipped for dealing with infections diseases, it was meant for all of the normal everyday injuries, car wrecks heart attacks, things like that.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
He did but remember they were not allowed to send Covid positive people there for most of the time it was there. That ship was not equipped for dealing with infections diseases, it was meant for all of the normal everyday injuries, car wrecks heart attacks, things like that.

Why wasn't it equipped to handle COVID patients instead?

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Well it was meant for treating casualties of war, not infections diseases. Now when they design the next hospital ship, they might take that into consideration.

They could have outfitted that ship for that if Cuomo wanted to. It would be for just COVID positive patients. Same with the Javitz center. Keep COVID patients separated. It was his call. He was in charge, and he said that everyday at his daily press conferences.

• Haha

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They could have outfitted that ship for that if Cuomo wanted to. It would be for just COVID positive patients.
No, he could not. It was an active duty navy hospital ship.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They could have outfitted that ship for that if Cuomo wanted to. It would be for just COVID positive patients. Same with the Javitz center. Keep COVID patients separated. It was his call. He was in charge, and he said that everyday at his daily press conferences.

The only person in charge of that ship was Trump as he was the president at the time.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wrong answer. Correct answer is I want this to be a COVID patient only ship. Whatever it takes and stat.
The bottom line is Cuomo moved covid positive patients into nursing homes despite having the ship and the Javits center available for covid patients. This resulted covid exposure to the most vulnerable members of the NYC population and hundreds, if not thousands of unnecessary deaths.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wrong answer. Correct answer is I want this to be a COVID patient only ship. Whatever it takes and stat.
We could debate this until the cows come home. Reality is, none of us know the prodedures required to do this. Perhaps somebody with military knowledge can chime in.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We could debate this until the cows come home. Reality is, none of us know the prodedures required to do this. Perhaps somebody with military knowledge can chime in.
The Captain of the ship said at the time that it would take a 6-9 month retrofit to convert the ship's beds to ICU COVID beds, and that was just for the oxygen supply lines alone. He said converting the ship into a covid ward wasn't economically or logistically feasible, and by the time the retrofit was completed the ship would likely no longer be needed.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Captain of the ship said at the time that it would take a 6-9 month retrofit to convert the ship's beds to ICU COVID beds, and that was just for the oxygen supply lines alone. He said converting the ship into a covid ward wasn't economically or logistically feasible, and by the time the retrofit was completed the ship would likely no longer be needed.
Looks like the cows came home.

Thanks for clearing it up.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I’m not totally sure about this but I would wager that Florida has way more nursing home beds than New York, which would allow desantis to do something like that here. Each state had to work with what resources they have.

Yea like in new York they found thousands of ventilators still in the crates....in a warehouse.....and blamed trump.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
It looks like Cuomo did ask for and get the ship to receive COVID patients. So apparently the ship could take COVID patients.
But a few points to make : He did have the presence of mind to use the ship for Covid patients.
But he didn’t isolate them adequately enough from the nursing homes, as is true with the other Governors. It was also early in the Pandemic and mistakes were made by everyone due to the unknown.
DeSantis however had the wherewithal EARLY ON to protect healthy seniors from the COVID patients in the nursing homes.

38B018D5-C10B-4E14-BC12-CA409857F655.png

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looks like the cows came home.

Thanks for clearing it up.
It looks like Cuomo did ask for and get the ship to receive COVID patients. So apparently the ship could take COVID patients.
But a few points to make : He did have the presence of mind to use the ship for Covid patients.
But he didn’t isolate them adequately enough from the nursing homes, as is true with the other Governors. It was also early in the Pandemic and mistakes were made by everyone due to the unknown.
DeSantis however had the wherewithal EARLY ON to protect healthy seniors from the COVID patients in the nursing homes.

View attachment 20858
Im glad we got that cleared up.

Reactions: muttly and Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And yet all of that gets utterly ignored when placing blame for not controlling an uncontrollable pandemic on the governor of Florida.
The human variables are the same in all states, yet some states seem to do better than others in managing the virus.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The human variables are the same in all states, yet some states seem to do better than others in managing the virus.
It may seem that way, right now. But 6 months ago it was a very different story with those same states. 6 months before that, another set of states were doing great.